U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

641 posts, read 1,864,925 times

Advertisements

Sprangers,

As the weather is getting cold, everything in my house is zappin' the heck outta me. I'm thinking to have an in-line humidifier installed with my gas heat system.

As I imagine this is common here, if you have one installed, what brand is it and what type? Do you think it's effective??

I know Honeywell and Aprilaire are pretty common units. I've also heard good things about the Skuttle brand. Any reviews?

How much was the installation??

Tks in advance
Terytee

Last edited by Terytee; 01-06-2009 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM

121 posts, read 377,071 times
I have a Honeywell humidifier, which attaches directly onto the furnace and adds moisture to the air pushed out by the furnace. I paid $600 through the builder, which is probably on the high side. I imagine you could expect it to cost a bit less than that by having a plumber install it.

I initially forgot to turn mine back on this winter, and I was getting shocked a lot. Once I turned it on and got the moisture back in the air that has stopped. Plus my hardwood floors and my skin are healthier when I run it.

FYI - if you have A/C don't forget to turn your humidifier off in the summer or you'll end up with an ice block in your furnace!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,824,078 times
I got a portable Honeywell unit from walmart for around $100 and it humidifies most of one floor with ease. I sort of regret buying it because it seems to make it cooler inside, it's a pain to fill it everyday and I haven't been having many static problems without it, so i haven't been using it much at all.

My point is, you might want to buy one or two portable units ($100 was the high-end, BTW) before investing in a central unit. But that's just my o2.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,494,520 times
I have a Honeywell furnace wart. Tapped into the hot water tank for the water supply. Keeps the house at ~15-20% humidity. Works good, lasts a long time.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 AM

565 posts, read 1,562,429 times
I self installed a Desert Springs humidifier with the optional flush kit and it works great. A little more costly compared to others available such as Honeywell for self installation but worth the extra. It is a whole house unit that attaches to the furnace.

~ $200 humidifier at Lowes
~ $100 auto flush unit at Lowes

Don't need to change filters - it uses plastic disks that rotate through water in a basin. The auto flush dumps the water every 48hrs and refills with fresh water. Comes with thermostat and overall not too hard to install. Adjustable up to 40% humidity.

p.s.: The waterline connector is made for copper lines. I have pex piping. I ended up attaching a copper stub to my pex manifold then connected the waterline.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Tks for the responses er'ybody. I think I am gonna' go with a Honeywell. I'm jus' tired of getting of the pain!!!

Terytee

Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
MGS

72 posts, read 173,901 times
What is the best way to do this? Buy the unit - hire a plumber? Or contact a plumber and have him/her get/recommend the unit? Either way, sounds like we need a plumber, right? We've never had any type of humidifier...coming from east coast - didn't need one. While my husband is handy, he's never done anything like this. One more thing...if we need a plumber, can someone recommend one they trust / reasonable cost? Thanks a lot,

Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM

The best thing to do is hire an HVAC tech, not a plumber, and have them order the unit for you. That's what I did for mine.

Many HVAC techs are "dealers" for one brand or another and can get the unit and or spare parts for a better price.

I was fortunate enough to be able to "hire" an HVAC tech that happens to work in my office building during the day and has a side business for after hours work. He is also a dealer for Honeywell products. I think I paid him $300 for the unit and labor. I don't know if that's a typical price for HVAC companies.....doubtful.

I would look online for companies that have good reviews and get at least 3 bids and go from there.

I had a Honeywell unit (HE225) installed onto my heater and haven't had any problems with it. I also like the fact that I can buy new filters for it at Home Depot. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by Terytee; 12-01-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM

32 posts, read 61,878 times
Has anyone had problems with these whole-house humidifiers creating a mold or bacteria problem thru the forced air system? And can it be prevented or mitigated if it occurs?
Thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM

If you've got mold as a result of your whole house system, I would contact an HVAC company to come out and take a look and see if it's functioning properly.

Mold can be very dangerous to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs