U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 9,732 times
Default Better place to live Southern part of COS or Pueblo?

We are considering a job offer in Pueblo. I have a family with 2 grade school age kids. We are considering spending $250-300k on a house and would like a decent school district. I don't mind the 30 minute commute or so, so traveling is not a big deal. Would you suggest the COS area or Pueblo?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 AM

1,931 posts, read 4,342,671 times
If you get a job in Pueblo, then do Pueblo. You will be able to buy a lot more house too. If you live in the Fountain Valley area, the climate isn't much different than Pueblo and it has a smaller town feel but not the amenities of COS or Pueblo (but COS is just a hop skip and jump away). As far as activities that your kids can partake in while living in the Fountain Valley area, Security/Widefield Community Center does offer sports or you can drive up into Colorado Springs for thier activities. The YMCA in Fountain also offers sports activities but the gym in Fountain is the pits and the best facility is in Springs, but in the ghetto area. Additionally, you said you don't mind the commute, but you might if you find that the part of town in COS that you like is on the north or east side of Springs making your commute much more....1hr if not more dealing with Powers, Academy, I-25 traffic. I really think you should look in Pueblo. Pueblo is a nice town. But, it's your choice...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:48 AM

435 posts, read 741,055 times
there is a ymca on nevada and pikes peak.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 PM

140 posts, read 289,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
The YMCA in Fountain also offers sports activities but the gym in Fountain is the pits and the best facility is in Springs, but in the ghetto area.
Ghetto area may be a little extreme. If you are talking about the new YMCA on Astrozon. It is a little rough over there, but hey that's what happens to the suburbs after they've lived out there lifetime. Just wait until today's suburbs get older... Watch out for how nasty they get, but that won't affect any of you anyway as you will move out even further (or hopefully back into the City, which is my hope) at that point leaving the Stetson Hills-like neighbors for "affordable housing" and "ghetto"-ization. It's the natural evolution of a place that is built and sold for the initial buyers with no regard for future generations... I wish today's developers would start to build with regard for making communities rather than monochromatic tract housing...

Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Maybe a bit rough, it's just that I know a lot of the teens and 20 somethings that go there and there is a good mix of bloods and crips that hang there. Am I speculating no, they fully admit their colors to me. (Working at an alternative HS that openingly accepts gang members, you get to know them on a personal level.) But, there is a good fight of young families who attend and are trying to keep it safe and family friendly. The staff is pretty good at keeping on top of it and tolerate much from the kiddos.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Also want to remind you that there is no true ghetto here in COS. I did misuse the word in that sense. It's just an older part of town that is more run down and has more crime. So, I apologize in that aspect...but I still advise you not to look at the southern part of town unless you are doing Cheyenne Mtn area.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,732 times
Default I will look in Pueblo

Thank you for the feedback, I will start our search in Pueblo.
If you have any suggestions on that area...please let me know (specific parts of the city)...Thanks Again

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM

17,193 posts, read 23,790,026 times
May be best to rent for a year. Several reasons:
- Gives you time to really explore both COLO SPGS and Pueblo to find what works best for you.
- Home prices may decline even more in the coming year.
- Job may not pan out. Hope it does and and that all goes well for you.

s/Mike fbe (Fairfax, VA area)

Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM

8,086 posts, read 13,036,887 times
With regards to school districts, I like 70. That has you in Pueblo West, out in the County (east... on the Mesa or near the lanes) or even south to Colorado City and Rye where they have Craver Middle School (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp?cmdSelect=getReportCard&schoolI D=39589&searchYear=2008 - broken link). I don't know how Craver rates among the district 60 schools in the city limits of Pueblo, but Rye High School (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp?cmdSelect=getReportCard&schoolI D=39590&searchYear=2008 - broken link) is superior to the High Schools in Pueblo City Limits from an academic standpoint.

Not to say you couldn't get a good education there.

I think Pueblo West (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/pdf/2008_2700_7214_H.pdf - broken link) is all around pretty good, at least in the High School ranks, but... you need to check that out. P-Dub! Cyclones were the 07 4A State Football Champs! Yeah!

But I've seen Rye win no less than 3 2A Basketball Championships. Do your kids play basketball by chance?

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-20-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM

2,438 posts, read 4,968,818 times
If you're job is in Pueblo, why wouldn't you just live there? There are plenty of nice neighborhoods, and some bad ones, in either area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs