U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM

17,079 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
That's anywhere. People like food that is consitent, cheap, and quick.
Yes, and not to mention FRESH and REAL, and that pre-prepared factory food strikes me as neither, even if it is "safe" to eat.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

30 posts, read 125,373 times
My husband and I lived in New Mexico for a long time and although the food is quite different than Mexican, we really like Arceo's. It's a family-run restaurant in CoS, only 2 in town. We go to the one off of Garden of the Gods Rd. & I-25. They are authentic and their salsa is incredible!! Always great service, never too busy.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM

236 posts, read 197,164 times
the only thing worth paying for is steak!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM

837 posts, read 1,069,664 times
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier......

There is good Mexican food in COS. If I had to pick a favorite I'd have to say the Bean Bandit on Circle Drive. It may not be the fanciest place, but they have great food. reasonable prices, good service and have been in operation in the same location for something like 40 years.

The owner, Marge Vasquez is a genuinely nice lady. She and the rest of the staff there do a great job of making you feel welcome and wanting to come back.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM

371 posts, read 377,579 times
Well, I don't want to read 18 pages about the Mexican food scene here. Aside from my own kitchen, where I make amazing Mexican food (if I do say so myself), has anyone mentioned the pork and avocado tacos at that place downtown on Pikes Peak Ave.? The name escapes me.

But back to my kitchen. If you really love specific ethnic cuisines, it's worth it to learn to make a few dishes you find yourself longing for. I buy fresh masa at Carniceria Leonela (at 3736 East Pikes Peak) to make my own corn tortillas, and it was so worth learning how to make them. Sprinkled with the fresh queso fresco cheese you can buy there in bulk, they're delicious.

But the other reason I mention them, is that they also have a little restuarant too. Now, I haven't tried it yet (because, as I said, I like my own cooking), but have heard good things about it. I just found this, too - so maybe you all want to check this place out:

Good Mexican Eats at Carniceria Leonela - YouTube

Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM

54 posts, read 66,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
But back to my kitchen. If you really love specific ethnic cuisines, it's worth it to learn to make a few dishes you find yourself longing for. I buy fresh masa at Carniceria Leonela (at 3736 East Pikes Peak) to make my own corn tortillas, and it was so worth learning how to make them. Sprinkled with the fresh queso fresco cheese you can buy there in bulk, they're delicious.

But the other reason I mention them, is that they also have a little restuarant too. Now, I haven't tried it yet (because, as I said, I like my own cooking), but have heard good things about it. I just found this, too - so maybe you all want to check this place out:

i like the grocery side as they have a butcher and pretty good fresh vegetables. i ate there once, and i thought it was meh.

the best mexican i have had here is la perla tapatia, but have not tried the new location as it moved to academy from w. 30th. it still does not compare or come close to mexican i've had in denver or tucson, az. if you are looking for a delicious treat, head up and try las tortugas in denver for a torta. they have multiple locations as well. i've also heard really good things about tacos rapidos in denver and la toluca up in westminister.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM

496 posts, read 884,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
...has anyone mentioned the pork and avocado tacos at that place downtown on Pikes Peak Ave.? The name escapes me.
El Taco Rey?

It's tiny, but pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo98
the best mexican i have had here is la perla tapatia, but have not tried the new location as it moved to academy
I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it yet (and the new Academy and Flintridge location is VERY close to Casa Maynerd). They don't yet have a liquor license at the new location. I've been waiting until I can enjoy a Margarita with dinner.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM

17,079 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Ditto what Maynerd said about El Taco Rey, went there a few years ago and found it very good. Tiny place, nice people.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM

371 posts, read 377,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
El Taco Rey?

It's tiny, but pretty good.

I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it yet (and the new Academy and Flintridge location is VERY close to Casa Maynerd). They don't yet have a liquor license at the new location. I've been waiting until I can enjoy a Margarita with dinner.
That's the one.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,519,144 times
I second Arceo's, can't beat the $6.00 lunch menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs