U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,802 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has moved to Colorado Springs from Arizona or any other HOT southwest climate. I was hoping to get info on places to live, schools, quality of life, etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I have two children. Boy 12 yrs-Races Motocross and a Girl 9yrs-does competitive cheer, these things are very important as well.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 PM

46 posts, read 140,809 times
Wife hates HOT so AZ is out for us but Scottsdale is my dream town. You are leaving?

Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM

649 posts, read 2,649,322 times
Well I haven't lived in AZ, but have family that I visit there. We have gone there in July.. YIKES sooo hot. I would say the nice thing about C/S is that we do get hot (90's) in July, but it usually only is in that month. Otherwise you can have some great weather. I have friends that own a motorcyle store here, who's son use to race motorcross, I can see if they can get me info for you. I know a friend who's daughter did competetive cheer, daughter the same age. So, if you want I can look into that stuff for you.. bashep

Old 02-23-2007, 07:46 PM

123 posts, read 479,361 times
We moved from COS 3 years ago. Love it here in the Valley of the Sun, other then the poor school system. We are considering moving back to the D-20 or D-38 Monument area when we can, just for the excellent schools. I really feel we are short changing the kids in AZ. Don't have any kids into cheer or MX but I'm sure there's opportunity for that in COS.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 PM

87 posts, read 571,968 times
Colorado Spring, in my opinion, is better than Scottsdale. COS offers four seasons, a great quality of life, cheaper real estate, much better schools overall and last but not least COS has a ton of parks and open recreational areas and trails that are free to the public.

You might miss Scottsdale for it's hype but if you're looking for quality of life, COS is a great place to be.

...Info from a former AZ resident now living in COS

Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipps View Post
I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has moved to Colorado Springs from Arizona or any other HOT southwest climate. I was hoping to get info on places to live, schools, quality of life, etc...Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I have two children. Boy 12 yrs-Races Motocross and a Girl 9yrs-does competitive cheer, these things are very important as well.

Thanks for the help.
I grew up in Phoenix, and I moved to Colorado Springs in 1977. If I were to compare and contrast the two, COS easily wins. The weather here is excellent from mid-March through end of October. Days are sunny and warm, nights are cool. I don't need air conditioning, a whole-house fan is enough.

Phoenix is nice from about Nov to March, but winter air pollution is awful. COS has clean air year round. Phoenix has sprawled like LA. The traffic is especially awful during the winter when the snowbirds show up. Also, I think Phoenix has a much higher crime rate and more illegals than COS.

I really cannot stand hot. The last time I was in Phoenix in August, it was 112 degrees and humid. It felt like Vietnam. The only thing to do was sit inside in front of an air conditioner.

Other benefits to COS include remarkably pure, clean, cold tap water. The last time I took a swig of water out of the tap in Phoenix, I almost threw up! In fact, the tap water here is so cold, you need to warm it a bit to brush your teeth.

I also prefer the types of houses we have here. In Phoenix, everything is built on a slab, but here we have full basements. It's like getting an extra house for about 10% more. I'll bet the cost per square foot for housing in COS is much cheaper than Phoenix.

In winter, when we want to get some sun, we go to Hawaii. It's much nicer and warmer and cleaner than Phoenix. [mod cut]

Comments?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-25-2007 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic material.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,802 times
Default Thanks for the info

Thanks to eveyone who replied. I am now a little more at ease with the move. Bashep, you mentioned you knew someone who knows the local MX scene so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again to everyone who responded I sincerely appreciate your input.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,849 times
We lived in Havasu for almost 20 years. Didn't mind it too much back then. It's even hotter than PHX/Scottsdale. We lived in San Diego before moving to Monument. The weather in SD is so nice that you can almost live with all the negatives. The weather here, specifically the winters, are not as bad as I thought. For us the cold winters does not overwhelm all the positives. Everyone has different level of tolerance, though. I think you would have to live here a while to determine where your limits about cold are.
We met some parents that have a son racing MX. He even got an invite to Lorreta Lynn's, so there must be local MX racing going on. Like everything out here, the weather makes outdoor activities seasonal. This is something you will have to get used to. In SoCal or AZ, just about everything could be found year-around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs