Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:30 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times

Advertisements

Apparently I have to do some clarification. Some people seem to get the impression that I only like people who have positive things to say about Colorado Springs. This is wrong. Compared to the rest of Colorado I don’t even like Colorado Springs. I think the springs are nicer then a lot of other places in the U.S. but I believe Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins are much more interesting and exciting cities. I also think a lot of mountain towns would be a much nicer place to live then the springs.

Sure the springs have a lot of things going for it but it is way too conservative for me. There is a lot of military in the area, lots of churches, guns shops, junk yards etc. and the shopping and entertainment venues leave a lot to be desired. That said, the springs have low crime, good schools, good traffic, little pollution. It is a nice city if you can put up with the other things. Plus Denver is not far if you are looking for some excitement.

I don’t see how I only like people who like the springs since I much prefer other parts of Colorado and would never choose to live there myself.

Also people seem to think I lie when I talk about how great the weather is in Colorado. It really is beautiful. On the Front Range it only snows a few times a year and it melts away pretty quickly. When you get up into the higher elevations it will snow more often and driving in the mountains can be torturous, but you adapt. It can get cold at night during the winter but you get used to it and it warms up pretty nicely during the day. During the summer it gets pretty hot but there is no humidity so it still feels nice in the shade. Colorado doesn’t get hurricanes or flooding and rarely gets tornados. I don’t really see what is so bad about this.

These are of course my opinions but if anybody has any comment on these thoughts feel free to post.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:44 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,974 times
I agree as to the weather in Colorado. They see the mts and run and hide. I am in Canon City just 40 miles N of you. And we are alittle warmer than you but not too much. Colorado Springs is a more expensive place to live and is growing terribly fast. But then so are we. I don't like it but-----------------

Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 35,391 times
I live in New Jersey, and i am considering moving my family to Colorado. I had a job interview in Colorado Springs. The homes are alot cheaper than in N.J. When I arrived i was very disappointed ! The traffic was terrible, When i stopped for directions at a 7-11, I was worried about being mugged. Most of what i saw was ghetto like. We looked at alot of nice homes , but, the neighborhoods appeared to be very economically mixed. I guess this is because its a millitary town? Colorado springs is not the place for me ! Fort Collins was better , but still very crowded.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 AM

77 posts, read 337,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutstone
I live in New Jersey, and i am considering moving my family to Colorado. I had a job interview in Colorado Springs. The homes are alot cheaper than in N.J. When I arrived i was very disappointed ! The traffic was terrible, When i stopped for directions at a 7-11, I was worried about being mugged. Most of what i saw was ghetto like. We looked at alot of nice homes , but, the neighborhoods appeared to be very economically mixed. I guess this is because its a millitary town? Colorado springs is not the place for me ! Fort Collins was better , but still very crowded.
Good grief! What area in CS were you in? We lived near the air force academy off of Woodmen Road and Union. It was a very nice area. Briargate is nice. There are nice and not so nice areas of all cities.

CS is a very easy city to get around in too.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Ah Kat, you haven't seen COSmix the I-25 expansion project. Nothing like going 5 miles an hour on a sunday afternoon when there is no real work going on.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default The I-25 expansion is just temporary

Yes, slow traffic through town is a pain, but COSMIX work is temporary, like the big project on I-25 in Denver. There are ways around it.

If I-25 is flowing okay southbound out of Denver, but you want to avoid the COSMIX work zones, take Exit 153, Interquest, going east about 1.5 miles, making no turns, until you pass New Life Church and Pikes Peak Community College. Just after the college, take a Right onto Powers Blvd. Follows Powers Blvd southbound about 10-12 miles, past the Airport, turning RIGHT (westbound) onto Drennan Rd. Go about 1.5 miles, then left (southbound) on S. Academy for about 1.5 miles, and it puts you back on I-25 at exit 135. This route bypasses all the traffic through town, is much newer road, has a ton of nice places to eat/shop, etc. Of course, if I were coming south from Castle Rock, I'd skip I-25 completely on Sunday and use Hwy 83, which is MUCH better, and Hwy 83 now has a junction with Powers near the community college I mentioned.

There are other ways, like taking Academy all the way down (exit 150), or taking exit 156 (Northgate) and following northgate over to Hwy 83, then south to Powers, etc. There are quite a few ways to skin the cat getting around the current, temporary congestion in the city.

s/Mike

Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutstone
That sure isn't the city I know. Can't imagine what part of town you were in, but nothing up here on the north side fits that description, not the houses, not the traffic, zip. With 400,000 people here, I'm sure we do have some less than wonderful, old, run-down sections, but I sure wish you had ventured up here to the Briargate, Pine Creek, Wolf Ranch, Gleneagles, Flying Horse, Jackson Creek, Monument, Woodmoor and Palmer Lakes area.

s/Mike

Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 PM

137 posts, read 774,518 times
Mike's right. You must have been in the central/ south part of town. I don't think anyone would feel that was about our northern neighborhoods.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,734 times
I have to say I am shocked too. I have lived here all of my life and I would say 70% of the city is safe. Sorry to hear that you left here with such a bad impression... SHEP

Old 08-05-2006, 10:52 AM

46 posts, read 362,793 times
Default What I don't like about Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777
[snip]
Also people seem to think I lie when I talk about how great the weather is in Colorado. It really is beautiful. On the Front Range it only snows a few times a year and it melts away pretty quickly. When you get up into the higher elevations it will snow more often and driving in the mountains can be torturous, but you adapt. It can get cold at night during the winter but you get used to it and it warms up pretty nicely during the day. During the summer it gets pretty hot but there is no humidity so it still feels nice in the shade. Colorado doesn’t get hurricanes or flooding and rarely gets tornados. I don’t really see what is so bad about this.

These are of course my opinions but if anybody has any comment on these thoughts feel free to post.
From a Mojave Desert rat's perspective, please allow me to say my two cents worth:

There's a saying about Colorado weather I've heard many a time: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!"

There's some truth to that saying. The weather is unpredictable to the point you can't plan outdoor activities without having a "plan B" at the ready. I hate the black ice that can be sometimes encountered - unpredictably so - on paved surfaces (walking or driving) during Autumn, Winter, and Spring. I hate the pounding hail that pockmarks automobile bodies and roofs of houses and buildings in general. The automobile will still run, but look worse for the wear. The roofs need to be replaced. An additional expense for those who believe "'Tis a privilege to live in Colorado" as the Denver Post would say in days gone by. I personally don't count hail damage as a "privilege."

"It snows only a few times a year" is only partially true. Some years it snows more frequently. Some years you don't see road surfaces for weeks or months at at time. Snowpacked conditions do exist living in the Springs, though not all the time. Some years are lighter and easier weather years than others when it comes to snow. Others aren't. I oughta know. I experienced it firsthand.

OK, that's my two cents worth, FWIW. Thanks for letting me comment.

s/AV Native
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs