U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 08:40 AM

252 posts, read 813,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_lobster! View Post
Sax - be sure to let us know after you visit. I am very interested to hear what you think of it!
Will do
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM

77 posts, read 269,830 times
I don't think I have seen anybody mentioning Carlos Miguels at Cheyenne Mountain Blvd.? Surprising. My hubby is pure Mexican and he likes that place a lot. We've been there now about 3 times and really enjoyed the food. Love to sit outside on their patio area and watch them making us fresh guacamole right there on our table Prices are good too!

@Mike
We just went 3 weeks ago to Leonela's Carniceria. My hubby raved about their breakfast tacos. I stuck with the safe bet and had a egg burrito though

Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM

121 posts, read 391,463 times
Someone may have already mentioned them, but I like Poblano's in Falcon. Their food and service is great.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_lobster! View Post
Sax - be sure to let us know after you visit. I am very interested to hear what you think of it!
I went there for lunch today. I was actually pretty good. I had carne asada and even got some tamales from the store side. Albertacos on HWY 85/87 in Security has very good Mexican fast food as well. But just so you know this is not the kind of Mexican restaurant I was talking about. I was talking about the kind you go in and sit down and have Mexican-American food. Leonela's Carniceria and those kinds of places are "Mexican" Mexican places. I know that sounds silly, but there is a significant difference. I guess I got spoiled as a kid. My family owned and ran a resaurant called La Paloma. It was on Colorado Ave right under the I25 overpass. Now that was some good Mexican food................

Old 10-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Well, Mexican-american is not the real deal. That's like some people here serving me a bratwurst in a hot dog bun and calling that German food My hubby always laughs about places like Taco Bell and all the other ones that serve in his words "psyeudo mexican food", that no one in Mexico would actually really eat

Old 10-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Well, Mexican-american is not the real deal. That's like some people here serving me a bratwurst in a hot dog bun and calling that German food My hubby always laughs about places like Taco Bell and all the other ones that serve in his words "psyeudo mexican food", that no one in Mexico would actually really eat
I hate to tell you this but Mexican-American is VERY real. I was born here, not Mexico. And while a lot of ingredients are similar, the preparation, taste, and dishes can be very different. Another thing you need to know, is that Mexican food prepared here, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, are all very different as well. I'm not talking about Taco Bell, that shouldn't even be considered food. But please, don't disrespect my culture if you know nothing more than what your husband says about it. Is your husband Mexican from Mexico or is he even Hispanic at all? Have you or your husband ever been to Mexico? Do you know what they eat in the different provences there? Probably not. Well I do, so please don't tell me about NOT being the real deal. They eat differently in northern German than they do in Bavaria (southern Germany) so which of them are not the real deal? Are people of German decent born in America any less proud or less German? Would you like for someone to make a statement like you did about your heritage?

Last edited by SaxLuva; 10-02-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 PM

Woho, do you always take things that personal?? I do not know where I disrespeted your culture/heritage because than I would have also disrespected my own since I am German/Hispanic....but ok. For your information, my husband was born in Guanajuato and lived up til 2 years ago all his life in Mexico. So I'd say that makes him a real Mexican, don't you? I've lived with him for over a year in Reynosa, the state of Taumalipas...I've traveled with him to the State of Veracruz and been visiting his family in his home state many times....often eating and trying the local, real deal. It doesn't get more real than that, does it?
My Mother maybe German and I might have grown up most of my life in Germany, BUT my father, his family and my half siblings are as hispanic as it gets..live close by Corpus Christi. I've lived with them for more than a year 4 years ago...so I'd say, I can make myself a pretty good picture about what's Hispanic, what's Mexican and what is German. Hispanic food has nothing to do with it coming from different provences..we are talking about 2 whole different countries here! It's just a fact that certain things they eat here in the hispanic culture and that is sold as mexican food is not known like this in Mexico itself. I myself like many hispanic dishes, so what's the big deal? But as far as I see this whole thread was more about authentic mexican food...sorry for stepping on your feet

Last edited by Pogo; 10-02-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Woho, do you always take things that personal?? I do not know where I disrespeted your culture/heritage because than I would have also disrespected my own since I am German/Hispanic....but ok. For your information, my husband was born in Guanajuato and lived up til 2 years ago all his life in Mexico. So I'd say that makes him a real Mexican, don't you? I've lived with him for over a year in Reynosa, the state of Taumalipas...I've traveled with him to the State of Veracruz and been visiting his family in his home state many times....often eating and trying the local, real deal. It doesn't get more real than that, does it?
My Mother maybe German and I might have grown up most of my life in Germany, BUT my father, his family and my half siblings are as hispanic as it gets..live close by Corpus Christi. I've lived with them for more than a year 4 years ago...so I'd say, I can make myself a pretty good picture about what's Hispanic, what's Mexican and what is German. Hispanic food has nothing to do with it coming from different provences..we are talking about 2 whole different countries here! It's just a fact that certain things they eat here in the hispanic culture and that is sold as mexican food is not known like this in Mexico itself. I myself like many hispanic dishes, so what's the big deal? But as far as I see this whole thread was more about authentic mexican food...sorry for stepping on your feet
Knowing all of that, for you to make a statement like you did, is even worse. And yes, when someone makes a statement that Mexican-American isnt the real thing, I take it personal.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Blessed be...

Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Blessed be...
Pogo, I may have taken what you said out of context and if that's the case I do apologize. In my defense tho, I would like you to understand that much has changed over the years. When I was growing up it wasn't "cool" to be of Mexican decent. Americans shuned us for being Mexican and the Mexican had nothing to do with us because we were American, not "real" Mexicans. So with saying that, us old Mexican Americans some times get touchy on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or