U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 4,344,785 times
Default cable service

Since I am looking, thought other newbies might too. Who do you have, how do you like the service, etc..
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 07:49 PM

17,202 posts, read 23,803,959 times
Comcast. No complaints.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:03 PM

132 posts, read 133,493 times
Default Dish

Dish Network is the best, I can hook you up

Old 12-06-2008, 08:20 PM

I currently have Comcast too Mike. We haven't had any complaints ourselves- we even get our internet through them. Reason we are considering switching is we could take a dish camping with us and I love to listen to Sirius and I could do so through the tv (right now I turn my computer speakers up). I am not a huge tv fan and would rather research and read online, listening to the radio. But, the man in the house is getting a tv real soon and the fire station has dish. So...thought I would see what everyone here has.
Thanks guys!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,339,722 times
Comcast. When it works, it works good. When it doesn't, you've gotta open up a can or two of whup-a** on their support dept.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 AM

362 posts, read 1,033,302 times
I recently dumped Comcast and switched to Qwest/Direct TV. My service is much improved; Qwest delivers a consistent, measured 6Mb/s over Wi-Fi in my home, and the picture quality of Direct TV is far superior to Comsast. All the channels on DTV are digital; on Comcast, most channels below 100 are analog. The compression they use to provide so many channels significantly degrades the signal. Direct TV has all local channels in HD except for Channel 13/ABC. For that one I use a separate antenna.

Comcast delivers service over cable, and I suspect that the problem is corrosion in the cable in my neighborhood. Their internet service was spotty, slow and many times would not connect at all. I was getting about 1Mb/s down and about 256kb/s up. That's unacceptable. Their customer service was awful. The tech said he did not know what the problem was and "the guy down the street is having the same problem." Correlation ya think?

Furthermore, waits on hold for them to answer on a call for service were 3 hours. Unacceptable!

So if I were you, ask the neighbors in your neighborhood about the service.

As for me, I'm totally pleased with the change.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,589,457 times
Comcast= Devil.

I have DirecTv now, and I NEVER have an issue with it. It's cheaper too.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 AM

83 posts, read 195,295 times
Have Comcast. Works fine, now that it's set up, but the install was a *nightmare*. Took 3 technician trips and like 8 phone calls to get what I actually ordered to work properly.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 16,607 times
Default Comcast - Speed Test

cable service-speedtest.jpg

Speed test from Comcast in Green Mountain Falls, mid-day on Saturday, on WiFi in the cabin.

In the rural areas, they seem to have good node distribution, and no saturation issues. It occasionally drops below 6 Mbps, but it's rare. The package I have is 16/1.5 Mbps, and I frequently get well above that, especially on the upstream.

Also, if the area you're going to be traveling has cell service (you can check the coverage maps for almost every carrier on their websites), a data card may be the way to go. On a CDMA/EvDO network such as Verizon, it will be a lot faster than a GSM/3G carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile, but coverage is usually the issue, not speed. If you already have a Smartphone and data plan, you can generally add "use the phone as a broadband modem" service for $10-20 a month, then you can just use a USB cable to connect to your phone and browse/research to your heart's content. Just make sure your data plan doesn't have bandwidth caps, and if it does, keep track of the usage (they should provide detailed info about that too).

Hope that's helpful!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM

We switched to Direct TV this week...dropped Comcast. It was funny because during our installation, Comcast walked up the walk and asked what they did wrong to lose our service. Direct TV and Comcast were doing the evil eye thing, it was comical.
P.S. I had no idea what DVR was and now the world of television has changed for me forever. I haven't used it yet, but its a bit freaky... I am just a simple gal...DH is elated and can't wait. Holy tamale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs