Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:38 AM

7 posts, read 17,986 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I are considering moving to Colorado, and have been considering a few diferent areas.
I have posted in the Denver forum and found a number of the people on there pretty hard edged (see my post regarding outdoor cats!)
I appreciate that people have wildly differing views on the subject, but, personal views aside, would it be safe for my two cats to go outside in any area around Manitou, or is it just too dangerous?
I would not let my cats roam too far BTW or go onto neighbours property.
Is fencing off an area possible, or would wildlife just get in and attack my cats anyway?
I hope the folks on here are a little friendlier than those in Denver.

Thank you for your time,
John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 AM

368 posts, read 831,109 times
Cats are part of the landscape in Manitou. You should have no problems but not all like cats so it seems to be risky no matter where you live. Depending on where you live in Manitou a yard is seen as a luxury, not much space between houses. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:25 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
Just so everyone is clear, I have already put my view out there:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5248285-post2.html

Oh and a few people agree with me. Just saying.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 AM

COflower,

I should imagine an awful lot of people are familiar with your views on a wide range of subjects.

Cheers,
John.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
< snicker >

I deserved that. But yeah, I wanted to be sure people knew that I had already posted on this subject as you did it in the Denver forum. I was born and raised here and in my life a lot of lost kitties. Partly lost because of coyotes. You rarely see them around here and they do that on purpose but they live along Colorado's Front Range so expect the loss of your kitties to happen. Bengals are a welcome breed in our area (so as far as I know) but also please know they need to be indoor kitties unless supervised. Manitou or the west side is not a desirable place for outdoor cats...no place is unless you own many, many, many acres of land. Heck even out east of us, wild packs of dogs live.

For you and the love you have for your cats, please make them indoor. You will not regret this decision. I promise you. Heck my dog is mostly indoor (so he's not a pain in the butt for the neighbors as he is a barker)...so please reconsider it.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
John: Please do not take a few posts as indicative of the general attitude up in Denver. I just posted something a few minutes ago, and another more pro-cat person posted earlier this morning.

In fact, the reason I jumped into that fray at all was to give an alternate opinion, especially because the first few posters said you should stay in the UK if you wanted to let your cats out! In fact, I think that was the first response. Not exactly a Colorado welcome!

The coyote issue is probably more of a concern than mtn lions in the metro Denver area. I don't know COS well, but my niece has a cat down there and she lets him go in and out. He is 7 yrs old, so he hasn't gotten eaten yet.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 AM

110 posts, read 294,196 times
I would say, only for the safety of your cat, do keep it indoors, and if you are to let it out, keep a good eye on it. It would be terrible for your cat to be killed just because you let it out one day and went to work. Not only are there coyotes, there are fox, the neighbors dog, cars, any number of dangers for an animal of small size and strength. They can easily get lost, even if you do have a fenced yard. If you cat has their claws, that might be a little better, but I would suggest keeping them inside or outside only when you are watching them.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmyer View Post
I would say, only for the safety of your cat, do keep it indoors, and if you are to let it out, keep a good eye on it. It would be terrible for your cat to be killed just because you let it out one day and went to work. Not only are there coyotes, there are fox, the neighbors dog, cars, any number of dangers for an animal of small size and strength. They can easily get lost, even if you do have a fenced yard. If you cat has their claws, that might be a little better, but I would suggest keeping them inside or outside only when you are watching them.
I would definitely agree with that. Our cat(s) stay in when we're not at home. The one we have now thinks she's part dog, and comes pawing at the back door to come in after a short time outside. Always in at night, even if we have to go looking for her.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Hello Katiana,

That is the kind of thing I had in mind, out in the day if it was safe, and one of us was at home, but definitely in at night.
May I also thank you very much for your kind help, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
John,

Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
My DH and I HAD a cat (for 11 years). She WAS the most loving, tolerant cat ever!! I have a small dog that hated her and she never even swiped at him...just ran and tolerated him. Anyway........... she WAS indoor/outdoor. Her food/water and warm bed were inside.
She WAS a hunter though. Ate and killed everything outdoors.
We move to Florida a year and a half ago (been back for 6 months now).
We moved to Vero Beach (directly on the ocean with, 9 acres of jungle around us)............she was in heaven (on the backside, not the ocean side),
We saw her last June on Fathers Day....we were sitting on the ocean in our lounge chairs (she NEVER came on the ocean side). She stayed with us for about a half an hour and,....we haven't seen her since.
I am sure she got too close to some of the bobcats that walked the property OR, someone thought she was soooo beautiful, they kept her!

I am on 2 acres with all kinds of wildlife...she could kick any of their a$$es. I am glad she was with us for 1 month but,.....I would say to WATCH your precious cats....one never knows.
Cayote, foxes, skunks, farm cats, etc...were no match...it all depends on what they are used to in THEIR original enviroment! Be safe for them ,...Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs