Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM

13 posts, read 29,445 times

Advertisements

I was trying to get an idea of how bad winters and springtimes are in Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs over the last 2 years. We are moving and have been here many times in the summer to see the area but not sure about these times of year. The good bad and the ugly would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:16 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
It is hard to describe Spring - anything goes - snow, 80+ degrees, rain, hail, drought, fire - anything can happen in spring. We tend to have a later start in terms of greening up, flowers blooming than some other regions of the country.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM

97 posts, read 192,806 times
It depends on where you are moving from and what constitutes a "bad" winter or spring for you.

For me, the winters and springs here are great.

I love snow, though. But you know what? I love snow that falls one day, leaves enough to play in the next day, and then melts the following day. That's what the snow is like in Colorado. Also, I like winters that aren't FREEZING. Colorado has some cold snaps, (around 0-degrees), but they only last like 3 days. I have spent years of my life in locations where those cold snaps last 6 weeks! It makes it VERY hard for the snow to melt in those places, and also VERY hard to enjoy playing in the snow. So, for me, Colorado winters are wonderful.

For me, any spring that doesn't include a ton of humidity and tornado warnings is a great spring. Colorado does get snow in the spring. But it melts in a day or 2. And then it's back into the 70's...

Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 AM

13 posts, read 29,445 times
Thanks for the comments. We are moving from the midwest so it sounds like more enjoyable winters than 3 months of 0 temperatures. Sounds like if your out and about be prepped for some bi polar weather.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refractedillusions View Post
Thanks for the comments. We are moving from the midwest so it sounds like more enjoyable winters than 3 months of 0 temperatures. Sounds like if your out and about be prepped for some bi polar weather.
We are much warmer than the Midwest during the winter. I HATED the winters in the Midwest. They are actually quite nice here. Some cold snaps, but most days it gets over 40F with strong sunshine. I'd say at least 1/2 of days there is a time during the day where you would not miss a coat if you decided to just run errands in jeans and a sweater.

To compare to Iowa's weather. In January around 66% to 75% of days in Co. Springs will be nicer than the absolute nicest day in Iowa for January. Don't believe the weather statistics too much. I spent 5 winters in Iowa and 4 were significantly colder than the reported statistics would indicate. Thus, the improvement when moving to Colorado was even larger.

On average we get about 3 days in January where the high for the day breaks 60. There will be a cold snap where it may not get over 5 or 10 for a day or two. When it ends, it will be nice winter weather again and such a cold snap seems to often include getting some beautiful snow which is thoroughly melted within a week. Most snowfalls melt within 1 to 2 days for the sunny areas. The shaded areas will hold the snow for a while.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,329,370 times
There is some good insight on the overall feel of winter here form the previous posts. I would add that it is dry. Bone sucking dry. That's why we have that awesome powder skiers enjoy. We do have to occasionally water the yard in Jan-Feb, which as it implies, means it is warm enough to do so without freezing a hose. Winter in CS and Manitou is typically not very snowy or very cold. We do get the occasional storm through here that will make things messy for a few days, but most of our snowfall will occur in March and April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs