Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM

83 posts, read 304,734 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

This is just a general question: what do you guys drive, especially in winter? Do you like it? If you could have *any* 4 x 4, what would it be?

I am contemplating a Jeep Cherokee for CO winter weather and I thought I'd see what the consensus is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I drive a Honda Accord...1993 thank you very much. I used to have a couple of trucks and honestly, she does as well if not better than my trucks did.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I have driven 4WD's in Colorado for going on 40 years now. A lot depends on the kind of driving you intend to do. Very trail-capable 4x4's may not be the best for winter driving and vice versa. The Cherokee (the 1997 to 2001 models tend to be the most reliable) is a good compromise vehicle. The trend for more than a decade is making 4x4's more road comfortable and less trail-capable. At the same time, many all-wheel-drive cars have come on the market that are more fuel-efficient and comfortable than typical 4WD's. If winter driving is your concern, these can be a good choice (Subarus, for example). For that matter, a good front-wheel-drive car with traction control will do about as well as an AWD or 4WD in all but the worst winter driving conditions.

These days, there really isn't much of a selection of new 4x4's that are really backcountry capable out of the box. Of course, with fuel costs where they are, it makes little sense to buy a new 4x4. There are plenty of people willing to dump their used 4x4 at relatively bargain prices these days.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Whatever you drive, a Toyota is where my money is. But 4WD only means you slide on all 4 tires on ice instead of 2. 4x4's and all that mess don't make a bit of difference if you can't drive in our constant changing wheather.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I drive a 2008 Nissan Armada personally, but that is from Ftn to Fort Carson, so very little snow and ice issues. It is more for hauling a bunch of kids around than anything because it seats 8, not the snow or 4x4ing. My hubby drives back and forth from USAFA to Ftn in a 2001 Dodge Neon most of the year. Since non-essential personel delays/closures don't apply to him, he takes the 2003 3500 Diesel truck on yucky days and leaves about 30 minutes to 1 hr early and takes it slow or he goes up before the storm and spends the night at the fire station. I would venture to say he has to take the truck about a dozen times a year because of roads and has only gone up before the storm maybe twice because it was expected to be that bad.
The weather just doesn't get that bad and when it does, the city shuts down for a few hours, long enough for it all to melt. Of course everyone goes out anyways to run to the store, go sledding, etc.
Please don't go buy a vehicle for weather reasons--unless you are scooting around in motorcycle or scooter and want a bit more protection from the elements, it isn't worth it.

Most people here get 4x4s for off roading and not for weather.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I drive a 2008 Nissan Armada personally, but that is from Ftn to Fort Carson, so very little snow and ice issues. It is more for hauling a bunch of kids around than anything because it seats 8, not the snow or 4x4ing. My hubby drives back and forth from USAFA to Ftn in a 2001 Dodge Neon most of the year. Since non-essential personel delays/closures don't apply to him, he takes the 2003 3500 Diesel truck on yucky days and leaves about 30 minutes to 1 hr early and takes it slow or he goes up before the storm and spends the night at the fire station. I would venture to say he has to take the truck about a dozen times a year because of roads and has only gone up before the storm maybe twice because it was expected to be that bad.
The weather just doesn't get that bad and when it does, the city shuts down for a few hours, long enough for it all to melt. Of course everyone goes out anyways to run to the store, go sledding, etc.
Please don't go buy a vehicle for weather reasons--unless you are scooting around in motorcycle or scooter and want a bit more protection from the elements, it isn't worth it.

Most people here get 4x4s for off roading and not for weather.
Very well said Froggin

Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I drive this:

http://www.realproofonline.com/lj/honda1.jpg

yeah, having problems.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
I'm staying out of this one.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM

83 posts, read 304,734 times
LOL. Thanks all! I appreciate your guys' input.

So, to sum up, 4 x 4s do more for you in dirt/rocks than they do in snow, and if you're a decent driver and learn the conditions, even a passenger car can do the trick, except in especially bad weather. Pretty close?

Any 4 x 4 diehards out there who want to throw out an opinion?

I think, with all the outdoor things to do out here (skiing, rafting, etc.), and my dogs, I may want one anyhow, and a 1999 or so Cherokee with a straight 6 is sounding pretty good.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Ok I take it back, i'm not staying out. I am a 4X4 Diehard, and although I would never EVER trade my truck for a car, I do realize that you don't have to own a 4x4 to live here.

It all depends on what and where you plan on going to. If you never leave the city, then yes, a car will do just fine. If you're like me, and your job and travels consantly take you into the mountains, then a 4x4 is a requirement.

I"ve owned several Cherokees, and they make fine vehicles, although i'm partial to Wranglers myself. They're a bit more nimble offroad due to the short wheel base.

4 wheel drive vehicles are extremely popular here. THere are more Jeeps and Subaru's registered here than in any other state.

There's also a good reason why the Jeep Jamboree is being held in Ouray this year. Jeep and Chrylser could have picked anywhere else in the country to hold that event. Although it isn't the only stop on the tour, it's a major one. Check it out. http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 09-10-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs