U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,588,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-Urbanist View Post
Downtown Colorado Springs is for you! Manitou Springs is for you! Old Colorado City is for you!

Suburban Colorado Springs is good for no one... They can keep their conservative crap out there, but the rest of the town would welcome you with open arms!

Hahahah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM

303 posts, read 192,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Okay, with those attitudes, you'll probably do fine...on the music thing, I meant more the association with people of differing tstes, not so much the access to music, since as you pointed out the internaet and mp3 players make that a non-issue.

Oh, and whoever thought point #1 was ridiculous - it's not - I've heard more than one CA or FA transplant seriously complain about NEVER being able to wear flip-flops outside here. It's a pretty big part of culture for a lot of people in those warmer climates. Anyone who has lived there understands what I mean.

As long as you're willing to get outdoors into the plains and the mountains year-round, regardless of weather, you'll probably love it here, as do I.
I was raised in S.CA and have lived here in Colorado Springs for 12 years and I wear flip flops every year and in fact own several pair. We have beautiful spring, summer and fall days and even days like today when I could wear flip flops. I live in the Hunter's Point/Peregrine part of town...at 6,800 ft...yeah, I wear flip flops.

Should you decide to move to Colorado Springs, I feel confident you would be welcomed. It is a great place to live.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM

106 posts, read 106,361 times
Here are a couple of reasons to move to Colorado Springs...that's Pikes Peak in the background, viewed from the Briargate Parkway/Powers (north-east) Colorado Springs area...my back yard:

And here's one more:

Best regards,
Ed D.

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 01-16-2009 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM

23 posts, read 51,561 times
I'm a liberal SoCal transplant, and i live in Suburban Colorado Springs and love it! I do have one or two conservative friends it's best to keep my mouth shut around, but they're primarily military not suburbanites. I also wear flip-flops from Spring to Fall, then it's cute boot season. We have perfect flip-flop weather here, except of course when it rains. I've lived here for 2.5 years, but adjusted to cold climates by living in Iowa then Spokane for about 4 years before moving here.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 AM

2,438 posts, read 4,968,818 times
Regretting I ever mentioned flip-flops...sheesh...

The point is, several folks I've talked to from warm climates (SoCal, Fla) have complained to me about the cooler annual temps here, and lack of sandy beaches. It might not be a problem if you're not too attached to such things.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
SYS

297 posts, read 616,420 times
As an Asian-American with 20 years of residency all over CA (San Diego is my hometown, but I've lived in Oxnard, Santa Barbara, and Berkeley/S.F.), and with about 7 years of having lived here in Colorado Springs, I can tell you that you should expect quite a bit of adjusting to do if you're seriously considering Colorado Springs. If you're looking at both CO and OR, then I wouldn't hesitate to point you in the OR direction as a "likely" better fit for you. If you insist on CO, then I'd highly suggest looking into Denver and its vicinity rather than CS. I'm not bashing CS, as it has many great things to offer. I'm only stating things from "good fit or not" perspectives and obviously in a very general way since I don't know you personally and not all Asian-Americans are stereotypical in their preferences.

But, as an Asian-American here are some of the things that I found noticeably lacking in comparison to the Orange County that you most likely have gotten used to:

1) A gross lack of decent Asian restaurants. Jun's Japanese restaurant is barely tolerable, but it's one of those that you'd label it "third rate" knowing the Orange County standards. AI just has better building, but that's just about it. Stay home and cook your own stuff as we do, which can be challenging given:

2) A gross lack of quality Asian markets to buy things to cook your own. A lot of the stuff they carry are from... you guessed it... Orange County or other parts of L.A. and Denver.

3) The bulk of Asian-American population has ties with the military and businesses that cater to this population. You often see them come and go, i.e., they're highly transitional rather than rooted. You'll hardly find professional Asian-Americans here, unlike in Denver. If you're looking for a decent number of educated professionals here, you'd be disappointed.

4) In comparison to what you're exposed to in Orange County, the highly conservative place like Briargate can be stifling but less so in other places. If you happen to be highly conservative, then this would be a nice fit. As a parent of two, I consider myself more conservative now than CA years, but I still find the place stifling.

While I only mentioned just a few that I personally felt the greatest as an Asian-American upon moving here, there are other generic things that you'd need to also consider, such as your body's tolerance for the high altitude living. The reason why I mention this is because I developed rapid heart beat syndrome called arrhythmia since I moved here, while my older boy is suffering from sinus problems. I know it's high altitude related because I didn't have to take any medication this past summer when I was vacationing with my family at a seaside resort for a month.

Obviously it's an individual preference as to what you can live with and what you can't. We had to sacrifice some of the things we were highly used to when we moved here, but once you're beyond that point, it's just the matter of adjusting and focusing on things that you like about the place. As I have pointed out elsewhere, the things that I really like about CS are:

1) Excellent place to raise your kids: good schools and kids-centered sports and activities
2) Clean air, hardly any bad traffic, and safe (in selective areas, though)
3) Lots of exposure to nature: Garden of the Gods, various nature centers, hiking areas, etc.)
4) My favorite zoo is right here, Cheyenne Mt. Zoo, the only mountain zoo in the nation
5) Easy access point to lots of nearby attractions, such as skiing resorts and hot springs...

Anyway, good luck in choosing your happier place!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM

23 posts, read 51,561 times
One thing the OP mentioned is that she burns easily. Since we're closer to the sun here than in most places, you'll burn very quickly, so make sure you wear sunscreen at all times. Even in winter.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 PM

435 posts, read 741,055 times
I am not doubting what you are saying but in 5 years I have been in the Springs I haven't never been sunburnt, only when snowboarding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
One thing the OP mentioned is that she burns easily. Since we're closer to the sun here than in most places, you'll burn very quickly, so make sure you wear sunscreen at all times. Even in winter.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 PM

1,931 posts, read 4,342,671 times
Ski naked...

Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,968,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
Since we're closer to the sun here than in most places, you'll burn very quickly, so make sure you wear sunscreen at all times. Even in winter.
I don't mean to sound like a stickler, or a know-it-all, here, but perhaps I should clarify something...

We're not really any closer to the sun here. Well, maybe a mile or so closer than sea-level towns right at high-noon, but that's not enough to make even a tiny fraction of a difference when you're talking about an average distance of 92900000 miles (149476000 kilometers) from the Earth to the Sun.

It's true that you will burn quicker here though, and you should definitely wear sunscreen. It's because of the thinner air here. There's less atmosphere around us and above us to filter out the sun's rays, so the sun is a lot more powerful to us at higher altitudes, especially on clear days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs