U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:46 AM

565 posts, read 1,194,398 times
When I lived out in the California desert for a few years with the military, we temporarily took in cats from the shelter that were about to be put down and found families for them. We had one we took in that was a complete outdoor cat - we always kept the cats inside but, this one would make it out the door with the slightest opportunity. There were lots of coyotes in the area and we would hear coyote/cat confrontations weekly with coyotes yipping to each other followed by cat snarling sounds that would end. This cat we caught again and eventually found a family to take it - but it was unique. It looked a bit like a bulldog in shape with huge muscular front shoulders. It was part mancoon (sp?) with 7 claws on each front paw and 6 claws on each rear. It had tons of scars on its face from fights - apparently it had managed to hold its own against coyotes for a while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 AM

10 posts, read 16,252 times
I swear I'm telling the truth. There are religious cults and sects that make it a point, I guess, to sacrifice cats, for some unknown reason, in Manitou Springs. I lived on Ruxton Ave, and I let my cat out, and my friend found him strung up, disemboweled, on a post just off of Manitou Ave. SO, I wouldn't recommend letting your cats out after nightfall. Hate to burst bubbles here, but...

Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 AM

10 posts, read 16,252 times
I dont have anything against any religions, but when they do that... (Just making sure you knew I wasn't some crazy conservative BSing about Manitou)

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM

392 posts, read 395,902 times
Just remember to mention that there are crazy people everywhere, some who are very cruel to animals. And then there are the abusive pet owners who have no right owning a pet.

In the end, Manitou has a few crazies, what town or city doesn't - the reputation this town gets by saying such things is so totally away from the reality of living here that I'm sick of hearing about it. There also happens to be a very large Christian ministry in this town ... don't forget to mention that. End of story.

Love the story about the cat and the coyotes - another reason I think my cat has street smarts is that I watched him stand down a neighbor's dog once and he wasn't fooling around.

He also knows when he shouldn't be outside. One day he was sitting by the back door just staring and staring outside and looking at me, trying to tell me something. Not too long after that I heard my screen door being ripped open by a bear who was halfway into my house by the time I made it to the door. The cat knew. The bear took off as soon as it saw me. Ever since then I watch and trust when Cody (my cat) tells me something is not right.

Do I think he could stand down a mountain lion? No. But I'm not going to take away his right to be a cat. He's almost 20 years old and he's had and is still having a good cat life, and part of that life is being able to enjoy the outdoors once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMute00 View Post
I swear I'm telling the truth. There are religious cults and sects that make it a point, I guess, to sacrifice cats, for some unknown reason, in Manitou Springs. I lived on Ruxton Ave, and I let my cat out, and my friend found him strung up, disemboweled, on a post just off of Manitou Ave. SO, I wouldn't recommend letting your cats out after nightfall. Hate to burst bubbles here, but...

Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM

612 posts, read 1,262,876 times
I'd never ever hurt one of the lil' critters, but I think it's purely a matter of courtesy to your neighbors to keep your pet cats and dogs under control at all times.

I have a neighbor who lets her cat out at night in the summer months and the cat seems to think my front and back yard are it's own private fenced-in litter box.

I'm constantly having to "shoo" it out of my back yard at night and it jumps over the fence and runs home.

I don't have a pet, I shouldn't have to clean up after hers or anyone's.

I'm sure she wonders where the lil' plastic bags of poo come from when they're laying at her doorstep in the morning. All I know is, I shouldn't have to deal with it.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM

My cat uses his indoor litter box and is not an "out of control" cat ... if he was, I wouldn't let him out.

Talk to your neighbor about it - that's what I'd do instead of picking up their cat's poo.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:35 AM

12 posts, read 17,371 times
I live in Teller County, and I have heard many stories of coyotes killing house cats. Cats don't last long up here. The same thing happens in the Springs I am sure. I have even heard of red tail hawks swooping down to take away cats. Imagine the sight. I have a 20 year old cat....he has NEVER been outside the house by himself. I don't understand how people can allow their loved cat the freedom to roam a neighborhood and perhaps.... never return.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM

I know someone in Manitou who witnessed his neighbor's cat being whisked into the air by a hawk - I can't imagine. My cat was an outdoor cat when he found me, and has remained so for 20 years and well over more than the 9 lives he's supposed to have.

He doesn't roam, but stays close to home. If I don't let him out once and a while, he drives me insane. I put his collar on, tell him I love him and "to be careful" out there.

And there have been times when I've told him he's never going out again, but he has never been strictly an indoor cat and never will be, so it's hard to stick to that. I think it's easier if you raise them from a kitten and they never know the difference. I don't love him any less than you love your cat. I just know what he wants and give it to him - regardless of the concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs