Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:22 PM

15 posts, read 32,690 times

Advertisements

my husband is retired military. He is going to work for a goverment contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
hey there!
How exciting that you are relocating out here! I am assuming it is a job transfer?

I would love to help you out. Are there any concerns that you have right now? Any hobbies that you have that you would like to jump into again when you get out here?

I am a Colorado Springs native, so if I don't have the answers, I will help you find them. Plus there are some great people on this forum too. So you should get your answer pretty quickly!

Do you know where you are gonna live yet? Maybe we can tell you what will be close by you, etc.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM

We are pretty sure on a house in Stetson Hills. What kind of shopping is around this area? I have always worked in retail/management. Concerns right now is distance from our home now. It is a little over 17 hours from family and friends. It is a great job offer, just wondering what would make us happier...a move, or to be around those we love most. We are very social people and my husband has always been involved in the American Legion. We will definetly be looking to meet people.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 PM

There is plenty of retails around there. You have Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Ross, Office Max, Kohls, JCPenny's. The list could go on. No worries there. There are alot of stuff on that side of town. A new hospital just went up over there, which is always nice.

You know, I have lived in Colorado Springs all of my life. Around my family. I have to say that I would love a change of pace to just try moving and see what I think. But we have decided to wait. Enjoy what we have here w/ our kids and grandparents and maybe do it another time. It is a big decision and one that only you can decide on. Alteast you know if you came here and didn't like it, you could always go back. but you won't know until you try, right?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Thanks s.o much for the advice. It is such a big decision, one that I think I am ready for. How bad are the winters? Alot of snow? I also hear it is really dry there-not alot of rain?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Hey there, Sorry it took so long to respond. I haven't been on City Data in a couple weeks. You know the winters aren't that bad. But with you coming from Vegas it will be an adjustment. We probably have 3 snow days a year for the schools. The rest of it is snow flurries here and there. Everybody loves the snow up through Christmas and then after the New Year we are ready for Spring.

How are you doing w/ you doing w/ your decision?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,326 times
My husband and I are also planning on relocating to Co Springs. We're hoping to find a cute place, unique and with character, if possible. We also have a dog and are looking to really jump start our lives. He just turned 30 and I will next year. We want to get more active and have walking access to shops, stores, trails, and other exercise if possible. Can anyone help with a specific area with those wants??? We are hoping for a rental deal but are planning on something around $1200 or so per month. WE aren't interested in purchasing a home for awhile, we've done that a few times already and want to make sure we LOVE where we live prior to purchasing again. WE aren't dead set on Co Springs, but it seems more up our alley than Denver, though Boulder sounds pretty interesting too. Being able to walk to the necessities would be an awesome life for us.

Any thoughts?

Sary

Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saryfairy View Post
My husband and I are also planning on relocating to Co Springs. We're hoping to find a cute place, unique and with character, if possible. We also have a dog and are looking to really jump start our lives. He just turned 30 and I will next year. We want to get more active and have walking access to shops, stores, trails, and other exercise if possible. Can anyone help with a specific area with those wants??? We are hoping for a rental deal but are planning on something around $1200 or so per month. WE aren't interested in purchasing a home for awhile, we've done that a few times already and want to make sure we LOVE where we live prior to purchasing again. WE aren't dead set on Co Springs, but it seems more up our alley than Denver, though Boulder sounds pretty interesting too. Being able to walk to the necessities would be an awesome life for us.

Any thoughts?
Sary

Your dog just turned 30? Sorry, couldn't resist. I am also a native and love it here. I've been around the world, literally, and except for one place I won't name, I haven't found any place I'd rather live. Although I'm on the SE end, what you're looking for is probably northeast or west side of the city. Good luck. There's a lot of threads on here about this city, both for and against. You'll have to draw your own conclusions.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 16,089 times
I've only lived in the Springs for a few years, and I've had good and bad experiences. We PCS'd (transferred) here 2.5 years ago from Tampa, and were excited to be back near the mountains again. Unfortunately, we built our home through a builder's website, and had no idea that Falcon was actually so FAR away from the mountains. We love the friendly neighborhoods in Falcon, and the rec centers, and all the kids, but we wish we had some real trees (not these dinky, cheap ones planted by the builder). If you are moving here for the mountains, don't buy in Falcon, but if you just want a nice neighborhood, and newer schools, Rec centers, etc. Falcon is great.

Good luck to SaryFairy on finding a unique home. Most of them are cookie cutter tract homes, and the builders keep right on building them. Some of them are pretty; we love ours, but there are 5 homes on our street that are the same model.

To Brooklyn2525, my opinion is that you discover a lot about yourself when you live away from family, but if you have young children, it's a tough decision to move them away from positive adult role models.

I have lived away from family for 8 years, across 5 states, and we are moving home to Utah to be near them again. As much as I hate winter, and cold, and would love to move to Florida again, you can't put a price on family. I've grown a lot since I've been away, but I'm glad to go back now. I have to agree with Bashep, though, and say, You won't know until you try. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs