U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 18,483 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband and I are very interested in moving to Colorado! I want to come there today and figure it all out, I can' t tell you how excited we are. I want to get much accomplished in our trip there in April! We are a young married couple. I have read so many posts on here about Colorado. But have some questions still! ("why choose colorado springs" awesome information!) We are just starting out and want to meet young couples, and friends, possibly other transplants, and have lots of great times especially before we have children. Since we are moving from Minnesota, we are going to be leaving a lot and don't want our impressions of colorado to be negative based on not being able to connect with others around our age! We have heard wonderful things about Colorado Springs and think in the future we might want to settle there. Is it a good suggestion for young-ins like us to live in at this stage in life too?

Also, I come from a military family and have nothing but respect, but I've heard that in Colorado Springs, there is a very heavy Air Force influence over the area. Is this negatively affecting anybody? Positively? Is it great enough to influence a decision to choose another city?

We'd love to be somewhere around or between Denver, and Colorado Springs. We want to be close to the mountains. We will be visiting: Woodland Park, Castel Rock, Cripple Creek, Black Forest, Canon City, and areas around them. Anybody have suggestions on MUST-SEEs while there?

What city/town has the best views? (if you had to pick!) We'd love any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 06:21 PM

71 posts, read 105,234 times
Default Woodland Park Info

Hello. I have lots of posts on details of Woodland Park, Colorado. Take a look. If you have any questions, just ask.
Chris

Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM

62 posts, read 236,128 times
Default Still have questions - things to see

I moved from VA little over two years ago and love CO Springs. If your looking to connect with other young married couples this is a great place for that.

While your out here I would ride the cog railway in colorado springs up to the top of pikes peak, royal gorge in canyon city, and if time permits maybe drive out to Buena Vista (2 hrs from springs) and see the collegiate peaks.

One last thing...I found that the Air Force presense is nothing but positive.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizman56 View Post
I moved from VA little over two years ago and love CO Springs. .... One last thing...I found that the Air Force presense is nothing but positive.
Hello, we moved here from NoVA about 20 months ago.....from Chantilly, VA in gridlocked Fairfax County.

The USAF presence here is credited with helping make D20 schools so good, especially in Briargate, Pine Creek, Glen Eagles, Monument and nearby areas. The thinking is that these folks KNOW what a good education is all about and will not accept less for their kids. I'm told that schools in D20 have plenty of science and aeronautics, as well as advance placement and IB programs.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 AM

641 posts, read 1,956,398 times
I really can't think of a reason why a heavy Air Force presence would be negative, unless you just can't stand Air Force people in general. I'm a bit biased, but most military families are "stand-up" kinda' folks with solid work ethics, and a sense of personal and community responsibility.

There are a lot of military people or military affiliated people throughout the area, (retired, and AF and Army civillian employees, DoD contractors). Because of the Air Force and the space/satellite focused mission here in Colorado, that also brings in a heavy science and technology industry. Northrop, Lockheed, L3, Raytheon, all have multiple offices here.

The military presence also probably has something to do with the more politically conservative tone to the town.

It's not just AF though, Ft. Carson is home to an Army Infantry Division and it's not small. But still, not everyone in town has a shaved head.

I recently moved here from the DC area, like Mike from Back East, and I've loved it. The only downsides that I've noticed is the roads can be a bit torn up....heavy snow and freezing weather and then warm days immediately after causes pot-holes and it leaves some of the main roads in bad condition.

And there are parts of town that are a little run down....folks don't take care of the outside of their homes, which makes neighborhoods look slopply, but I suppose you'll find those things everywhere.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 47,236 times
Well, baileybabe...if you want to meet transplants, come to Colorado Springs! haha I'm a native of this city, and I am a rarity...I expect to be asked to go on display very soon.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM

649 posts, read 2,650,686 times
Hey, I am native too!! Where did you go to school? bashep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or