U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 38,529 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice. We are going to be relocating from southcentral PA to the area in a few weeks/months. My husband's new job is in Canon City. We were thinking about living in Pueblo or Pueblo West, but he has heard too many negative things about those areas from the people he will be working with. So, my question is, can you recommend an area in Colorado Springs that would be doable for a Canon City commute, good schools/neighborhoods for my daughter who will be starting kindergarten and a price range of $175-225,000? Thanks so much for any help you can give me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 03:13 PM

53 posts, read 417,279 times
Just move to Canon City. It is one of my favorite places in Colorado. You are going to get tired of the 75 - 80 minute drive one way from Colorado Springs to Canon City everyday.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM

649 posts, read 2,648,760 times
You know, I would have to agree. It wouldn't be worth the time you would be missing w/ your family. I guess Pueblo West could be a possibilty. bashep

Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 PM

13,629 posts, read 21,483,824 times
The far west end of Pueblo West, like near Swallows Road is not a bad commute to Canon City. If you are willing to look at the homes in that area, I'd say they are within your price range. You'd be close to Pueblo Reservoir if that appeals to you.

You would be situated somewhat the not-so aweful town of Pueblo (IMO) and not far from Penrose and Canon City. I don't know much about Canon City, but if you want to be closer to the mountains, there ya go.

That commute to Colorado Springs along HW 24 (??) is a single-lane dangerous road from what I can tell.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 PM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
I don't know why anyone would prefer to live away from Canon City and commute to Canon for work. I can see the other way around --live here(live in Canon) and commute for work. But each to his own. I don't know what some have said about Pueblo. There really are some nice places there. I am not crazy about Pueblo West for is prairie just as Pueblo must have been in it beginning. Pueblo West really did not start growing until a few yrs ago. Now it is growing by leaps and bounds. More schools, and business all the time. Colorado Springs is nice and a pretty city and the closes to Canon on the North side is a beautiful upscale area with Cheyenne Mountains schools some of the best. But homes in the Springs are more expensive than Canon, Pueblo or Pueblo West. Canon prices--average home price starts at 165,600-Brand new, less the 160,000 Townhome & condominium starting less than 1000,000-These are prices quoted by ReMax of royal gorge but they give you some idea. That said.-----it is 40 mi to Pueblo and 45 mi to Colorado Springs. The hiway to Pueblo is quite straight some slight ups and downs because it is headed into the plains. Speed limit is 66. 4 line highway. The hiway to Colorado Springs is twisting thro some hills, thro a small canyon and over into some beautiful country. Not plains that for sure. What makes it have the reputation of dangerous is dumb people that will not slow down, and do dumb things like passing on double yellow lines because of ????? The speed limit is 55, they can't read. It is a 2 lane hiway with passing lanes ever so often but then again it is not heavy traffic. Hope that helps.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I don't know why anyone would prefer to live away from Canon City and commute to Canon for work. I can see the other way around --live here(live in Canon) and commute for work. But each to his own. I don't know what some have said about Pueblo. There really are some nice places there. I am not crazy about Pueblo West for is prairie just as Pueblo must have been in it beginning. Pueblo West really did not start growing until a few yrs ago. Now it is growing by leaps and bounds. More schools, and business all the time. Colorado Springs is nice and a pretty city and the closes to Canon on the North side is a beautiful upscale area with Cheyenne Mountains schools some of the best. But homes in the Springs are more expensive than Canon, Pueblo or Pueblo West. Canon prices--average home price starts at 165,600-Brand new, less the 160,000 Townhome & condominium starting less than 1000,000-These are prices quoted by ReMax of royal gorge but they give you some idea. That said.-----it is 40 mi to Pueblo and 45 mi to Colorado Springs. The hiway to Pueblo is quite straight some slight ups and downs because it is headed into the plains. Speed limit is 66. 4 line highway. The hiway to Colorado Springs is twisting thro some hills, thro a small canyon and over into some beautiful country. Not plains that for sure. What makes it have the reputation of dangerous is dumb people that will not slow down, and do dumb things like passing on double yellow lines because of ????? The speed limit is 55, they can't read. It is a 2 lane hiway with passing lanes ever so often but then again it is not heavy traffic. Hope that helps.
I left out some very important words in above message. On cost of average home--it should say Average home prices Starts at LESS tha 165,00-- From Canon hiway 50 to Penrose 55 from Penrose to Colo. Springs. 60.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The far west end of Pueblo West, like near Swallows Road is not a bad commute to Canon City. If you are willing to look at the homes in that area, I'd say they are within your price range. You'd be close to Pueblo Reservoir if that appeals to you.

You would be situated somewhat the not-so aweful town of Pueblo (IMO) and not far from Penrose and Canon City. I don't know much about Canon City, but if you want to be closer to the mountains, there ya go.

That commute to Colorado Springs along HW 24 (??) is a single-lane dangerous road from what I can tell.

Just my two cents.
Hiway 24 does not go to Canon City from Colordo Springs. It heads east. From Canon City Hiway 50 to Penrose then Hiway 115 to Colorado Springs.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 38,529 times
Thanks, we will definitely be looking at Canon City! I appreciate all of your wide advice, it is hard trying to do this from so far away!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,723 times
Bjb126, Did you ever move to Colorado/Canon City? If so, I am very curious where you decided to settle and how are things going for you? I am thinking of taking a job in Canon City. I currently live in Colorado Springs right off of Hwy 115 so a commute is feasible, but it would be 90 miles a day, and it would get expensive. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,413,601 times
Are you all high???????????????
Sorry,... I just have a hard time believing that ANYONE thinking of moving to Colorado would, pass up Canon City!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in Denver, raised my children in Aurora(Cherry Creek Schools). Still, to this day,.......Canon City is the MOST green and lush place in Colorado!! It is considered the Banana Belt and, the climate capitol of Colorado (not Grand Junction!).

It IS GROWING BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS ( which to some is a detrement) but still....I LOVE IT HERE!!

I can be in Colorado Springs in 40 minutes..........Pueblo in 30 minutes.
BOTH are a beautiful drive too!!

IF you want more $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for your home......come here!!!
I have a 5000 square foot home with my own personal tennis court, 3 fireplaces.....4 bed 3 baths...2 acres with a heated garage and office. It only takes me 35 minutes to get to my In-Laws in COS!! HMMMMM???

Let me think??? Guess where we get together?????
There's more but, I digress. Just PLEASE think about it!! OKAY??

Canon City WILL be the next BIG place!!! I SWEAR!!!!
SOOOOOO many commuters ....and they will have green lawns and trees!!
I have 90 shares of irrigation water ( another subject!).

Come visit,......you will most definitely be surprised!! I was and, I grew up in Denver and moved to Aurora.......I couldn't believe that Canon even existed!!

I still love Evergreen, Dillon, Breckenridge, Vail, Eagle and OURAY!!!!
IMHO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or