Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 19,661 times

Advertisements

This will be our first winter here (with a fifteen year old) and we're wondering if there are any good locally known sledding spots. We live in the southwest part of Co Spgs, pretty much across from Fort Carson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 05:02 PM

45 posts, read 275,674 times
They only one where I have personally seen a lot of people sledding is up on Rockrimmon Blvd. It is just South of the Safeway shopping center, right on Rockrimmon Blvd.

Safeway
840 VILLAGE CENTER DR
COLO SPGS, CO 80919

Although now that I'm thinking about it I think Palmer Park (the park, not the street) & Bear Creek Park both have some good hills. I would bet a lot of people go there.

Kelly

Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
It's in Monument but there is a great place called Tobaggan Hill in Woodmoor. Parents kick back in the sun with the BBQ going while the kids burn themselves out on the hills.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
Also near Woodmen and Rangewood there is COOK Communications. Just south of their parking lot there is some great sledding. Cottonwood Park is always a hit, but can get very busy.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:25 PM

227 posts, read 1,043,999 times
Default Sledding/Snowboarding Hill - an hour from the Springs

If you are a beginning snowboarder and were looking for a place to work on perfecting your skills so you could eventually go to the ski resorts and not feel like you were wasting your money on just FALLING DOWN all day long....I finally found a perfect hill to practice on. Good news: it's FREE! Bad news: it's not in town.

Drive an hour north to Littleton and you will find SLEDDING HILL PARK. We just went there yesterday and even though it's mainly for sledding, I still counted quite a few snowboarders, and there were some adults (like me) among them!

Littleton got 7 inches of snow on Christmas Day, followed by another 7 inches on Dec 27th. The hill was wonderful! It faces north so it takes its sweet time melting.

Take I-25 North, to C-470 West (heading towards Grand Junction). Exit Kipling and turn right. At the intersection of Kipling and Ken Caryl, go through the light and immediately look to the left. You will see the hill and the parking lot at the bottom. You'll need to make a U-turn at the next light and come back and park. It's about an hour drive from N. Academy.

Get there early though - by 11am the lot was full. We got there at 8:30am and practically had the hill to ourselves. When we left at 12:30, cars were waiting to get in!

Another good place to sled/beginning snowboard is Toboggan Hill in Monument. Intersection of Deer Creek Rd and Toboggan Hill Rd. We drove by (after getting great word-of-mouth recommendations from some friends who live near there) and I would have to say the Sledding Hill Park in Littleton is better - longer run - but if Monument got pelted with snow and Littleton didn't - I would hit Toboggan Hill in a heartbeat!

Hee hee! So excited! My daughter and I can practice our snowboarding, get a lot better at it (i.e. to the point where we're not falling every 20 feet or so) and then, hit the ski resorts! I hate the idea of driving 2 or 2 1/2 hours to PAY them and then fall down all day long, on the beginner hill!! Plus there's the issue of gas....and I get sleepy on the long 2 hr drives.....I actually found Sledding Hill Park in Littleton on the City Data DENVER forum, so thanks!!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Default excellent topic!

When we tube/sled, we use the hill at Mesa Ridge HS, it has a great hill. Two football fields sit side by side, divided by a hillside. So you start on football field and sled down the hill to the other football hill. The ONLY bummer is that sometimes the school leaves up the baseball fence so if you sled in the wrong area- WHAM!- fence.

I still haven't tried Frasier Hill yet, my middle son hates the snow and cold.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Another good place to sled/beginning snowboard is Toboggan Hill in Monument.
Toboggan Hill is only for sledding/tubing. Skis/snowboards are not allowed. Technically it is only for residents of Woodmor, although I have no idea if that is ever enforced. Took my 7yo there today.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:55 AM

227 posts, read 1,043,999 times
vfrpilot - thanks for the info about the snowboarding...I did see a few people boarding on Saturday afternoon, though not many. Maybe 5 or so. The hill was PACKED with people. Is there a sign posted that boarding isn't allowed? or is it more of a thing where people there will just look at you funny if you board? I didn't have any problems boarding at the Sledding Hill Park in Littleton and there were no signs prohibiting that either. Just trying to make sure I don't step on people's toes! Thanks a lot.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Is there a sign posted that boarding isn't allowed? or is it more of a thing where people there will just look at you funny if you board?
There's a couple of signs, one in the parking area. We saw one boarder on Sunday, but we weren't there very long. I'd love to use the hill with my board, but the mix of tubes, sleds, little kids, and crazy old people(me-53), would be more dangerous than it already is. Maybe if you could get up there early enough and Woodmor Security doesn't see you.........
If you already haven't, you might check out Loveland Valley Ski Area. They are located next to Loveland Basin, and cater to beginner ski/boaders. They have a limited lift ticket available for $24(I think). Check their website.
Picture is Tobbogan Hill yesterday.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
There's a couple of signs, one in the parking area. We saw one boarder on Sunday, but we weren't there very long. I'd love to use the hill with my board, but the mix of tubes, sleds, little kids, and crazy old people(me-53), would be more dangerous than it already is. Maybe if you could get up there early enough and Woodmor Security doesn't see you.........
If you already haven't, you might check out Loveland Valley Ski Area. They are located next to Loveland Basin, and cater to beginner ski/boaders. They have a limited lift ticket available for $24(I think). Check their website.
Picture is Tobbogan Hill yesterday.
When I go there I bring my BBQ and cook a platter of chicken thighs, get a tan, and let the kids de-energize. Never been hassled.

Paul, You want to meet us tomorrow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs