U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 PM

170 posts, read 698,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRED of HEAT View Post
I have pretty much lived in Tx all my life, except for the short time I was in the military and lived in Kansas. I grew up in the Dallas area and moved to the Houston area 8 years ago. We visited COS about 9 years ago and fell in love with the area. We are planning another trip this August and I can't wait.
The only hard part is that all our family still lives in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.
But, I think COS will be healthier for us because DH has the most horrible sinus problems and DD has problems with asthma flareups especially with spring and when the humidity get really high in the summer (which is all time here).

Thanks for the response. I love Texas it will always be home but I think I can make the transition well enough. I mean hey way back Colorado was part of Texas so I'm not really leaving.

I am currently in nursing school and I graduate this December (can't wait) so I will be able to find work with no problems.

Hello Tired of the Heat,

I understand what you mean...all of my family and friends live in TX. They are the only reason I didn't move out here sooner. Luckily there are some good airfare deals with Southwest and Frontier airlines (into Denver) and it's only a few hours flight...so in my mind I pretend my family and friends are just a few hours away from me. Anyways, when you move here, I think you'll find people will find any excuse to come visit you just to be in these beautiful surrounding...and time together will be quality time.

Before I moved here I thought I would give it a year and if things don't work out I'll move back...but after being here just a week I know Co is where I was meant to live. Friends and family will definitely come visit plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 22,225 times
I'm sure people will now think of reasons to visit. Since we have moved to Houston I can count on 1 hand (almost) the numver of visits made here by family. Most by my brother in law where just a weekend visit before catching a cruise out of Galveston.

I am so looking forward to our visit in August. I can't wait. We are already starting booking flights, rooms and car. My daughter is starting to make a list of everything she wants to do while we are there. I really hope she enjoys it. Being ten I'm not sure how she will make the transition though. If we do decide to move it will be the summer between her fifth and sixth grade year. Hopefully that will be a good transition time. She has been to several different schools so she has made the switch before but it would be nice to be settled to she won't have to make to many more changes.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 AM

220 posts, read 701,869 times
Here's another tip- never move anywhere in the off season. Moving to CO in the winter wasn't lucky for us because this was their worst winter in 20 years. However, the spring is absolutely delightful and we've been basking the warm glow of that sun every day. The mountains are a sight to behold daily and having the ability to walk into nature daily is worth millions. Also, our utility bills are less than half of what they were in NY. That's something to smile about. Insurance is 40% of what it was there. Gas is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper with food being similar, if not a little more expensive here.

We're going back to visit for a week soon and I feel bad about leaving such beautiful weather. Getting spoiled already....'

Come on out, you'll be thankful you did!

p.s. coming from Houston or any similarly humid area, drink lots and lots of water, then buy a humidifier immediately. You will need it.

pss. The upside is that there is no rust on anything here!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM

649 posts, read 2,652,107 times
Tired of Heat- You are will love Colorado! Plus we have the 2 hospitals going up, so the nursing field will be a great field to be going into. Keep us posted. bashep

Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM

Talking Can't Hardly Wait!

I am so excited about visiting COS in August. Thanks for the tip on drinking lots of water. I read that and my DH informed that we would have to drink lots of water (yea)... I'm working on my O2 intake now trying to get up to 8-10 glasses a day.

We tired moving to COS about 9 years ago but it just wasn't the right time for us. Now with Colorado setting up to become a member of the compact agreement (nurses liscened in any compact state can practice in another compact state) it will hopefully make the move a little easier.

My daughter (10) is even getting somewhat excited about the trip and the possible move. I am almost done with this semester, just 4 more weeks to go then I get the summer off.

Bashep, where are the two new hospitals going up? I read about the Pikes Peak Regional Hospital in Woodland Park, just wondering where the other one might be. I can't wait to graduate so I can a real job making real money. Well, all money is real but at least making enough where I don't have to worry about it so much.

Anyway, I will keep everyone informed of our progress and how the visit goes in August.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:40 AM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
Red face Tired of the Heat....

In the past few years, $3B was spent on new/expanded medical facilties in CO. In CO Springs there are 3 new hospitals going in.

1. A new Memorial Hospital, at Briargate Pkwy & Union Blvd. See: Colorado Springs Hospital - Memorial Hospital | University of Colorado Health This is smack in school district 20, one of the best, in the preferred Briargate area, zip 80920 for searching in Realtor.com This hospital opened on 25 April 2007.

2. West of town, up Hwy 24 via Ute Pass, in Woodland Park (Teller County) the new Pikes Peak Regional Hospital is now open. Not a big player in-town but it is west of town in the higher elevations.

3. A branch of Penrose-St.Francis, at Woodman Rd and Powers Blvd, opened in July 2008. This is St Francis Medical Center. Downtown is their main Penrose Hospital. Both hospitals are part of Centura Health Care. St Francis is on the wrong side of Woodmen to be in D20, but it is right on the border of D20 and Briargate zip codes and would also be a great place to work for anyone in D20/80920.

Major names here are Memorial Hospital, Penrose-St Francis, Centura and CSHP.
- Colorado Springs Hospital - Memorial Hospital | University of Colorado Health
- Penrose-St. Francis Hospital & Health Services | 719-776-5000 | Colorado Springs
- Centura Health | Colorado and Kansas Hospital & Health Care Network
- Find Colorado Springs Doctors - Family Physicians - Urgent Care - CSHP.net

I suspect these places are collecting resumes and applications now for when they open, I'd suggest you apply soonest if interested. Further, there are already existing major hospitals for Memorial and Penrose, and there should be one within a short commute of desirable homes. The commuting here in the Springs is a cinch compared to major cities on the coasts. We're from the dreadful DC-NoVA area and believe me, driving here is a breeze, don't worry another minute about it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-16-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Smile Thank you so much

Thanks for the info Mike! I know it will be very helpful.

We are going to be looking in the D20 area, we want a really good school district for our daughter.

Commuting or just driving at anytime of day or night has got to better in COS than it is here in Houston. The traffic here is craaaaazzzzzyyyy. I think we are second to LA? Anyway, there is almost always traffic here and you have to drive like forever to get anywhere here because it is so spread out. For my clinicals I currently drive about 45minutes each way just to get to the hospital I am currently at. So basically anything under 25 minles would make me overly joyous.

Again thank you for the links and info on the hospitals. It is a great help.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:56 PM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
Tired...there is a group in TX that studies traffic congestion... not sure their name...but I recall they said L.A., CA was worst and DC area second... We are from the DC area of northern Virginia and traffic is ONE of the big reasons we left there for here. IMO, there is no traffic here compared to the DC area. Other newcomers I talk to from CA or the east agree. Old-timers here do complain, but they come from a different frame of reference. Traffic here really is worse then they recall it was 10-20 years ago, true, but still, for us, traffic here is nothing like what we escaped. Your experience will probably be the same.

It is entirely possible for you to live WALKING distance of the new Memorial Hospital that opens in a few weeks, same for other non-hospital medical locations in the area, several large medical arts buildings, all in walkable D20 neighborhoods.

You're gonna love Colorado.

s/Mike

Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 AM

220 posts, read 701,869 times
Here's another goody. Try Little Ricci's Pizza in Parker. They know what a Sicilian pie is! Still haven't found a true Italian Deli- you know the ones with cheese hanging all over the place and Prusciutto so thin it melts... Anyone know where such a place exists in CO? Heck, I drove 94 miles just to have some Dunkin Donuts last weekend, so I don't care where it is.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 PM

135 posts, read 549,075 times
Default uh-oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Here's another goody. Try Little Ricci's Pizza in Parker. They know what a Sicilian pie is! Still haven't found a true Italian Deli- you know the ones with cheese hanging all over the place and Prusciutto so thin it melts... Anyone know where such a place exists in CO? Heck, I drove 94 miles just to have some Dunkin Donuts last weekend, so I don't care where it is.

Are you saying there's no local Dunkin Donuts in COS?? Oh no, that means we can't move there!!! LOL!

No, but seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs