Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,900,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
we'll make him the patron saint of colorado springs, strictly a titular position, no duties, just hang around and look good.
Made me laugh

Last edited by vfrpilot; 01-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: no grinning faces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 AM

648 posts, read 2,931,591 times
Hiromi813, do you want a newer house or older, or does it matter?
Brooke (bashep)

Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,629 times
Just to be clear - I am a female .

Thanks again for all the info. We are trying to get away from all the materialism and snobbiness. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good people here...but I hate how everyone is so judgemental from what kind of jeans you're wearing or what kind of car you drive. I find it ridiculous when I see people driving Ferrari's and Lambo's, but living in an apartment or with their parents!

The prices here are ridiculous too. My parents bought a townhome with 3 bed + den/2 1/2 bath, 1700 sq ft. for 580k back in March 2006. We have been renting it out from them for 2400/month, which is the mortgage. The prices have gone down quite a bit...but houses in my neighborhood are still selling for 450k. It's a lot for not so much, in my opinion.

I know we will have to change some of our ways and I think it will be for the better. We like having things close by...but we aren't too fond of the traffic here or the attitudes. We are really laid back people and just want a place where we can enjoy ourselves and the things/people around us. We also enjoy eating out...we eat out probably 3-4 times a week.

It just seems like a better fit for us to move somewhere affordable and in a house we will really enjoy living in and to a community that is more calm and carefree.

Brooke - We really don't have a preference on new or old...but I guess we would prefer a home that was built after 1980.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM

121 posts, read 450,249 times
I think either adjusting your desired acreage OR heading toward the east (Falcon or beyond) will best accommodate your $300k price range. If you come visit for a few days you'll be able to get a much better feel for your options.

And as a Colorado native (which IMO doesn't mean anything about me other than I was born here - and I might be a better driver in snow!), I say welcome! You'll most likely love it here and most people here will be glad to have you join us.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,150,615 times
Your parameters for a dog-friendly neighborhood close to hiking and such will be easily met -- you'd have to WORK to find any other type of hood around here.

That said, and this is the sort of gross-genralization that niormally irks me, but here goes anyways...

I've lived in San Diego, Orange, and Santa Clara counties in CA for most of my life... But now I live here in El pas count, CO. In my not-so-educated opinion, most Southern Californians, especiall OC'ers will not do very well here in CO unless they are really ready for a complete change in every aspect of their life... Here are the reasons why:

1) You're probably used to wearing flip-flops and shorts, or even going barefoot, for at least half the year, there in OC. In CO, you probably won't see your ankles or toes, outside of the shower, ever again while you're here.
2) As an OC'er, you're likely into progressive rock, west-coast hip-hop, and are repelled by country music and classic rock. Get ready for the opposite.
3) You likely won't prefer climbing 14ers and getting muddy, wet and dirty, over looking good on the beach and 'going out'.
4) You probably prefer sushi over elk. it's the opposite here. (I know they say there's sushi places, here, but I'll let you be the judge of that)
5) No one will care about how cool you are, being from SoCal, will likely give you a hard time about your driving, and won't want to hear you drone on about the lack of Trader Joe's, 'real' mexican food, and any body of water larger than Lake Perris.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE it here in CO, but I'm from Nor. Cal which is a lot more 'woodsy' (for a city) than OC, and I had longed for the mountains and snow here for as long as I can remember (we used to visit family here a lot when I was a kid)

For something out of CA that's a little more like SoCal and OC, try Vegas. Or Florida.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,629 times
love colo summers - thanks! We are planning to visit before we make our final decision - I just wanted to get some idea's of which places to check out before we schedule the trip. Thanks for your suggestions.

Treedonkey - 1. I wear flip flops, but I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal - so the not being able to wear shorts its a plus for me, since I die in the heat wearing jeans. 2. Music isn't an issue. There are plenty of radio players on the internet (www.pandora.com) which let you choose the artists you like or the type of music you like and stream it as long as you leave it on. Since we'll both be working from home, I don't think we will driving THAT much. 3. We are outdoorsy and prefer hiking over going to the beach. I don't do well in the sun (I burn easily). 4. Being Japanese, I do have my fair liking for sushi, but I won't die without it. We love trying new foods and exploring the unknown! 5. I don't want people to care how "cool" i am. That is what we are trying to get away from. Always having to prove yourself or living up to "OC" expectations. I get a hard time for driving just for being asian! I don't shop at Trader Joe's...in fact...i've never even been! As long as there is a supermarket that sells food, that's fine.

The whole reason why we have decided between Colorado and Oregon was because we have heard that it was more laid back and had a lot of nice mountain views, hiking spots, and friendly people. Which is exactly what we're looking for.

Thank you for listing the reasons of the differences...I really appreciate it. Especially from someone who has lived here and now lives there. It really helps.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,439,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love colo summers View Post
I think either adjusting your desired acreage OR heading toward the east (Falcon or beyond) will best accommodate your $300k price range. If you come visit for a few days you'll be able to get a much better feel for your options.

Don't do it! (Go east.)

Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,439,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post

1) You're probably used to wearing flip-flops and shorts, or even going barefoot, for at least half the year, there in OC. In CO, you probably won't see your ankles or toes, outside of the shower, ever again while you're here.

3) You likely won't prefer climbing 14ers and getting muddy, wet and dirty, over looking good on the beach and 'going out'.

4) You probably prefer sushi over elk. it's the opposite here. (I know they say there's sushi places, here, but I'll let you be the judge of that)

5) No one will care about how cool you are, being from SoCal, will likely give you a hard time about your driving, and won't want to hear you drone on about the lack of Trader Joe's, 'real' mexican food, and any body of water larger than Lake Perris.

Don't be ridiculous! Especially #1!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,900,538 times
We moved to Monument about 5 yrs ago from San Diego. We knew things were not the same here. That's the primary reason we moved. We had to adapt our lives a bit to fit a different lifestyle. I had to buy more jackets and 'big-boy' pants. We learned about snow removal equipment and driving on icy roads. I am the first and only in my family to own a snowblower and snowshoes. But I also ride a motorcycle most of the year(rode on New Year's Day) and snowboard in the winter. The pace is definitely slower here. Our older kids still live in SoCal and find life here too slow for their tastes. If you both love the outdoors and are adaptable to different weather, sometimes extreme, you'll love it here.
As far as areas for larger lots, if you like trees look at the north end of COS, Black Forest, Monument, and Palmer Lake. We get more snow cause we're higher, but it's very nice, especially in the summer. Going east will get you larger lots, but it's prairie with few trees and further away from I-25, the main artery of the Front Range.
btw-I too stereo-type Asian female drivers. But then again, my mother was and my daughters are, so I know first hand

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM

121 posts, read 450,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Don't do it! (Go east.)
As always, to each their own. That is why a visit should help.

I have lived in Falcon (east) for 5 years and love it. There are plenty of 1-acre options if that remains important to you; and pricing is lower out east. But if you prefer to be close to the action it isn't your best option (althogh most amenities you need are in Falcon), nor is Woodland Park or anything west of there in that case.

I also lived a short time in San Diego, and loved that too. Warm weather is my thing and I love the beach, but we get our fair share of warm days and sun here, and our mountains are a great trade-off for the ocean. Plus our traffic is nothing compared to CA, the cost of living here is much easier to handle, it is a slower and more laid back pace of life here, and we get the BRONCOS! Yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs