U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 AM

119 posts, read 630,447 times

Advertisements

Elemental ----- ditto to everything you said. Like you said, the only thing missing here is a bit more diversity and I really wish there were more cultural foods instead of all the chains (even though I like eating at them too). I have yet to try Broadway Deli, but I heard it's pretty close to the real thing. And yes, I have never experienced so many blue sky days in winter in all my life!!! This is amazing......just love it. No wonder why people are so much friendlier....the sun must have something to do with it for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 PM

220 posts, read 701,401 times
Default Additional info

If you're moving from another state, make sure you keep in contact with the folks and family that were left behind- especially if you've only lived in one place your whole life. Depression can sneak up on you real easily if you cut the ties clean and have no new friends to supplement what you left. This is of the utmost importance.

On to lighter matters like a good meal - which somehow becomes the focus when you've found everything else. I happened upon a Deli the other day in Longmont called the Brooklyn Deli. Supposedly half of the store is imported fresh from NY. As it turns out, it was legitimate and the food was excellent. Real NY Rye with pastrami from Brooklyn and NY deli mustard. Talk about yummy. The man makes an incredible Gumbo. It it's available, get a bowl, not a cup. While there, the owner asked where I was from and it turned out he lived one town over from us in NY until the mid 80's. We discussed Pizza and he pointed me to a place in Louisville called Original Pizza. Its' on Midway, East of 287. Here I found another set of real Italians from NY who made great Pizza and the owners wife, made me a wicked cappuccino to finish of a refreshing reminder of home.

That's another thing. If you moved from another state and had a routine of doing the same thing EVERY Saturday there, then you need to do it here too. It will ease the transition. Making new friends isn't always easy, but it is when the neighbors moved here for the same reasons you did. Remember, they're missing people too and are as anxious as you are about making some new friends. So get out there and do it!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,452,015 times
oh stop!!! you are making me miss "home"!! Been stuck out here on the east coast for 10 years and have been LONGING for some good ole CO sunshine!
SHHHHHHHHHHHHH stop people how great it is!! LOL

We are currently in the DC area and are more than ready to get out of the RAT race!!

Keep all of your collective fingers crossed that a job out there opens up for hubby soon!!! would love to make it by sept.

One thing that the east coast has better than CO is the fall colors...but I am willing to give those up for my good ole Rocky mnts!!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM

20,317 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
...stuck here on the east coast for 10 years and have been LONGING for some good ole CO sunshine!...currently in the DC area and are more than ready to get out of the RAT race! ...
Hey, we were in that DC-NoVA outhouse for 31 years...you still have 21 more to go...

s/Mike

Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 22,218 times
Glad to hear everyone loves COS. My DH and I visited back in 98 and very nearly moved there in June 99. Did not work out, we realized it was not the right time. However, it has never been far from out minds about moving there.
I will be finished with my RN degree in December (yea) and will be considering moving there knowing my getting a position will not be a problem.

I am so sick of the heat and humidity and mosquitoes. They are viscious here in the Houston area. Plus my DH is tired of the hurricane threat every year.

Thank you to all for the great information posted here it has been very helpful.

We are hoping to visit COS in early August.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 AM

Makingthemove...
Is your not so bright dog by any chance a greyhound?

I have 2 one 8yo and a 7month old. They are both not so bright....
We are kinda of worried about the older one not loving the cold so much. She is such a diva dog. The puppy he just loves anything so I am sure he will love the adventure.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:01 AM

431 posts, read 2,501,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
I'm glad to see this. My wife and I are going to be moving there in July (at the latest, depending on what I can do with my lease here, you want to talk about a nightmare situation .... ) and can't wait. I have some family in Pueblo West and they rant and rave about it there. I'll be renting when I get out there, and I'll be buying a home once I get acclimated to the area.

Big highways are a good thing to me. It means forethought and less congestion (a huge problem here in Tucson). I'm a little nervous about driving in the snow and having to worry about rust and the like, but the trade-offs make this a no-brainer.

You're seem to be right in the area that I'm looking at as well. How's the scenery? I'm looking forward to grass and trees instead of dirt and rocks and vegetation that you can't touch.
Rust???? How do you perceive rust as a problem. You have got to have moisture to have rust. When we see cars etc that are rusted out. We know they are usually from a humid area or on the coast somewhere. I have a 1980 Toyota Corona that has very little rust except where it was bumped and not fixed. Never seen a garage it it's life. Just rinse the undercarriage too when the car is washed. I am guessing you are concerned about salt on the highways for snow or ice? No biggy.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM

170 posts, read 698,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRED of HEAT View Post
Glad to hear everyone loves COS. My DH and I visited back in 98 and very nearly moved there in June 99. Did not work out, we realized it was not the right time. However, it has never been far from out minds about moving there.
I will be finished with my RN degree in December (yea) and will be considering moving there knowing my getting a position will not be a problem.

I am so sick of the heat and humidity and mosquitoes. They are viscious here in the Houston area. Plus my DH is tired of the hurricane threat every year.

Thank you to all for the great information posted here it has been very helpful.

We are hoping to visit COS in early August.
Hello Tire of the Heat!

I just moved here three weeks ago from San Antonio TX. I moved here to get away from the heat/humidity/traffic/crime and to be by the mountains, great weather and for a change of lifestyle.

I can tell you I'm so happy with my decision and will never go back to TX. I feel so happy and content here. Everything you hear about The Springs is true...it is wonderful! The quality of life here is great!!

I hope you get to make it out here!

p.s. I don't mean to beat up on TX. I know plenty of people who like living there...it's just not for me.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM

137 posts, read 708,845 times
Hello! I'm so glad to hear that you made it here -AND- more happy to know that you love it hear. If you like it after these last couple of months, you are going to be in heaven as spring comes.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:51 PM

I have pretty much lived in Tx all my life, except for the short time I was in the military and lived in Kansas. I grew up in the Dallas area and moved to the Houston area 8 years ago. We visited COS about 9 years ago and fell in love with the area. We are planning another trip this August and I can't wait.
The only hard part is that all our family still lives in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.
But, I think COS will be healthier for us because DH has the most horrible sinus problems and DD has problems with asthma flareups especially with spring and when the humidity get really high in the summer (which is all time here).

Thanks for the response. I love Texas it will always be home but I think I can make the transition well enough. I mean hey way back Colorado was part of Texas so I'm not really leaving.

I am currently in nursing school and I graduate this December (can't wait) so I will be able to find work with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs