U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM
bud bud started this thread

17 posts, read 59,005 times
Default From Kansas to COS

My wife and my 2 kids are moving to the COS area in about 2-3 mos.
I respect the view points from "Mike back east" and I truly believe his is very informing.
I have a couple of questions.
As I understand it the NE part of town is the place to live as far as safety and quality of life.
We want to live in a townhouse with approx. $900 to $1000 for rent preferably in a gated community. That way I don't have to shovel snow or mow the lawn.
I have been on click rents and have found a couple of awesome townhomes, I know it is still too early to get too excited but can anyone give me a realty company which I might contact to start looking for us a place to rent the internet is great but every thing looks great in pictures I mean a good creditable one.
It sounds like 99% of the folks that relocated to COS are real happy.
I mean tickled to death, what are the down sides of the COS area? If any

Thanks I know that my questions probably have been answered in previous threads sorry

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,764,909 times
Can't help you on the rental agent.
The downsides are all a matter of perspective. We moved from SoCal, so the weather is definitely a minus. This winter has been especially bad, with extended periods of cold temps. The lack of In&Out Hamburger joints are also a minus(SoCal thing ). The traffic can be a pain, but nothing compared to California. The scenery and open spaces are outstanding. We are very happy with our daughter's school. The quality of life is much better for us. To our older children, who live in SoCal, CO in general is too laid back for them.
Good Luck on your move.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM

673 posts, read 2,865,740 times
Well since you married with 2 kids I think North-East Colorado Springs doesnt have any disadvantages for that demographic other then the traffic can be heavy at times. Also since the area is growing they have had increasing numbers of pedestrians being hit by cars and more accidents in general but traffic isnt as much of a problem is gated communities.

North-East Colorado Springs for some reason just has much faster drivers then the rest of the city, the speed limits tend to higher also.

You will fit in very well in North-East Colorado Springs. If possibly, I would recommend D-20 over D-11 not because I am not familiar but just overhearing what people say they tend to like D-20.

D-20 is in North-East Colorado Springs. Its more expensive there, Going to a gated community might cost more then ungated.

I think most townhomes go for 200,000 dollars or more which translates to $1200 rent. So youd probubly be looking at around $1200 for a townhome in NE Colorado Springs, the SE part of the city is much cheaper but has more social problems and probubly not a good place to raise a family. Stetson Hills are probubly a little less though thats also NE Colorado Springs.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Post Another Question

I understand that COS has a high influx of military like Air Force Base and a Army base am I right ?
Not that I have a problem with the military they all do their best to defend us in a most difficult situation heck my son in law is over in Iraq as we speak.
But we live close to Ft.Riley and the soldiers migrate here to party and raise hell. I was just wondering if COS has the same problem with soldiers roaming out thru the town and causing havic.
They seem like when they are turned loose they pretty much lose their head.
Just wondering.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,764,909 times
I would recommend anything in District 20 or 38. These are located in the north end of CO Springs and into Monument. We have friends in Fountain(south end of CO Springs) and they are moving due to the young military renters that are more prevalent on the south end due to Ft Carson. You might be able to find a 3/2 house for 1k. We had looked for a rental 3 years ago and found several for less than 1k.
There was a article in the paper about the reluctancy of businesses to invest in the south end due to crime and the economic shift. The north end meanwhile is growing like crazy .

Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 PM

17,090 posts, read 23,297,620 times
Never seen a bit of rowdiness up here on the north end of town. The USAF folks are very quiet and professional. Of course, if I were a 22-year old single guy in the Infrantry, I'd be hell on wheels too.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 AM

186 posts, read 635,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
I understand that COS has a high influx of military like Air Force Base and a Army base am I right ?
Not that I have a problem with the military they all do their best to defend us in a most difficult situation heck my son in law is over in Iraq as we speak.
But we live close to Ft.Riley and the soldiers migrate here to party and raise hell. I was just wondering if COS has the same problem with soldiers roaming out thru the town and causing havic.
They seem like when they are turned loose they pretty much lose their head.
Just wondering.

Thanks
I lived in the Junction City area for four years and worked at Ft. Riley, so I know what you're talking about. But I have also spent a lot of time in Colorado Springs and planning to probably move there. You won't find any problems as long as you stay more to the north. From what I hear there might be some of those issues in the areas near Ft. Carson, but that is all. Most of the Colorado Springs military are good people.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Default Leased a home

OK we went to COS this weekend and loved the town. So we leased a home in the Northgate community it seems to be a up and coming community with new home construction everywhere.
It is just north of Briargate and about 3 minutes or within walking distance of the huge New Life Church.
I guess my question is in reguards to the area of town it appears like there is very little crime and the school system is top notch.
I just want a little feed back on locals about the area of town and a little personal opinions on the growth of the area.
It appears right now to be a quite community but hey that was on Saturday traffic was light.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 AM

26,362 posts, read 53,144,525 times
I have heard that Powers will extend west to I-25 at some time. Not sure of the exact route but I also heard it may bisect Flying Horse. Again, not sure of that either. There is a web site out there called something like The Powers Link which may have routing and schedules. May be something to think about if you decide to buy a home in that area. Other than that there is a lot of local news on the Baptist Road/I-25 interchange. You could get more info on this by searching old issues of the Gazette and also a Tri Lakes paper called OurCommunityNews dot org. One other source is the Tri Lakes Tribune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs