U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,460 times

Advertisements

I visited the Colorado Springs area several years ago and was very much attracted to Woodland Park. I am pursuing employment in the Springs and was just wondering if I'm setting myself up for a horrific commute? I don't mind the mileage, but I don't do well with heavy traffic.
I would like @ 10+ acres and don't mind building myself. We have three young children, so schools and community are very important. I really don't want the wife to be miserable if the winters are too brutal either (I know this is somewhat subjective).
I do not want to live in a development, at least not in the typical sense and would just appreciate some candid input about family life in Woodland Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,847,549 times
IMO, the commute btw WP and COS is serious stuff. Hwy 24 is steep in parts with lots of twists and must be a bear in snowy conditions - but I've never tried it in the snow. It is a max of 4 lanes. They plan to widen Rte 24 btw COS and Manitou "someday" and when they do the work you'll have those delays to add to your trip. The road can get pretty busy from Manitou into COS. The further from downtown you work, the longer your commute will be.

I'd rather see you look at Black Forest. Mostly flat or slightly rolling. For the most part excellent schools in D20 or D38. Commute from BF to town is a snap and it's a lovely area, no sub-divs in the standard sense.

s/Mike
Not a realtor.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 PM

71 posts, read 105,251 times
Default Woodland Park Is Wonderful

Dear PoePoe,

Woodland Park is Heaven on Earth! We've lived here for 5 years now. My husband commutes everyday to Colorado Springs and ENJOYS every minute of it. The views are AMAZING! There is no traffic. Woodland Park is only 14 miles from Colorado Springs, and the highway 24 is new and very easy to drive. In the winter the roads are excellent. The sun is so powerful up here is clears off the roads in about 1 day - no matter what the temperature is. Woodland Park is definitely the best place to raise a family. It's like going back in time 50 years. People are nice, they aren't in a hurry, and are genuinely kind. The winters here a very mild. We have ALOT more sunny days than Colorado Springs. We have a different cloud system up here. We live in a rural wooded area called Ranch Estates. Just about 4 miles off of highway 24. Not your typical neighborhood, just gorgeous beautiful mountain wilderness. Zillions of aspen & pine trees & animals. The schools are great. Our kids both go to a private Christian school up hear (Colorado Springs Christian School). The public schools are great also. The buildings are new/newer and a small town feel. Our new library is the most beautiful one I've ever seen. If you have any questions, just ask.
Chris

Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM

649 posts, read 2,651,245 times
I agree with Mike. I am not sure you would want that commute to Woodland Park w/ small kids waiting for you to get home. Blackforest and Monument have alot to offer. Depends where your job is going to be too. bashep

Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,391 times
There is a lot to say about both places.
Black Forest has more open properties, more acreage. But Powers is a bear, and they are building more and more and more up there. Not very often do I not hear of a Car wreck on powers and barnes, and with the Cosmix going on and on, Woodmen and I25 ae horrible!
Driving to monument everyday is a fun filled traffic nightmare, but the houses and views there are really awesome. Also, snow can close off I25 north to Monument hill sometimes.
Woodland park is in the mountains. Communte is ok, as HWY 24 receives a lot of attention becasue of cripple creek. WP is smaller, closer knit community, but does not have all the ammenities of CO-SP. But when I looked at houses earlier this year in WP they were mostly not for the large family, or were relatively expensive. $400k+ easy.

Personally, without more info, you will have to judge for yourself.. there is a lot more to it becasue the houses are pricey in all three areas, it depends on where you work (north or south) Schools. Everyone says that D20 is the best, but you can find other schools that are really good (there are several Charter Academies around that are wonderful! And mostly free to attend).

Anyway, with your limited guidance, all three areas would be good.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,142,762 times
I think it would depend on where you are working. If you are employed at Ft Carson or somewhere on the south end, Woodland Park would be doable. If you work on the north or east side, then it would be horrible. Keep in mind that CO Springs business growth pattern is toward the north and northeast. Also many people commute to the south end of Denver for work and living in WP would take that option out. As mentioned earlier, Black Forest has acreage and great views, although not as nice as WP, IMO. Another thing to consider is your kid's involvement in extra-curicular activities. There is much more to offer in CO Springs.
We love Monument for it's location and feel. School District's 20 and 38 are both highly desireable and you can find just about any combination of housing from mountains to dense tracts-homes to large ranches.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM

4,335 posts, read 4,373,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poepoe View Post
I visited the Colorado Springs area several years ago and was very much attracted to Woodland Park. I am pursuing employment in the Springs and was just wondering if I'm setting myself up for a horrific commute? I don't mind the mileage, but I don't do well with heavy traffic.
I would like @ 10+ acres and don't mind building myself. We have three young children, so schools and community are very important. I really don't want the wife to be miserable if the winters are too brutal either (I know this is somewhat subjective).
I do not want to live in a development, at least not in the typical sense and would just appreciate some candid input about family life in Woodland Park.
I've known 3 families who moved up to Woodland Park and returned after one winter. One problem is that in commuting, you'll be driving into the sun both coming into the Springs in the morning, and going home in the evening.

Also, the additional altitude makes it a bit cooler, although when we get an up slope condition, Woodland Park can remain sunny while the Springs is cloudy.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,664 times
How is that area that you live in?

I have been looking at buying a few parcels there (small land/big house plans).

Did you get to do a regular septic there? Or, did you have to get an Aerobic one?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM

164 posts, read 712,829 times
Wow...someone brought this one back from the dead. Maybe start a new thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs