U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 38,110 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am currently living in the overcrowded, overpriced swamplands they call Florida, and I'm looking for a change. I'm looking for a mountain city close to a University so I can finish up my degree. I've basically narrowed my choices down to Reno, NV and Colorado Springs, CO. Is there anyone in this forum that has been to both places that can give me a fair comparison? I lived in Nevada as a child but not in Reno, and I hear Reno has gone downhill quite a bit and is somewhat of a "dirty" town. I don't hear that at all about Colorado Springs. So what would you choose between the two and why? Thanks!

Last edited by cooper82; 01-28-2007 at 12:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 AM

87 posts, read 571,838 times
I currently live in C.S. and I'd say hands down C.S. is better. Honestly, these two cities are veryyy different. Reno seems extremely dry and the economy focuses on gambling. If you want a good size city with plenty of activites and places to go, come to Colorado.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:34 AM

53 posts, read 417,279 times
I probably can't give you a completely unbiased opinion. (I love Colorado Springs) But Money Magazine ranks Colorado Springs as the number 1 large city to live in. Reno is not on the list.

Colorado Springs is not really a mountain town (it is located on the eastern plains) but is so close to the mountains that it might as well be. Plus, parks have always been a priority here so there are many large parks and open spaces right in town. UCCS backs right up to an open space so you can get out for a hike any time you have a moment.

I can't imagine choosing Reno over Colorado Springs.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM

28 posts, read 109,117 times
I am moving to the Springs in the near future. I agree with Sonic that CS is a much nicer place to live. It is a much cleaner town. Reno seems dirty, it's as if the city chewed people up and spit them out on the street. Reno is far from beautiful but a very close drive to it. Colorado Springs is beautiful and a much friendlier environment.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 PM

exactly what i wanted to hear! Thanks for the replies. I'm visiting the area in early March for a week, hopefully the weather will permit me to explore the area. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 PM

28 posts, read 109,117 times
Default My opinion

I would not be the one to give detailed advise because I've never lived in either city. I have visited both cities a few times. My wife and I are moving to the Springs at the end of February. We spent many hours trying to find a perfect home. We new we loved Colorado Springs but we really did a lot of research to make sure it was right for us long term. We found out there is no "perfect place." The only thing that concerns my wife and I is the amount of snow and a reletively cold winter. I don't think these things are that big of a concern if you have a positive attitude towards them. And it really is not that bad.(weather wise) 9 months are above 50 degrees and it maintains a steady sunshine throughout the year. Outside of the Colorado winter the Springs are almost unbeatable in most catagories. Very stable econemy, major tourist attractions that will keep the family visiting. Absolutely stunning backdrop, very low poverty low crime. Commuting times are much better than comparable size cities. Very clean air. Low cost of living, consistant sunshine and it's not to large like Chicago, New york, Dallas, Austin, etc. Although Denver is a short drive away incase you want to go to an NFL or NBA game.

Now for Reno. If I were moving to that area I would probably live in Carson City. It seemed to be a little nicer. Much nicer people from my experience. Lake Tahoe City is Beautiful but there are many negatives, such as high crime, very expensive, and not to many jobs. (Although an awesome place to vacation.) Carson city would be nice because the drive to Lake Tohoe city would be easy. I really like the weather in that area but not enough to make me want to live there. If you like it because of the weather and dry desert like climate consider St. George Utah. It has desert climate but extremely beatiful, Very low crime, in between Bryce canyon, Zion Nat. Park and Grand Canyon not to mention it's a quick drive to Vegas. Walking trails virtually everywhere and many other positives. If you're looking for nightlife it's not the place. It's the fastest growing county in the country. pop of St. George 65,000. Greater St. George is about 135,000 and growing. But it can get toasty in the summer but remember it is a very dry heat.
Later

Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM

quick question- for my trip in March, will I be okay renting a standard car or should I opt for an SUV? I'm not sure how the weather usually is the first week of March, are the roads usually pretty safe or are they covered in snow?

Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Usually okay with a standard car. The rental firms here stock a lot of 4wd models, tried to get me to upgrade to one when we came househunting in March of 2005. At least that's what's happened to me flying into DIA.

If you're working with a realtor... many have 4wd, so maybe your realtor could pick you up? Mine has 2 of them.

Pay attention to weather reports...if the forecast 2 days out is bad, call your rental firm and change your reservation to 4wd, else don't worry about it.

s/Mike

Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 38,597 times
If you look at my Bio, you'll see I've made some rounds with moving...all of them within the past 6 years! I've just left Cheyenne, Wyoming and am renting and looking for a home in Colorado Sgs. I can't think of a better place to live along the Front Range towns...for beauty, weather, activities than this place. Fort Collins is a beautiful College town, but housing is very pricey. Believe it or not, little old Cheyenne was just as pricey, and boring, and WINDY as heck. Pueblo Co. gets a bad rap...I lived there, and housing is cheap, but it's an up and coming town if the Chamber would open their heads and get them out of their___! For instance, they lost the Walmart Distribution Center to Cheyenne because they just wouldn't accomodate big business whereas Cheyenne Council literally paved the way for next to nothing for the economic boost. But, anyway, Pueblo West in particular is growing by leaps and bounds. They are further from the Mountains than the Springs is, but they are very visible. The weather is mild for most of the winter, but I still got bored there. Colorado Springs is THE place of all places for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs