U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,106,824 times

Advertisements

Another +1 for a Subaru. Too bad the new Outback doesn't have the turbo option (as of yet), so I must only recommend the Legacy GT or Forester XT

If you are on a budget, you can get a new 2010 Impreza (small 4dr) with all of the power options, including sunroof and heated seats, for around $17,000 new or $16,000 if you prefer a 5 speed manual. Gets around 22/27mpg, so not bad for an AWD sedan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,472,044 times
If Subaru's aren't your thing there are several other subcompact cars that offer awd. The toyota matrix is available in awd as we as the suzuki sx4. The suzuki is cheaper that the subaru and offers a great warranty. A friend on mine recently bought one and it's pretty comparable to the fit. Probably not as reliable but hey, awd is nice! Also you might look into some smaller suvs that aren't gas guzzlers. I don't know if scion, nissan cube, or other suv's in the class of awd but it's worth looking into.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 28,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The Subaru Outback is the car of choice for many people, it will get you just about anywhere in the state, be it dry city streets or snowy mountain passes for the ski crowd. If you have a requirement to tow a trailer of any sort, then a truck might be better, else use our search tool with keyword: SUBARU

You're gonna love Colorado....dry air, few bugs, affordable, no hurricanes, lower taxes, cheaper homeowners insurance...
Mike from back East... thanks for the comment. I actually ended up with a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am so excited about moving to Colorado. Now to decide exactly where to live so I can start looking for a job.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallysue26 View Post
Mike from back East... thanks for the comment. I actually ended up with a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am so excited about moving to Colorado. Now to decide exactly where to live so I can start looking for a job.
I've got one too, a '99 model, showroom new. Gets me around fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 26,431 times
Everyones always stuck on Subaru because they're all awd.

Basically get any AWD car or FWD car will do, AWD is better at getting going in the snow. +1 to the comment about tires and stopping being more important.

Best to do period is to LEARN to drive in the snow. Learn your stopping ability, and always give extra braking space. Also drive slow enough to not lose control, but not so slow that you get stuck (particularly going up hill, feel free to go a bit faster, you have gravity on your side for stopping in that direction, and holding you stuck if you're going too slow) or risk getting in an accident with other vehicles, if you're not confident, stay in the right lanes.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM

926 posts, read 1,031,875 times
Another vote for Subarus ... my 1998 Legacy Outback is the best car I've ever owned. It's nearing on 200,000 on the odometer, and still going strong. It will go all kinds of places with the greatest of ease.

There's a reason every other car on the road here in Colorado is a Subaru.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
how is a volvo v70 XC? all wheel drive and a little extra ground clearance?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM

666 posts, read 988,465 times
No love for Elements? I figured they would be somewhat popular because of the AWD. I really like mine.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 PM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,480 times
You don't need a special car. Pretty much any front wheel drive car will do. If you put good tires and/or chains on a front wheel drive, it will get through almost anything (though chains are seldom necessary). Large 4wd SUVs and trucks are pretty much a waste of money, unless you need them for your work or for specific hobbies.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallysue26 View Post
So, I am hoping to relocate to Colorado from Florida by 2012. I am trying to figure out what vehicle would be best out there. From what I read I don't have to have a 4x4 truck, right?
A front wheel drive will get you around most of the time. I'm going to agree that the Subaru gets the job done pretty safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or