U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-25-2008, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 19,483 times
Default Vet Clinics and Pet Boarding Near PAFB

It's a controversial subject, I realize, but we need to get our cat declawed. We're new to the area and no one has been able to recommend a good vet or even a vet that performs the procedure. We live at PAFB so something close would be preferred, but we're willing to drive for a good clinic recommendation.
I really don't want to hit the phone book and make an assumption, so if anyone can offer a friendly and great vet we'd be super appreciative.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 10:26 PM

435 posts, read 741,609 times
I use Brown Vet but they are located on the Westside of town. We have had no problems with them and they haven't gouged us on any crazy vet bills including when my dog was there for 3 days after eating rat poision.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 AM

76 posts, read 171,005 times
We are happy with our vet at Four Paws out in Falcon. Its about 10 miles away from PAFB, but I'd thought I'd give you that option. Priced reasonably and I've never had someone who took so much time to explain animal's condition.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:57 AM

1,313 posts, read 4,846,898 times
just_jenn - I don't know if my veterinarian does declawing and they aren't close to PAFB but they are excellent...Briargate Veterinary on Rangewood (not the other one on Briargate Blvd.) is a great vet. My vet, whom I *laughs* love is Dr. Flenniken. Again, I don't know if they do declawing but I have never had a veterinarian as caring and have such a good "bedside" manner than him or his coworkers.

Their number is: 599-3339. It's a quick trip up Powers to Woodmen, right on Rangewood and a left after the 7-11. They allow me to bring in my fat kitty without a carrier (he's a rescue boy that I can't get his weight down, he's good with the other animals there so they don't give me a hard time seeing as he refuses the cat carrier).

Anyhow, just like your own health care, drive across town to find the best. I really believe in Dr. Flenniken and would drive across town knowing I had the best in health care for my dog and my cat. Call them and see. I don't know your situation so I wont pass judgement. My rescue boy was declawed before I brought him home. I don't like that he was declawed but I have to say, he is a wonderful old boy (14 years old now) and I love him declawed or not.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 19,483 times
Thanks I'll check into them. And I appreciate your "not judging".

Well, in simple terms the cat is ruining our furniture. We've had him for years and we never planned on getting him declawed. We declawed our first cat and she was actually super awesome minus claws. She was always an inside cat, but started sneaking out. We'd bring her back in, she'd go out again so we started letting her out more and more and eventually she didn't want to come inside at all. She would climb fences and all - minus claws. She was never tore up from fights, still killed mice and by all accounts seemed really happy.
But with our boy -who is an inside cat and fears the outside- we just didn't want to. However, despite buying every kind of scratching toy known (towers, door hangers, cubes, tunnels, etc) he goes for the couch. He absolutely ruined our last couch & loveseat (shredded/torn to the padding) and we ended up giving them away before moving here. We tried sprays; we tried wrapping the arms in cellophane and clear tape; we tried diversions with cat nip...everything. He didn't care.
When we moved here last month we bought a new couch. It's not even a month old and both arms are already scratched up. $800 is already going down the drain. We put spray on this couch, too, bought more scratching posts and nothing is helping. My husband is pissed and says it's either the cat goes or his claws do.
Obviously I know that people get in arms about this, but I don't care really. My cat is happy, healthy, spoiled and well loved. But we can't have him ruining our furniture again. Our last cat was declawed, never intending to be an outside cat, and we watched her flourish despite it.

I know with his age and weight there are concerns and these are things I want to discuss with a vet. I also want to know of other options (although I've read that putting on the tips only allows them to make bigger holes in the furniture), but the bottom line is something has to be done and unfortunately for my sweet boy it looks as though his clawing days are numbered.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:27 PM

77 posts, read 202,056 times
Just a tip before you maybe take that final step of declawing. Have you ever tried nail caps before? I've heard many good things about them and this might be a better option for your cat. Check Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats
When it comes to a hospital. East Springs Animal Hospital does declawing and is within 10 minutes of PAFB...right on the intersection of Powers and Constitution

Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM

10 posts, read 28,206 times
Default Boarding Kennels Close to Peterson

We will be PCSing to Peterson in June and will need to board our dog and cat until we find a home. Any advice on kennels close to Peterson AFB would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

17,204 posts, read 23,816,856 times
Camp Bow Wow might work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM

3,364 posts, read 5,652,817 times
I've heard good things about Camp Bow Wow, but I also like Petsmart on Academy. Really nice facility and they have some vet services on site.

Make sure they have all shots well ahead of the time you move... I know there is at least one shot they need to have at least 30 days before they are boarded.

Finding out the week beforehand could really put a dent in your plans!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,418,720 times
Not so close to Peterson - but worth the 20 min drive is
Lucky Dog
I've used them and really like it. I don't think they board cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs