Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM

132 posts, read 351,074 times

Advertisements

I live in Houston and am considering moving to COS. Has anyone moved from a mild winter climate like Houston to COS. How long did it take for you to adapt, did you begin to enjoy the cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
My Houston cousin who visits loves it here. She doesn't think it is cold though. It doesn't get cold unless it dips below freezing, which can happen at night.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
It really seems like the prevalent myth about cold winters on the Colorado Front Range is just never gonna die, no matter what we say or do.

Colorado mountains (anywhere >7,000 ft): yes, cold winter

Colorado Front Range: 67dF and sunny is not COLD, fer Chrissakes !! 47dF is not cold either. Between those two examples, that's about 4 out of 5 winter days on the Front Range right there.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Cold weather? No way. I'm now sitting in my family room with an open window on a sunny, 54 degree afternoon on Dec-6 in Colorado Springs. Truth is, it's a very mild climate, and an absolutely gorgeous day.

But I'll admit I cheer when the Broncos are playing on national TV during a giant snowstorm so most viewers will think that Colorado is always cold and snowy. Perhaps they'll stay in California or Texas and let us enjoy this beautiful place without the crowds from those places.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
It was in the 60's today in the Springs. My car showed 64 at around 1pm. Had the sunroof and windows open, sure felt great! No snow in sight down there. Have a little snow in the shade in Woodland. Supposed to get some snow tomorrow, yipee!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
I was in a T shirt the whole day today while at the Broncos game! It must have been almost 70 degrees.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
Houston,

I moved here because of the climate. There are plenty of cold days/nights, but most winters, the cold days are punctuated by very mild ones. It'll dump snow on one day and melt away the next.

This week....the forcast is for snow Monday night into Tuesday...then a sunny, mild Wednesday, and then possibly more snow for Thursday and then a mild, sunny Friday.

Southern Colorado is great because of the milder weather. Some of my closest relatives still think I live in a winter wonderland. It's not like that at all, but if that's what they think.......great.......they'll stay away!!

I think the hardest thing to adjust to isn't the cold, it's the shortness of breath from the altitude and possibly the dryness. The altitude adjustment takes a couple of months. The dryness.....takes lotion and chapstick.

There's very little humidity, especially in the winter, everything you touch zaps the heck out of ya. Small price to pay.

Tery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs