Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 AM

68 posts, read 255,012 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to find out in Feb. if we are going to move there in May. I was wondering if there are any one story houses with no basements; if not, which is better? I prefer one story ranch house, but I haven't actually seen any on the Trulia site. Are basements dark and does it cause uneven heating in the home like two-story houses can? Which one is better? Which one has more privacy in the backyard? I thought one-story houses would, but doesn't look like it with those weird balconies that are up high in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
We're in a ranch with a full basement. We paid extra to give our basement 9-foot ceilings and have it fully finished and well lighted. It's like having a second house down there, does not seem basement-like at all. It's not the dark, damp basements I recall from my childhood. Because most of the basement is below grade level, the heating system for that level almost never comes on and it needs no a/c at all.

IMO, better to have this style of "ranch" home than a 2-story on a slab and no basement, as that exposes BOTH levels to the elements and has to raise heating/cooling costs.

I'd expect there to be single story homes on a slab in this area, but not sure where they might be. A realtor would know for sure and I always advise working with one at some point (I'm not a realtor, nor in the biz). However, basements are very prevalent here and I'd much rather have one in any home I'm in, even if it's unfinished.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needrain View Post
I can't wait to find out in Feb. if we are going to move there in May. I was wondering if there are any one story houses with no basements; if not, which is better? I prefer one story ranch house, but I haven't actually seen any on the Trulia site. Are basements dark and does it cause uneven heating in the home like two-story houses can? Which one is better? Which one has more privacy in the backyard? I thought one-story houses would, but doesn't look like it with those weird balconies that are up high in the back.
It is becoming more and more common to see newer homes built on slabs, which at one time was unheard of in Colorado. Newer construction methods have allowed slabs to be insulated and in fact it is currently slightly cheaper to construct a new home home on a slab. Even so, it's still a bit on the rare side because Coloradans expect basements in their homes and are put off by ones that lack it. Still, you do see slabs in entry-level newer homes occasionally, at least in the Denver area (I can't speak for the Springs fromdirect experience). In addition to entry-level homes , some out of state transplants insist on slabs due to their familiarity with them, so for that reason you do run into them occasionally on resale homes.

Personally, I think you'd be crazy to consider a home without a basement in Colorado. Although slabs are cheaper than basements, the cost difference in overall construction costs is small when you consider the benefits of basement. Even if unfinished, basements provide great storage opportunity and the potential to expand your living area if needed. Just having a basement (even if unfinished) actually improves your home's HVAC efficiency because it gives you access to cooler air in the summer and warmer air in the winter due to its below-ground location. It is true that basements sometimes lack ample sunlight, but generous use of lighting can usually mitigate that.

As for ranches versus two-stories, I think that there are a fair number of ranches out there, as they are popular with some people. Two stories are probably more common in recent years but ranches are there as well.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM

121 posts, read 452,311 times
Needrain, there are some homes in Colorado Springs without basements, but it's a small percentage compared to those that do have basements. If you are purchasing a home, my opinion is you get a lot of added value with a basement (low cost per square foot) regardless of whether you choose a rancher or 2-story.

The options were confusing to me too, but I think I've got it figured out now. There are three types of basements in Colorado Springs:

1) Flat lot = in-ground basement. Basement is all underground, windows are encased with what's called a window well to help bring light in and also functions as fire escapes. Usually in Colorado you'll have 2-4 steps up to your front door, and about the same to your back door (off the main level).

2) Lot with at least 6-feet of slope from front to rear = walkout basement. Basement is underground toward the front of the house, and completely exposed toward the rear of the home with a door leading from the basement to the backyard. These are the houses you mentioned with decks off the main level. Basement windows at the back of the house are completely exposed, and windows toward the front of the house typically have full or partial window wells around them.

3) Lot with some slope from front to rear, but less than 6-feet = garden-level basement. Basement windows toward the back of the house are generally exposed (at least partially exposed) but the lot grade/slope doesn't come down far enough for a door. These homes usually have decks off the main level too.

In terms of cost, I've found flat lots are the lowest cost, walkout lots are the highest cost, and garden-level lots fall somewhere between. I imagine some of that cost is associated with the decks required on walkout and garden level.

Yes, basements tend to be a little cooler than the main/upper levels. Some homes have zoned heating (separate furnaces/thermostats for main level and basement level) but that's not very common outside of luxury homes.

In terms of privacy, I think that is more specific to the lot rather than the style of home. For example, if you have a flat lot, and your neighbor behind you has a walkout lot, that won’t feel very private for you.

Best wishes with your relocation. We have lots of people coming here in 2009 - so you're smart to find your home early.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM

68 posts, read 255,012 times
Thanks. That helps a lot. Wow, what a complete explanation. I hope everyone there is as nice as you three are. I think I like the basement now. Now, I will look for some privacy or trees in the backyard.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,359 times
Finding a home for sale without a basement in Colorado Springs can be difficult. All the development builders put in basements in all their homes. An unfinished basement is great storage or workshop space. Finished basements here usually have a recreation room and sometimes a bar or theater room in addition to one or more additional bedrooms.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Older homes, or homes in specific areas. I have a small 1948 house with no basement, and I bet there's quite a few like it in the neighborhood.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 AM

454 posts, read 1,224,504 times
alot of homes downtown don't have basements and also in OCC.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I like a master bedroom on the 2nd floor so we can leave the window(s) open at night during the summer without worrying about someone/animal easilly getting in.

I'd go for a 2 story WITH a basement!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM

224 posts, read 732,469 times
My sister has a ranch in Springs Ranch without a basement. Here house was built in the late 90s. So I know Richmond homes did that build.

My house is a ranch with a walk out basement and we love it! It does seem slightly cooler in the basement but it can work to your advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs