Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:31 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,612,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne23 View Post
summer nights are COLD, you have to wear a jacket in July! and the wind in the spring is ridiculous. those are 2 big drawbacks.
Nice weather to hug up to your snuggly if you ask me....

Anyone who is complaining about living in a medium to large sized town (with jobs and infrastructure) and cool, dry weather in the middle of summer is...

Move to Santa Monica or Santa Barbara. Got a million for 800 square feet?

Last edited by Charles; 09-08-2007 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 PM

17,951 posts, read 27,385,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Nice weather to hug up to your snuggly if you ask me....
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/img40e661c60287b-11.gif (broken link)

Boo hoo! Waaaa!

But seriously, where would you have to be from to think any part of Colorado besides Mt Evans is cold in July? You'd have to be from south western Florida or the Equador.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-08-2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: perfectionizm

Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,511,707 times
Quote:
But seriously, where would you have to be from to think any part of Colorado besides Mt Evans is cold in July? You'd have to be from south western Florida or the Equador.
LOL! In 27 yrs here, I've occasionally had to wear a jacket to the fireworks on the 4th of July. I've also worn shorts and a tank top. The year I had a baby on the 4th of July, the high for the day was 98, I believe (in metro Denver). I, however, was enscosned in the hospital.

The roads are a lot better here than in Ill., Indiana, or Pennsylvania. I don't live in the Springs (have family there and visit frequently), but I know the snow removal in Denver is awful.

I always think it is amusing to see, on any forum, posts like "I've been here a week and I just love it!" Give it time for the honeymoon to end. I've lived in Colorado 27 yrs and I love it, warts and all.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 AM

26,175 posts, read 48,901,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne23 View Post
summer nights are COLD, you have to wear a jacket in July! and the wind in the spring is ridiculous. those are 2 big drawbacks.
If you think that's a drawback, okay, your glass is half full.

In my hometown of Baltimore, recently, this July, when the MLB O's took the field for a 7PM ballgame, the temp was 97 and they had humidity to match. You wouldn't catch me dead back east in that heat and humidity.

I love it here. When it gets cool here in the evening, with a good breeze, I tell people that I would've killed to have this climate back east. Here, when I go to Skysox ballgames, it tickles me pink to take a jacket and umbrella.

Speaking of when a glass is half full: an optimist, a pessimist and an engineer stare at a glass that's half full of water. The optimist says 'Oh Boy, I got half a glass' and the pessimist says 'Oh Rats, I only got half a glass' and the engineer says 'You dorks have the wrong size glass.' Perspectives.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,064,272 times
NO Floods in Colorado? Ever heard of the Platte River in Denver? How about The Big Thompson Canyon?

Cool nights in the Summers? love them.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM

431 posts, read 2,790,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Native View Post
From a Mojave Desert rat's perspective, please allow me to say my two cents worth:

There's a saying about Colorado weather I've heard many a time: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!"

There's some truth to that saying. The weather is unpredictable to the point you can't plan outdoor activities without having a "plan B" at the ready. I hate the black ice that can be sometimes encountered - unpredictably so - on paved surfaces (walking or driving) during Autumn, Winter, and Spring. I hate the pounding hail that pockmarks automobile bodies and roofs of houses and buildings in general. The automobile will still run, but look worse for the wear. The roofs need to be replaced. An additional expense for those who believe "'Tis a privilege to live in Colorado" as the Denver Post would say in days gone by. I personally don't count hail damage as a "privilege."

"It snows only a few times a year" is only partially true. Some years it snows more frequently. Some years you don't see road surfaces for weeks or months at at time. Snowpacked conditions do exist living in the Springs, though not all the time. Some years are lighter and easier weather years than others when it comes to snow. Others aren't. I oughta know. I experienced it firsthand.

OK, that's my two cents worth, FWIW. Thanks for letting me comment.

s/AV Native
My, my, good thing not everyone likes the same thing. I was born here, lived here all my life, never did my parents or my husband and I ever had to replace a roof from hail. Lived in Pueblo, plain area, Ilse, mt area, Leadville, mt area, Canon City, base of the mts. Just a few years ago did we have a garage that our camper/pickup and jeep sleep in. Old runarounds have never seen a garage inside. Black ice? seldom, snow ha, live in Leadville but no problem getting around. Had some hairy times going over Loveland pass before the tunnel but the worse was in Denver. Wasn't the weather so much as people who do not drive according to the weather. Myself I love winter. I hate wind and sand/dirt blowing and pitting the windshields and window. Yep--good thing we don't all like the same thing.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,511,707 times
Quote:
Yep--good thing we don't all like the same thing.
I agree, Nadine, but we did have a car totaled by hail (nothing wrong with the car, but it can't be insured except for liability). Many of our neighbors have had hail damage to their roofs. We've just been lucky in that regard, I guess. I, too, like winter.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 AM

21 posts, read 180,158 times
After living in Colorado springs for 4 years I am loving the warm summer nights on the east coast again. I don't like cold weather at all. Now, daytime temps in the summer in CO are great. The fall is great. Winter and spring (there is no spring) are cold and way too windy. If there wasn't the wind it woud be tolerable. I'd say if you don't like wind the west side is a little better to live as the mountains block it a tad.

I like Colorado Springs, but it is isolated, in the middle of the country, no beaches. Not many places to take day trips to except to ski towns. Ever go to Pagosa or Durango or Cortez etc. It gets old. There is more opportunity to travel around on the east coast but you pay the prices in housing. The Springs have a nice cost of living, you can get a great house and if you stick to districts 20, 12, and 38, you have great schools.

Leanne

Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,957,897 times
Summer nights cold? I wish they were a little colder in summer. In mid-summer the lows in the 60s. Seems pleasant to me, if a little stuffy inside. This time of year, in late summer, early fall, it's more like low 50s. That actually is even better.

I suppose if you have A/C that you can blast all night long, then summer nights in the 70s and 80s sounds tolerable. But if you don't have A/C, you'll suffocate every night in those temps.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 AM

75 posts, read 269,432 times
oh how I would love to live in Colorado....I keep dreaming of the day....
I live in Kissimmee, Florida.....terrible humidity, lots of traffic and there are
so many subdivisions and people -- that the roads can't handle it....
my kids are 7 miles from their school....it takes anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes
to get them there....school starts at 820 am and I have to leave my home at 720am.
let's just say I am trying to endure and keep positive....
at least you don't have hurricanes....but that is a whole other story....
I am used to them...as I have lived here my whole life....
my sister lives in Colorado with her family......and I just want to tell you how much
I enjoy coming to your state.....I think you are Great!!!!!
Kat
--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs