Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

We've discussed the religious groups on this forum many times, just SEARCH on religion or evangelicals to find the threads.

Short version: All denominations are here, along with the HQs of several national organizations. There is very little door knocking, we've had it twice in three years from the JW's, who are very polite and a simply 'no thanks' is all that's needed. This is actually less door knocking then we had back east in northern VA, near DC. I don't think I've seen a single farm or hill here with the 3 crosses on it like we saw back in VA and the east hundreds of times. AFAIK there is no reason to avoid COL SPGS due to the religious fervor of some people, as they all seem to keep to themselves, which IMO is how all of us should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Well, I think most of us treat solicitations politely when we only have to deal with it occasionally. However, when it gets out of control, politeness goes out the window. In the past few weeks, I've literally been getting 3-4 unsolicited calls PER DAY on my unlisted number and/or my cell phone from survey groups trying to survey me about politics/election. I've requested each and every one permanently remove me from list. Not all of them have been very nice about my request (one surveyor was downright nasty), and so I've lost all patience or politeness with such solicitations, immediately responding to all with a, "I do not take unsolicited calls or participate in surveys. You are illegally calling me on a cellular phone. Please remove me permanently for your list."
I can certainly understand your frustration in that case, but it still doesn't sound like you're being outright rude, just frank and little abrupt, but with good reason.

Honestly, most people I meet in the territory are pretty nice, even when I can tell they don't want to be bothered, and I appreciate it when people are honest about their disinterest. As in anything, it's those few that seem to get their jollies out of treating a stranger rudely that spoil it for the many. I try to turn the other cheek though (Mat. 5:39), especially since I used to feel the same way.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
I know this is completely off subject, but I would really like to know how these pollers acquire unlisted, unpublished and cell numbers? There's something fishy about that. I know the caller is just doing a job, but somebody has access to those numbers and that don't sound ligit !!!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:53 PM

165 posts, read 437,509 times
Yeah the calling is mind-numbingly obnoxious.

I have not had any signs on any of my doors in the past, have had a few religious people knock on the door. It was universally a neurtal experience except for one instance. I did have a negative experience with a JW at my door one time, the "no thank you" and subsequent "no thank yous" did not work and it turned unpleasant. It also made me mad because I like being polite, I do not enjoy being rude, some people do. I am not interested in half-cocked theological discussions on my porch at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning, and after the "no thank you" didn't work, I started to get more forceful. I like to not loose my temper, when I get upset I get quiet and measured with how I speak, and this person pushed me to the point where it became personal. Since he was telling me that my beliefs were wrong I proceeded to explain to him that I felt his beliefs should wind him up in a mental institution for life, that before I ever opened my mouth to him when I saw him with his book and his cheap suit I knew he was a lunatic. This created a break in his talking which let me shuffle him off my porch, I ended it with a friendly "God loves everyone, except you." The only problem after that is that it dawned on me that I let a significant amount of my personal views out to this random stranger-zealot, and he knew where I lived. i slept uncomfortably for a few days, but nothing ever came of it. I have since come to the conclusion that the JWs as a group couldn't be blamed, that the one person that I interacted with had the issues, and have no problems with them or anyone else today. Though I still stand firmly by my conclusion about their beliefs.

I will probably have a sign up in the future.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 83,653 times
I've been here for almost 2 years, and not once have I encountered anyone who's asked me anything about my religion, and certainly not anyone who has ever challenged me or been antagonistic. People here are generally very friendly in my experience. Maybe I'm just focused on the mountains.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Blue simple, I'm very sorry that your experience went so horribly afoul. It's to your credit that you put the blame on the individual and not the group. Of course I can't figure out why any JW in their right mind would have been at your home at 7am. Rest assured, if I ever found out anyone in my hall was doing that I would certainly give them some counsel on kindness and tact, to be sure.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 PM

154 posts, read 431,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKirk View Post
I've been here for almost 2 years, and not once have I encountered anyone who's asked me anything about my religion, and certainly not anyone who has ever challenged me or been antagonistic. People here are generally very friendly in my experience. Maybe I'm just focused on the mountains.
Same here I am focused on the mountains!! There is so much to do here.... I just walk away from all the church goers and fully enjoy the nature Colorado has to offer Unfortunately most of those church goers are so focused on their church and so busy with it....they do not have the time to enjoy the wonderful outdoors here in Colorado!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxLuva View Post
I know this is completely off subject, but I would really like to know how these pollers acquire unlisted, unpublished and cell numbers? There's something fishy about that. I know the caller is just doing a job, but somebody has access to those numbers and that don't sound ligit !!!
You know...now that you bring that up and now that I think about it, that is weird. My phone is unlisted, on the "do not call list" both with the state and with the feds...which you are not immune from the political or charity solicitations on either list but how they got my number (both the repubs and demos have called me recently - I am a registered Libertarian) is suspect.

Hehe, the repub woman that called caught me in the middle of brushing my teeth...I answered it because I was expecting an important call so I was prepared to (um) spit if it was the person I was expecting (failed to look at Caller ID) so she got a jumbled "I'm brushing my teeth and I am a Libertarian".

The call from the demo woman got quite the earful of how I am not voting for either of the big two candidates as I am registered Libertarian and blah, blah, blah.

But how they got my number is beyond my scope of understanding.

(weee, too much coffee and now I am a chatter box!)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
So you've taught your children to treat strangers with sarcasm and indignity? How clever.

Thank you!

Now, we could get up and answer the door and say "No, thank you", but the whole reason I put a sign up there is so that I wouldn't have to. My doorbell rings 2-3x a day. Granted, FedEx is almost always one of them, but it gets old. I don't mind the children - Scouts, school kids, etc, but maybe it's just not as bad in your neighborhood. In my neighborhood, it's constant.

It doesn't make me angry, but I have better things to do - why should I have to interrupt a story I'm reading my kids to tell some guy that I do NOT want a free estimate on new windows? Why should I have to leave a pot cooking on the stove so I can tell someone that I am not interested in their cleaning product? My sign should save us both time. I do not allow my children to open the door to strangers, so it's not like someone else is going to open it for me. Maybe you would like to volunteer? You don't mind. Perhaps you'd like to give me your phone number so I can give it out to the people who after 2 years still don't get that I am not the school district and keep faxing me (no, not parents - the same vendors over and over again). At least one of them finally stopped. It was costing me OUTRAGEOUS amounts of toner and paper - then one of them sent me his home number through the fax.

I spent 3 days calling that number at all times of the day and night. He finally got the picture.

Now why did I have to get rude? Because a simple fax back with "The fax you sent this to (insert number) did NOT reach the correct person. Please be more careful when you dial" had no effect. I got progressively nastier until he sent that fax with his number after about 18 months.

I am tired of spending my time and effort to cover for the incompetence (or laziness) of those surrounding me. It's called personal responsibility. I'm teaching it to my children right along with the sarcasm.

Indignity? Only if those people really can't read, in which case I do NOT want them using power tools near my home!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
But how they got my number is beyond my scope of understanding.
Yes, it's pretty amazing how telemarketers and such always manage to get these unlisted and DNC numbers despite every effort to keep it private. Of course, an easy place to start is to check your name on some of the reverse phone directories, if your name comes up by tel. # or address, that will probably be a major culprit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs