Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
You should be fortunate to be home to such a moral, principled organization such as Focus on the Family.

Seriously? GET BENT. FOF makes me sick.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 PM

110 posts, read 294,219 times
Hear hear!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 14,253 times
Katiana,

You're right, It WAS the U.S. Supreme Court that struck down Amendment 2. My mistake...

Cheers.
Glen

Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmyer View Post
As opposed to what? "Colorado Springs! Land of Cannibals!"

I bite my tongue so hard it bleeds.

Did you not read anything the poster wrote you just quoted? Ridiculous! Such an oversight! "You make all these points! EEEK! I bury my head in the sand and retaliate with a condescending remark! Run away! Run away!"

Really? Yes, we are so fortunate. Moral and prinicipalled, I won't argue that point. Scary and a little creepy? Yes! Bigoted? Yes again! Intolerant and needing to seriously get out of people's faces and stop cramming their ideas and beliefs down mine and everyone else's throats? A resounding yes!!!! Three cheers for bothersome!!! The high horse is an wonderful beast of burden.

(What is that style of writing I just did? Stream-of-Conciousness, or just "Filled-with-Annoyance"?)

I heart very much that you are so moral and principalled. So moral and principalled that you look down on everyone who doesn't believe what you do. How upright of you! So understanding! So sad that I don't go to that chuch. That must mean I am the opposite of moral and principalled. Huh. Well I didn't know it had gotten that bad. What's the world coming to?! Please don't try to convert me! I'm at your mercy! Uncle! Uncle!

And if anyone says the word "intolerant" is a ruse of the unconverted or those of "disgusting" lifestyles to confuse the masses, I might just scream. It means what it means. Intolerant, as is "not tolerant." As in, someone who can't look past their own face to see they are no better or worse than anyone else. I wish people would spend more time working on their own lives rather than spending all their time messing around in others'.

That said, I am not anti-christian. I grew up Baptist. I look forward to moving to COS so I can meet all kinds of people who believe all sorts of things. Besides, that's the only way to really grow as a person. To take every good thing about every person you meet and put it in your own life and use it; not to make other people feel inferior because you believe in a big spagetti monster in the sky.

I don't mean to offend. That little comment just struck me across my big, immoral face. I just get a little over-excited. Think nothing of it.
The Bible does speak out against all forms of perversion. Homosexuality is referred to as an abomination. Therefore, I don't see how you can speak negatively of a Christian organization that actually believes what their Holy Book speaks of.

All I have ever heard Dobson and Focus on the Family argue against is public schools being used to promote the homosexual lifestyle, or to say that homosexuality is simply another choice. He has also spoken out against "gay parades" and the like within towns, as children are exposed to such. Are you in favor of fake prosthetics detailing a penis being worn by men in drag, on top of floats, right in the middle of the street?

Your beef is with Christianity, not Dobson or Focus on the Family. He's simply a figure head, a symbol, so you attack him and his organization.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen210 View Post
Colorado Schools do poorly as compared to national average. We periodically get "stealth candidate" Evangelicals elected to the school boards (particularly up in Briargate) who then try to get Evolution taken out of the curriculum and Creationism put in. They eventually get re-called in special elections.

Politics: Only one Democrat representative locally. City Council bends over for the developers. Main newspaper is VERY conservative and slants the news by what they choose to cover (VERY heavy on trite military stories and Christian stories). TV news also VERY conservative. One long time newscaster was fired by the station owner because she refused to buy a car from Perkins Dodge, owned by Will Perkins, who penned and championed Amendment 2 in 1992, an anti-gay initiative to allow gross discrimination in housing, etc. against gays. It passed, but the State Supreme Court reversed it due to it being unconstitutional. Because of all the military here, there are lots of defense contractors here, too. That means lots of war-profiteering at the moment. This town is VERY pro-military and overwhelmingly supports the Iraq War, even as many conservatives around the country are turning against it.

I have lived in many western states, but this is the only one where I see groups of people praying in Fast Food and other restaurants before a meal and in the last couple years have had people ask me what church "I BELONG TO" as their first question when meeting me. I was used to this when traveling in the South, particularly Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. but it's new to me here. The city seems to be getting more conservative. I read recently that there are about 1,100 non-profits here and 700 or so are Conservative Christian-related.

The area up by the Air Force Academy is known as Briargate ( less affectionately known by some as "The Christian Ghetto" because it's LOADED with Evangelicals and Fundamentalists). It is about 95% Very Conservative Republicans, as are the neighborhoods south of town near Ft. Carson (Security and Widefield). I did a bid on a house up in Briargate just before Christmas and asked if Santa was bringing the owner's kids lots of good presents. I was given a horrified look and told that "Santa is how Satan spells his name when he's trying to trick us"! This attitude is not atypical for Evangelicals who attend "New Life Church", a local Briargate Mega-Church where Ted Haggard preached. This is NOT an open-minded or tolerant area and I have had many homeowners try to preach at me or 'convert' me when working on their houses. I have also had several tell me they weren't hiring me because I'm not an Evangelical! In my experience, vetting tradesmen using a religious litmus test is not uncommon and I have heard the same from others. "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal saviour "is sometimes the first question homeowners ask me up in that neighborhood.

So, there is another view about the place... Hope it helps. Maybe you are looking for all those things that I see as negatives. If so, I sincerely hope you love it here if and when you move here.

Cheers,
Glen
Where has Creationism been forced into any school curriculum within the past ten years. It hasn't. The absence of evolution is not Creationism. Creationism involves the Adam & Eve account in the Garden of Eden, as well as the Seven Days. Intelligent Design doesn't account for that, it merely states that a higher power is at work.

The so-called macroevolutionary argument is flawed, and it isn't reasonable or logical to even believe it. On the other hand, Intelligent Design can be argued. Note, I'm not talking about the Biblical Account of Creationism, which has to be believed on faith alone.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Ok, folks. I think this thread has run its course. If you want to discuss religion, please head on over to the Religion forum.
Thanks to all who participated!

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs