Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times

Advertisements

I don't like the idea of single parent households eith Katz. Like i said, a child needs both parents. It's conducive to a healthy childhood.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,245,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I don't like the idea of single parent households eith Katz. Like i said, a child needs both parents. It's conducive to a healthy childhood.
There are some more basic merits to two-parent families, too. Any child with only a single parent is only one death away from orphanhood. A child of a single, bad parent is in a much worse situation than one with two parents...the odds of them both being parental losers is far less (but, yes, it happens).

But, back to topic, the idea of officially sanctioned homosexual marriage is no more acceptable from a moral standpoint than a law making it OK to steal, or a university policy making it legal to plagiarize someone else's work in order to expedite one's progress through academia. It's one thing to grudgingly accept that homosexual conduct exists where we might not see it, it's quite another to offically sanction it and give it status as acceptable behavior. It's quite notable that even in California they said "no."

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

179 posts, read 619,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
The only intolerance is from threads such as this one. The vote was not about equal rights, it was about amending a constitution. The people voted, they spoke and now some are angry at the outcome.

Just because a vote was cast doesn't mean there is bigotry or intolerence. It means they didn't want the constitution amended.
Luke, the Proposition was made to amend the CA Constitution. The CA Constitution as it stood was so ambiguous that the CA Supreme Court allowed gay marriage to commence. Prop 8 was brought forth to *amend* the constitution to explicitly word the constitution as marriage between a man and a woman.

And if you can't see the bigotry or intolerance in the majority shutting out a minority from something the majority enjoys (and abuses) then you need to step out into the world and meet some people.

And also, I commend those 100 people who protested COS. Good for them. I applaud those who feel that just because something happened in a different state, it still happened in our country, therefore it still pertains to us all. Sitting on the sidelines and giving that which you don't agree with tacit consent is equally terrible as denying a select few from something the majority takes for granted.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
California isn't even a part of this country as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Well with respect to the OP, I don't know what to make of the issue.

So I cite my Psychology book from college (can't find my Sociology book which I believe I lent to someone); it talks about sexual behavior as a continuum, where we go from very hetro to homosexual. It says that many men have one or more homosexual encounters and that only 4% of men are exclusively homosexual (book written in 1983). It says that women are only 1-2% exclusively homosexual.

Quote:
"Until the advent of the sexual revolution in the late 1960s, homosexuality was considered a mental illness or an abnormal perversion, although many people still view homosexuality as unnatural...most psychologists and psychiatrists consider it to be a variant...and not in itself, an indication or cause of mental illness. Indeed, in studies of mental health, homosexuals seem as well adjusted as comparable heterosexuals."
My Soc book goes on to discuss how timing or the starting period of puberty has a high correlation to sexual orientation. As far as sexual behavior goes in general, things have changed drastically since about the early-mid 60s and again in the early-mid 70s. It looks to me like mens' sexual behavior hasn't changed much since the 30s, but womens' have! Think about it.

Anyways, I've tried to cite my mere beliefs and opinions on a Colorado Springs thread about Religion and I was run off literally. Especially by those who had contempt for FOTF. Now I see some of those same people in here not necessarily wanting to run homosexuals off, but to discuss their beliefs and opinions on this topic which has become such an issue of legislating morality.

I don't know what the percentages are these days or what the norm is, but I would fall into the category of very hetro as far as my personal behavior and God-given instincts go. I just so happen to fall way into the norm as compared to the general population. This frees me up to find other challenges to conquer. I guess what I'd like to see in a thread like this is both views; Why was the use of Prop 8 right, and why was the use of it wrong? Maybe most of the hetro people don't pay attention to it because they feel it doesn't affect them. Years ago when we had that Ammendment 2 here in Colorado, the thing was passed because those voting for it believed they would be able to prevent homosexuals from getting "special" rights above and beyond everybody else. It may have infact taken rights away from them. Here, we're talking about what defines a marriage, right?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM

110 posts, read 292,859 times
I guess what I was trying to say is that in my opinion, we have more important things to worry about in this great country of ours. And comparing same-sex marriage to any sort of crime (like stealing) is just ridiculous to say the least. Besides, same-sex couples have been adopting children for years. What would change if they were married? Nothing. In my opinion, two people who love each other would make better parents and strong role-models than two people who fight all the time and then just leave. Why should a minority not get the same rights and freedoms as the majority? If you can't get yourself to understand tolerance, at least get equality figured out.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,245,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmyer View Post
I guess what I was trying to say is that in my opinion, we have more important things to worry about in this great country of ours. And comparing same-sex marriage to any sort of crime (like stealing) is just ridiculous to say the least.
Morality is the foundation our society was built upon. It is a very important thing. Much of the trouble we have in the world relates directly to a disturbing move towards the amoral/immoral.

Homosexual sex violates the same moral code that is the basis for our laws against stealing, murder, adultery, and rape, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmyer View Post
Why should a minority not get the same rights and freedoms as the majority? If you can't get yourself to understand tolerance, at least get equality figured out.
So I guess the minority that yearns for sheep romance should have all those same rights and freedoms too? Baa-aa-aa-aa-ad idea.

If you can't get yourself to understand morality, at least get biology figured out.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 PM

110 posts, read 292,859 times
Hmmmm. I'm really not sure how anyone can equate homosexuality with stealing, but whatever trips your moral trigger I guess..... Maybe I'm missing something important here......

Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,397,315 times
I wanted to give this thread a chance, since the OP was about a rally in CS.. but seeing where it is headed now, I will close this before it gets any uglier. If you are interested in discussing this topic any further, please visit the Politics and other controversies forum... you can chose from many threads about this topic there.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs