U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM

45 posts, read 203,190 times

Advertisements

I recently got a ticket worth 4 points. This is my first ticket in the US. And, I am still using my Florida drivers licence while living in Colorado with Colorado insurance. How will that affect my insurance rates. Will these points show up in Colorado? What if I use my (still valid) Canadian drivers licence to get a Colorado licence? Will that keep the insurance company from seeing this ticket/points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM

2,988 posts, read 4,859,468 times
Damn, 4 points, musta been something good!

I got a ticket while driving in CO with my NV license and plates. The officer told me it won't show up in CO when I switch over. I never asked, but I don't believe my insurance (Allstate) found out about it. I paid the ticket/fees, transferred my insurance over to a CO agent (still had NV license), got CO plates, and then got my CO license.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Nothing too out of the ordinary...50 in a 35 for $165
I just wish that we haven't had this mild fall, because then he wouldnt have been on his motorcycle.

I wonder what will happen since the Colorado insurance company (Statefarm) has my Florida licence on file.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 AM

1,933 posts, read 4,462,386 times
When I got my speeding ticket I got 4 points knocked off, I showed up at court and it was reduced to a headlight infraction and only 1 point. I didn't even ask for the reduction, I just forgot to pay it prior to the date and on the day I happen to pull the ticket out and saw I had court that day so I went. This is what they did. My insurance didn't change whatsoever and they never knew that it was originally a speeding ticket. It was a stupid ticket- I was going 51 in a 45 and the cop was training someone!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM

8,234 posts, read 13,482,062 times
Usually when you get a four-point speeding ticket, you're offered 2 points and mail the ticket fine in within the time suggested on the back of the ticket. You do this and I don't think the insurance company would increase it much if at all. But then again, that might depend on your age and stuff; your prior record should be in your favor.

I think you can go to court and ask for a deferred and offer to go to a one day driving school to get points knocked down or nullified with the deferred, but you'll pay for it out of pocket and time spend on a Saturday.

I have all 12 of my points now and can't remember exactly how long ago since my last speeding ticket and I hope to keep it that way. I go no more than 5 over the speed limit now and it's been working for me; this takes into account any error correction on the part of my speedometer, size tires on the vehicle, etc. When I say 5 mph over, I mean 5 mph over. If you're gonna be going 10 mph over, you might as well go 19 mph over, and don't be surprised with the 4 point ticket that you can have reduced down to 2 or less. I'd rather never get another ticket, but going the speed limit or less can prove to be equally obnoxious in the traffic I drive in. I would suggest that no matter what you do, don't get another speeding ticket for the next year or so, don't run any red lights and don't tailgate, and you'll be fine. Colorado is kind of tough this way. You are now a quota.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:41 PM

268 posts, read 804,993 times
I wish the cops would put as much emphasis on stopping the drivers who are slow, annoying, stuck in the left lane, dangerous on cell phones, etc. as they do on pulling over speeders. Then I might have some respect for traffic cops. Until then, they are just wasting money that could be spent patrolling higher crime areas.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I wish the cops would put as much emphasis on stopping the drivers who are slow, annoying, stuck in the left lane, dangerous on cell phones, etc. as they do on pulling over speeders. Then I might have some respect for traffic cops. Until then, they are just wasting money that could be spent patrolling higher crime areas.
I 2nd that. I wasn't endangering anyone. The street was empty.

My 2 biggest pet peeves are:
1) Traffic Cops
2) Meter-maids

Both get their rocks off by spending YOUR money. Get a real job.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM

330 posts, read 776,975 times
Either I've had really bad luck here, or there are just more speed traps in Colorado. I never got a single ticket in CT, never even got pulled over. Within two months of moving here I got my first ticket. I went to court and got it reduced with even saying a word. Four years later I got my second speeding ticket. I am always so careful with my speed except on my own street. I got a $160 ticket for going 37 in a 25. This one I'm just paying and hoping it doesn't cost me on my insurance.

But anyway, when I first moved here I still had a CT drivers license (when I got my ticket) and the ticket showed up only in Colorado. I had to get my driving record for my EMT certification and my CT record was clean, but my CO record was not. So I think the ticket goes on record in the state you got a ticket in, not the state your license is from.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 PM

268 posts, read 804,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_FL View Post
I 2nd that. I wasn't endangering anyone. The street was empty.

My 2 biggest pet peeves are:
1) Traffic Cops
2) Meter-maids

Both get their rocks off by spending YOUR money. Get a real job.
I'm not so much against the people or the job. I just don't like an organization chartered to keep the public safe spending a majority of their time taking part in department fund raisers so they can put on more fundraisers.

They seem to think their job is to steal my money rather than protect citizens from real crime.

Also, they should know that in Europe cameras do their job. Traffic enforcement is beneath the Polizei.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:11 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,482,062 times
In Mexico I ran a red (amber!) light and the cop waved me right onto the side of the road. I gave him 20 bucks and he said "Have a good day."

That is no lie. That is a fact. How do you feel about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs