Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any forums where people post current local road conditions? Sure would be nice to know what roads to avoid when the weather is bad like it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 PM

227 posts, read 1,044,332 times
KRDO.com Colorado Springs, Pueblo - Weather, News, Sports - KRDO News
Click on Neighborhood Weather Network
Then click on the various areas you want to see.
It's all local, but for different "areas".
If you're looking for statewide road conditions like freeways, etc. then check out CDOT Traveler Information which lists road conditions (and closures, chains required, etc) as well as cameras located throughout the state.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Yes thanks, that helps, and I do look at the traffic cams. I was hoping for something more specific, like what specific local road conditions are, such as from a driver's perspective. Reading that a road is snow-packed and icy, does not tell you that its backed up and so bad there are lots of cars in the ditch, etc.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM

76 posts, read 293,110 times
I think things like traffic being backed up and cars in the ditch change so quickly it's hard to monitor it. I can tell you that Highway 83 was backed up for miles this afternoon, but by the time we got home, I have no idea if it was still a traffic jam.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM

Thanks springshomeblog. Its info like you mentioned about hwy 83 being backed up that I would love to see somewhere. I live up on the palmer divide, off county line, and many times some roads just become a skating rink - would be nice to know before I set out if I need to plan a different route.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM

76 posts, read 293,110 times
After I wrote my first reply I realized that BlackBerry and iPhone users would potentially to be able to contribute real-time road conditions while they're on the road... but unless traffic is at a standstill I'd rather them NOT be typing while driving!

While we were out on 83 last night I tried to find a local radio station with weather updates but there didn't seem to be anyone doing anything except regular programming. I guess maybe I should have checked AM stations?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Thanks springshomeblog. Its info like you mentioned about hwy 83 being backed up that I would love to see somewhere. I live up on the palmer divide, off county line, and many times some roads just become a skating rink - would be nice to know before I set out if I need to plan a different route.

There is not much you can do (meaning access information on the internet or radio) other than the traffic cams and the CDOT road conditions web page or calling someone that lives or works near a place you would be driving. Call a gas station or something for example. You could also call the highway patrol.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 AM

I thought I would update this thread with a tool I recently discovered:

https://www.waze.com/livemap/

This is pretty cool. You can monitor the road map from home and I also downloaded it on my phone (its a bit of a resource hog on the phone). Hopefully more people will use it and post road conditions on it so it can become a great resource for those of us that have to drive in the wintertime.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
The city has a twitter feed (@CSTMC) that runs from 6:30 AM to 6:00 PM and they post real-time traffic incident info for the Pikes Peak region. Most of the feeds look like they come from the CSPD dispatch center, so it's more reliable than a collection of random reports from drivers.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks Bob, that is pretty helpful too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs