U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 25,316 times

Advertisements

Another vote for La Casita. We always joke that any Mexican restaurant has to pass the "La Casita test" to go on our list, meaning they have to have good food at comparable prices. To date none have passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM

149 posts, read 287,558 times
Default La Unica Authentico

I tried La Unica Authentico this week. The food was very good. The chicken tacos were made with both dark and white meat. If you like only white or dark you can make a special request. I met the older daughter and she was very nice. Enchiladas were great. I am also a big fan of home-made chips. i was disappointed that the chips were not home-made but the salsa was spicy and quite tasty. She told me her dad did not have a large enough fryer to make the chips but all the taco shells and tortillas for the food were all home-made. All in all a great dinner. A little far from me though. I want to know where the home made chips are at. Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,197 times
I eat out a lot in COS and like to hit the Mexican places pretty often. Most of my faves have been mentioned, but here are a couple that haven't been mentioned yet :

Cafe El Paso : North Nevada, near the national headquarters of Western Horseman Magazine (bet you didn't know our city was that important !) I'd call them a slightly yuppie version of authentic El Paso Mexican. (???) Margaritas OK, the red chili is awesome. The beans are actually worth eating.

Another that hasn't been mentioned is El Tesoro, on (search for the pun ) Sierra Madre, sort of behind the Antlers Hotel downtown. The food is creative and well-done, but it's somewhat pricey and probably not typical of anything in Mexico. The margaritas are sweetened with honey.

And I do realize it's not Mexican, but since it's vaguely the same latitude, I'd strongly recommend Cubanacan (Miami Cuban), just south of the Burger King on Platte and Union. Don't be put off by the sketchy parking lot. Great food, live music (Sat. PM, anyways.), good Mojitos. Cool crowd. Makes me wish I liked dancing.

Someone already mentioned La Carretta (at Iowa and Kiowa) but it deserves another plug for a family-friendly, very non-chain neighborhood joint.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,998 times
We ate at Pueblo Viejo on North Academy Saturday night. It was very good, and I would go back again and again. Note, however, that I would not characterize Pueblo Viejo as TexMex, so if you are coming from Texas you might have to adjust your taste buds accordingly.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
Whether or not you can get good mexican food near COS depends on what type of mexican food you like:
Sonoran (Baja CA) mexican (maybe)
Mainland (Mexico City) mexican (no)
Yucatan mexican (maybe)
San Diego mexican (no)
LA mexican (yes)
NorCal Mexican (maybe)
Tex-Mex (probably)
New-Mex mex (almost definately)
Chain food mex (YES)
Fast food mex (YES)
Luncheria (Taco Shack) mex (probably, if you don;t mind driving a ways)

My favorite is Sonoran mex which you can get pretty easily in San Diego, but move anyplace north of SD county and you're hard pressed to fins a single burrito that is not stuffed with orange rice as filler. If you don't mind chain mex, Tres Margaritas has a few locations in the COS area and is actually pretty good. I haven't found any real authentic taquerias yet, although I've heard a few rumors. We'll see.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 PM

953 posts, read 741,900 times
I have to agree with a few others: sorry but; Amanda's Fonda is overrated. Whatever regional flavors you search and yearn for, I would recommend (highly) a visit to the tiny establishment on Colorado Ave: El Taco Rey. Family owned; their avocado-pork burrito has garnered national recognition, though my frequent fix is the plain ole, exceptionally tasty, beef and bean burrito. Typically, they get verrry busy at lunch time. I recommend phoning orders in ahead of time, or prepare to stand in a long line. hmmm...on second thought, ignore......

Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 AM

112 posts, read 289,270 times
Alfonso's Mexican Food
1022 S 21st St
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
(719) 575-9289

My girlfriend and I love it there. Good food, good prices, and nice people.

Last edited by JustJamie; 09-30-2008 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: BBC

Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
A lawyer pal (a public prosecutor sort), originally from Los Angeles and of Mexican heritage, took us down to Leonela's Carniceria at 3736 E. Pikes Peak Ave, just a block west of Academy.

The food was excellent and cheap. It's set up as a supermarket with a fast food room on the end. Order food, and pick it up, at the counter. Friendly people. I had the Taco Pastor (spicy pork) and it was really good and I especially liked the Torta Polla (shredded white meat chicken sandwich) as it was tender, moist and VERY nicely seasoned. A full table of condiments, ranging from mild to flaming, is on the side. They have the usual fountain drinks, as well as several Mexican drinks on tap, like Horchata, and a pineapple drink and a berry drink too.

The supermarket was full of Mexican specialties and the butcher counter was amazing, like the big old inner city block-long markets I recall from my childhood in Baltimore. I've never seen most of those cuts of meat, some very think for cooking various Mexican dishes. I think they had tripe 3 or 4 ways. There was a case of pastries and a cooler of soda pops and other drinks that are unique to the culture. Numerous spices. And at last 30 pinata's of all sizes and shapes, including some hilarious looking "spronge bob" types that had my wife giggling.

I'm told the guy started with one small store and kept expanding. Here's a 5-year old review, but one that's still accurate: More Than a Meat Market : Shopping at Carniceria Leonela : Food : Appetite : Colorado Springs Independent : Colorado Springs

One thing that I noted was that everyone in the eatery and in the market was happy and smiling, not like shopping at the big chain markets where people cannot break a smile to save themselves.

Not a sit down joint with table service, but MOST definitely worth a visit.

s/Mike

Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM

252 posts, read 812,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A lawyer pal (a public prosecutor sort), originally from Los Angeles and of Mexican heritage, took us down to Leonela's Carniceria at 3736 E. Pikes Peak Ave, just a block west of Academy.

The food was excellent and cheap. It's set up as a supermarket with a fast food room on the end. Order food, and pick it up, at the counter. Friendly people. I had the Taco Pastor (spicy pork) and it was really good and I especially liked the Torta Polla (shredded white meat chicken sandwich) as it was tender, moist and VERY nicely seasoned. A full table of condiments, ranging from mild to flaming, is on the side. They have the usual fountain drinks, as well as several Mexican drinks on tap, like Horchata, and a pineapple drink and a berry drink too.

The supermarket was full of Mexican specialties and the butcher counter was amazing, like the big old inner city block-long markets I recall from my childhood in Baltimore. I've never seen most of those cuts of meat, some very think for cooking various Mexican dishes. I think they had tripe 3 or 4 ways. There was a case of pastries and a cooler of soda pops and other drinks that are unique to the culture. Numerous spices. And at last 30 pinata's of all sizes and shapes, including some hilarious looking "spronge bob" types that had my wife giggling.

I'm told the guy started with one small store and kept expanding. Here's a 5-year old review, but one that's still accurate: More Than a Meat Market : Shopping at Carniceria Leonela : Food : Appetite : Colorado Springs Independent : Colorado Springs

One thing that I noted was that everyone in the eatery and in the market was happy and smiling, not like shopping at the big chain markets where people cannot break a smile to save themselves.

Not a sit down joint with table service, but MOST definitely worth a visit.

s/Mike
Thanx a bunch Mike. I am also Hispanic and finding good Mexican food in Colorado Springs is a joke. Pueblo and Denver have some good ones, but COS sucks when it comes to "good" Mexican food unless I make it myself. I will definately give Leonela's Carniceria a try.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM

83 posts, read 269,761 times
Sax - be sure to let us know after you visit. I am very interested to hear what you think of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or