U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:00 PM

643 posts, read 2,233,806 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing the cold is different in Colorado then other places. It can be bone chilling when it gets in the 20's-30s but a friend said when you get to East Washington where it is dry you dont feel it so much. Is this the same as Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
CO is better, more intense sun on cold winter days. (eastern WA can be gray). You can drive around in shirt sleeves in CO. Here on the 'Westside' PNW, it can be pretty frigid at 40F with bone soaking moisture and very dark days and even darker nights. I rode my bike and motorcyle year-round in CO, but in WA it is too dark. (and wet) + roads are very narrow, and cars not used to watching for bikes, + steamy windows and bad wipers can be a problem. You know you're in PNW when accidents INCREASE on sunny winter days because drivers can't handle the 'glare'

Colorado homes typically have their water pipes buried deeper too...so, less time in CO thawing or replacing frozen pipes.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM

this is good to know I am in SW Washington also and this past winter here for some reason was soooo cold to me and I was not sure that I could do Colorado. I am looking forward to my family not dealing with S.A.D., we get it every year!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 PM

20,905 posts, read 39,184,055 times
Yes, dry air feels a lot less cold than it is. Reason is that moisture conveys heat/cold VERY well, that's why you can fall into a lake with a water temperature of 35 degrees and be dead in five minutes from hypothermia, but you can walk around all day in the same clothing with an air temperature of 35 degrees and be perfectly fine.

We lived back east for 55+years and the humidity is dreadful, as it probably is along the west coast. Dry air here in CO (and a few other inland / desert areas) is great, you don't feel the cold or the heat like you do in humid areas, and it works that way all year, not just seasonal.

s/Mike

Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,000,765 times
Default Sunny COS

Grew up in LA - used to perfect weather. Moved to the Palmer Divide (Monument area) 5/06. Living the weather in the Front Range through the present. Experiencing a relatively "bad" winter - frequent snow. At first a little challenging (psychologically) for a native Californian but it is not that bad at all. The snow melts in a day or two even though much of it fell in the low sun angle, slow melting months (Nov-Jan). Palmer Divide area gets a little more snow than COS but as a trade off, PD residents are only 35 minutes from south Denver, that is for consideration, another region (I-25/E-470) where many jobs, upscale shopping districts, and museums are located.

Traveled to DC off and on through this week. COS weather feels much warmer in cooler temperatures. DC 48F feels cold, COS 48F is T-shirts and shorts - no kidding. Sounds weird but it is true. May be a humidity thing. Lots of sun in COS - it's always beating on you in the winter. This week in COS it's been in the high 50s (as I watch the COS weather maps/traffic cams sitting here in a snow storm near Dulles).

As cosmopolitan and upscale as Crystal City and Herndon Virginia and (parts of) Los Angeles/Orange County California are, there is no way it would be practical for a young professional to establish an economical and secure family lifestyle there - unless someone handed them a million dollars.

Repetitive advice: Northern Colorado Springs is a very preferred place to live.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 PM

Wow to have so much sun! No wonder people like it there, te grey clouds and rain can be tiring. I am torn between living around COS or near Denver. I would like to be able to get to a city very easily and have safety, good schools etc. I also dont have a truck but a regular ol' Honda. I am worried about me or my daughter driving in daily snow/ice to school and such, so I am not sure about going north of COS,nearer to Denver. I like the thought of Manitou Springs but not much available in houses there. Do you like north side of COS as opposed to other areas or is it the area that people want to live there due to it being more upscale?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,764,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Wow to have so much sun! No wonder people like it there, te grey clouds and rain can be tiring. I am torn between living around COS or near Denver. I would like to be able to get to a city very easily and have safety, good schools etc. I also dont have a truck but a regular ol' Honda. I am worried about me or my daughter driving in daily snow/ice to school and such, so I am not sure about going north of COS,nearer to Denver. I like the thought of Manitou Springs but not much available in houses there. Do you like north side of COS as opposed to other areas or is it the area that people want to live there due to it being more upscale?
I think you'll know in about 5 seconds after looking whether you'd prefer northern COS or Manitou. Manitou is small, compact, walkable, touristy, historic, hippie, granola, kind of like a mini-Boulder. Northern COS is the polar opposite of that list in every way, but still a nice place to live in its own way. Like I said, it won't take long to figure out which is more your style; both are good in their own way.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:01 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,954,521 times
Quote:
I keep hearing the cold is different in Colorado then other places. It can be bone chilling when it gets in the 20's-30s but a friend said when you get to East Washington where it is dry you dont feel it so much. Is this the same as Colorado?
The dry air here is indeed one significant difference, but the altitude also plays a part. The sun feels more intense, particularly in the Fall. In October, it's possible to stand outside and the sun-exposed part of your body feels quite warm, while the back side is quite cold.

Guess you need to experience it to understand. The sun is a major influence at higher altitudes.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Wow to have so much sun! ... I am torn between living around COS or near Denver. I would like to be able to get to a city very easily and have safety, good schools etc. I also dont have a truck but a regular ol' Honda. I am worried about me or my daughter driving in daily snow/ice to school and such, ...
can you do Ft Collins or Loveland or Estes Park? weather is usually milder than COS and DEN. Plenty of services too.

I was able to drive year round in N. CO with a std car (and no snow tires). I did have an old pickup with meaty snow tires, but seldom used it. Often the snow is crunchy (good traction) and the sun melts off during the day, and Chinook winds can dissolve snow overnight. All my siblings drove to school and daily to college (25-30 miles one way). Transportation is not usually a problem (excluding this 'freak' year ~1:15).

But here in SW WA, we have several bouts of freezing rain and very heavy wet snow. The road crews are not too great. so... I have to keep one of my vehicles mounted with aggressive studs. (I'm up a long steep road with switchbacks). The kids drove 100 miles daily for HS / college, glad that's over...

Old 03-08-2007, 04:03 PM

I had thought about Ft Collins area and others around Denver but figured there wouldnt really be a warm summer and freezing winters. I thought there was such a difference in the 2 areas weather wise. I just dont want to be stuck inside all winter again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs