Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,352,928 times

Advertisements

yeah, I am for sure. 8 years of Catachism (sp?) classes.

Alter boy and everthing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 AM

17,924 posts, read 27,333,298 times
You're by a nice Catholic church up there by Dublin and east of Academy and maybe just north of Vickers.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,131,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Ritter is a lot more middle-of-the-road than Kerry was. That may explain the difference. Same story with Senator Ken Salazar. He had a lot of statewide appeal due to his being seen as moderate.

The real test will be this year. Salazar and Ritter represent more the center-right of the Democratic party, but Mark Udall is more center-left. If Udall gets 40%+ in El Paso county, you can definitely say that things have shifted there.

That said, Colorado Springs is home to at least four major military facilities. Military people tend to vote GOP, just out of self-interest -- the GOP is paying their paycheck. Same reason why the UAW union people vote Dem. You'd vote GOP too if you were military. So, because of that, I think El Paso County and Colorado Springs is always going to trend to the Republicans.
Military people also tend to vote in their home state (home of record) rather than the state they're stationed in. When I was in the Air Force, we has someone in our unit assigne as a voting representative who coordinated everyone getting mail-in ballots from their home of record for a presidential election. Military people, especially Army, move around so much they normally don't become residents of the state they're stationed in. Now if there are a lot of military retirees in COS, that would have an effect, but not so much from active duty.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,259 times
Hello there,

I currently live in Bar Harbor, Maine. We moved here 1 1/2 years ago from Phoenix, AZ. This place is gorgeous and Acadia National Park is great. But there are no careers for professionals, and very little in the way of school choices.
I spent most of my life in the west. We are considering moving to Colorado Springs, for several reasons.
Plenty of career choices, school choices, climate and the overall conservative atmosphere there, particularly the presence of Focus on the Family.
The tourist season here is huge, millions every year. But the year-round population is small. There are only 1 million people in the whole state of Maine, and this state is large.
Very low crime, low pollution, and tons of ocean.
However, the winters can be very, very harsh.
Please, could someone who has been in the Colorado Springs area for more than 5 + years- please fill me in on the social climate and opportunities for entreprenuership. , and oh yeah- any good yoga studios?
Much appreciated.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,448,993 times
Not sure whether to take the thread as representative of CoS or not! My work transefr a bunch of Clevelanders in town, so I have access to a more liberal crew.

We may to outnumbered 2 to 1, but there are enclaves! Cool people are around.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,404,838 times
I didn't read the whole thread. I just wasn't interested after the first few. Here's my take and hopefully, it hasn't already been stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwhiz View Post
Is Colorado Springs getting more liberal? Are liberal Californians and North easterners moderating things a little bit? How well is Obama doing in CS? Are people fed up with Bush like everyone else or have they still drunk the kool-aid and voting McCain all the way?
It's pretty typical: The kids with little to no experience like BO. The more grounded, older folks like McCain.

Quote:
I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal with a lot of libertarian positions.
I'd love to hear how you come to the conclusion that Barack Obama is your man. Post in the politics section please. (Or PM me. I'm quite curious.)

Quote:
I don't care if gays marry or if people smoke dope or if people use prostitutes as long as they aren't hurting anyone and it's all safe...
Seems that you'd want a more libertarian Republican who's a fan of returning powers to the state... but what do I know?

Quote:
To be blunt, is it going to be hard for an agnostic guy to find dates and meet girls here? Are the girls really uptight about sex because...
Depends on you. There are always promiscuous women... The real question is do you have what it takes to crowd out the other peckers?

I have noticed a higher frequency of really filthy promiscuity than I've seen in other areas. I think that's what you're looking for. (If I might offer some advice, Maxim isn't the best source to get your life philosophies from. Every woman has a vagina that is only minutely different from the next one [if you know what you're doing with it]. I highly recommend that you search for something a little more unusual: A woman with a good job, good credit, cleans up after herself, cooks, good values, etc. Vaginas are easy to get... every woman has one... and if you're chasing the ones that are giving away turns with their private parts rather than building something, chances are you're courting a rough future.)

Happy humping... wear a rubber and don't forget your Valtrex!

By the way, please don't vote for Obama. Here you are telling us how you're making life decisions that are begging for diseases and self-destruction. That's perfectly fine... but I don't want to have to wait in line for you to get your chlamydia medicine. It's just not fair to me to wait for you because you wanted government to force me to be part of your system of health care. I don't live like that. I shouldn't have to pay a price for you living like that.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 PM

110 posts, read 293,345 times
Ummmm....eew maybe? OneThousand, I'd put your post in quotes, but I'm getting a little queasy reading it.....Poor OP is nowhere to be found I'm sure. All he wanted was some advice and outlook about the attitudes of people concerning their political and social outlooks, not your take on the damning consequences of premarital sex. Well OP, don't let them poison the well for you. It's a nice place to live if you ask me. People here aren't terrible. If they are, forget them. You will gravitate to people with your same ideas and views. And don't worry. Lots of people here are liberal. I and most of the people I work with are left-leaners. We liberals (ok, so I'm an Independent) didn't come here to vote Republican, we came here because we like the mountains.....

Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Dear OP, let me assure you that the balance will shift slightly to the conservative/Christian side when we finally move there. However, I promise I will not belabor you with my beliefs unless the subject comes up in the natural course of the conversation.

BTW, you are aware, are you not, that your position on illegal immigration puts you on the conservative side of the argument? I don't mean to alarm you, but conservatism has a way of creeping up on you as we mature and see more of life.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-14-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post

. Every woman has a vagina .
Aproximately 3 1/2 billion of them currently. You should be able to pick out a really decent woman out of that number. Why settle for a loose woman and guaranteed heartache?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,352,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You're by a nice Catholic church up there by Dublin and east of Academy and maybe just north of Vickers.

Yeah I know Dog, I spend alot of time right across the street at the Dublin House. How funny is it that there's an Irish Catholic Church, and Irish Bar, and an adoption agency all withing 300 ft of each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs