U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 PM

57 posts, read 260,659 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to see this. My wife and I are going to be moving there in July (at the latest, depending on what I can do with my lease here, you want to talk about a nightmare situation .... ) and can't wait. I have some family in Pueblo West and they rant and rave about it there. I'll be renting when I get out there, and I'll be buying a home once I get acclimated to the area.

Big highways are a good thing to me. It means forethought and less congestion (a huge problem here in Tucson). I'm a little nervous about driving in the snow and having to worry about rust and the like, but the trade-offs make this a no-brainer.

You're seem to be right in the area that I'm looking at as well. How's the scenery? I'm looking forward to grass and trees instead of dirt and rocks and vegetation that you can't touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,206 times
Default see you there!

After months of lurking I figured it was time to join, if only to thank Mike from Back East (and Curious in CT). We've been contemplating the the move for a couple of years now and have been out a bunch of times to lay the groundwork...well I just got back from finding a house (Broadmoore Bluffs area) and managing to enroll both kids in school (that had a wait list until the day before I got there), and we will drive out for real the first week of March! Anyway, SO glad I came across this forum, it was so helpful. So, maybe I'll run into one of you all in Garden of the Gods or something
We're all so excited (except the dog - she's a whippet and will freeze her butt off)

Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 AM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
Default makingthemove....

....Welcome to City-data! Thanks for speaking up.

Tell us whereabouts Broadmoor Bluffs is located here in town, what you liked about it, etc.

Thanks!
s/Mike fbe

Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 AM

119 posts, read 630,921 times
Default 500 Mike

I totally understand what you're saying. I at heart wouldn't want to live here and then see it become a rat race either. I'm just trying to help others who have been thinking about it see my perspective being from the east coast. Seems like a lot of people coming out here are already from the west. And it's not just me or Mike from back East telling everyone to come out here. Unfortunately the news is out. This place was voted #1 place to live by Money Magazine last year.....so obviously people are going to be packing their bags and seeing what all the buzz is about. I wanted to be out here 10 years ago when it was still relatively undeveloped. I fell in love with it then and it has been on my mind ever since. It just took a while to do. I want people who are somewhat scared as I was to go ahead and take the chance. Why live and experience only one place when there's so much more in this world to see. Life is too short. Have fun.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,530,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mike View Post
Curious in CT.

I have been reading on this site for a while now and of course i'm glad you're happy to be in COS.
But.
Is seems people are out to turn places like cos into a huge metro area -telling the whole www. to come to cos.
Will you and many others onboard here enjoy cos when it's stifled w/thousands of people and traffic and w/that comes high taxs etc..?
500Mike,

Don't worry -- even if everyone who read this post moves to COS I doubt we'd notice the difference.

I think we're all torn about the growth we experience here, but I don't take my frustrations out on people like Curious in CT who decide to move to our state. If I were in their shoes, I'd make the move too. So, I try to be as friendly as I can to newcomers and from what I can tell most Coloradoans seem to react the same way.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,206 times
I am a complete novice at chat rooms so I'm not sure if I'm replying correctly, but to answer Mike...
So, the broadmoore bluffs area is just southwest of the hotel area as far as I can tell, in the foothills of the front range (does that sound about right?). It's a hilly, mature trees kind of neighborhood, seems like a lot of kids live in the area. It's d-12 schools, we're in Cheyenne Elementary. I would have been thrilled with either d-12 or 20 schools but ended up picking this area because we preferred the geographic look & feel of the more southern area - I'm too impatient to wait 10 years for trees to grow in Flying Horse We're renting for now to be sure, but as it happens the house is also for sale so we'll see...
We're coming from San Jose, CA. We were both born & raised in the Bay area and while we were away for a few years in the 90's and early 2000, everything went crazy here. Moved back 5 years ago and it's never felt like home used to. Same gripes as everyone, too much traffic, too much...everything. Our kids are still young enough to be excited about a change, so here we go! I had to laugh when I enrolled them in school there, the first thing the woman said was, "California schools, hmmm, your kids will probably be behind here...". I told her they're in private school so maybe they'll be ok
But I won't miss having to pay a small fortune in tuition to get a good education!
One thing I am looking for, if anyone knows, is an enclosed dog park area, does such a thing exist there? I'm afraid our not-so-bright dog will take off and never run out of open space and we'll never see her again.
Anyway, we arrive around March 10th (maybe in time for heavy snow eh?), and can't wait to get outta here!
Thanks again for all the great advice and info about CO Springs!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingthemove View Post
... Broadmoore Bluffs area is just southwest of the hotel area as far as I can tell, in the foothills of the front range ... a hilly, mature trees kind of neighborhood, seems like a lot of kids live in the area... d-12 schools... too impatient to wait 10 years for trees to grow in Flying Horse...
Thanks for the info. It's pretty down there. Some Sunday morning, you simply MUST do the brunch at the Broadmoor Hotel. OMG! It is legendary. Hope you like chocolate waterfalls... no need to dress up very much either. The view from there is awesome...walk around the lake...

s/Mike

Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 18,939 times
Curious in CT ,

Glad you're there and happy.

tfox ,

You're right and it's a free country .

Best to all -Mike

Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 AM

220 posts, read 701,869 times
Good morning All. We just passed the 60-day mark in Colorado from NY and wanted to throw our 2.5cents in. Compared to the roads back east, the traffic here(save for that around Denver Proper) is a joke. 11 miles in 55 minutes is traffic! Lots of big roads and wide open spaces which I love. The snow has been pretty bad this year and we're told "it's not like this here" just about everywhere we go. When the sun comes out, it's beautiful and the scenery is magnificent. If you're into wildlife and scenery, this is definitely the place to be.

Our kids took to school immediately and have been thriving. This was one of our biggest worries; thankfully they were welcomed heartily.
Here's are my thoughts on the pros and cons vs. the Northeast.

Pros:
1- The people are far friendlier on average and it's genuine;
2- The roads are far less crowded and the sense of urgency to get nowhere is pleasantly missing. In NY, everyone is in a rush even if it's just to get home. I haven't heard a horn since I am here.
3- Intelligent people are abound and they're active in the community.
4- Tremendous growth opportunities in many sectors.
5- Even though it's freezing out, the sky is still incredibly blue with bright sunshine. NY is Gray for a good part of the winter and it's so depressing. To stare out at the mountains and see Long's peak daily is a beautiful thing. It's akin to owning waterfront property. You've all heard about Arizona's "DRY HEAT", well the dry cold is a good thing when compared with damp cold. If your from the Northeast, you will need a humidifier!
6- If you're into the outdoors, Colorado cannot be beat. From hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, snowmobiling, canoeing, to fly fishing, this is an outdoor paradise.
7- Definitely a buyers market. The amount of new construction here seriously erodes the resale market, so many a 5-year old house can be had at a discount to new. Housing is much more affordable than the Metro NY area here.
8- Taxes are low in many areas. When I say low, I mean in comparison to Long Island, they are 50% less! Electric is far cheaper here with gas being similar.
9- The shopping here is excellent with minimal crowding. Nothing like the Northeast. We shopped on Christmas eve at the Flatirons Mall and it was only slightly more congested than a typical Saturday at the local mall on Long Island.
10- You can actually get assistance in most stores without having to search far and wide for a rep. This is a great thing.
11- wildlife is everywhere. We've seen foxes, coyotes, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, moose, bison, bald eagles, hawks and loads of prarie dogs since we've been here. Amazing!

Cons:
1- diversity, especially ethnic diversity is missing. The best Pizza we've tasted was at Costco! If you're from the NYC area, eating Pizza at Costo is like ordering chicken parmigiana at Wendys. Also, there is no Sicilian pizza here and it's twice as expensive as in NY. Same with Bagels.

Back in NY, ethnic diversity is everywhere. The Pakistani's run the 7-11's, Dunkin Donuts(which are missing from here btw) and gas stations. Koreans run the local groceries; Asians are the cooks at Asian restaurants. It was kind of odd seeing all Spanish chefs at an Oriental restaurant. I have seen quite a few white guys with dreadlocks however, so they're at least in the spirit!
2- Many a desolate area in the North.
3- the dryness takes a little while to get used to, but is far better than dealing with humidity for this is what causes the bone chilling cold we know in the north.
4- there is a good bit of over building here. One thing you don't see often in suburban neighborhoods on Long Island is a vacant house. There are many here which is only exacerbated by the new home construction.

Overall, the experience has been delightfully positive despite the snow and cold. I wish the same for you when you decide to move here! )
5-

Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 AM

10,688 posts, read 28,547,828 times
I think Elemental's post should be required reading.

as far as cons go:

You get used to the bagels (Einstien's are better than KS)
Buy a humidifier. Spray saline up your nose. When it gets really dry try vaseline.
Tell your friends to move here and buy a house.

There...now there is nothing bad about CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs