U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:54 AM

657 posts, read 343,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
Still on a quest for decent TexMex style Mexican food. Jose Muldoon's comes close, but....
What is TexMex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 AM

420 posts, read 1,011,533 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex

What's the Difference Between Tex-Mex and Mexican Food? | Serious Eats

Tracing the History of Tex-Mex - Hungry History

Food Timeline--Mexican and TexMex food history

Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 AM

49 posts, read 32,478 times
Recently moved here from Tex-Mex land and have yet to find anything even close after searching far and wide. It is the one thing we miss. I am trying to duplicate at home but even cooking a pot of pinto beans is a challenge with the altitude. The food scene here could sure use some stirring up.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:20 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
I think Lucha Cantina downtown was known for Tex-Mex but I think it closed last year around this time.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 472 times
El Taco Rey, I get the pork and avocado burritos smothered in green chile. It's one of the best places for authentic Mexican food. In my opinion . Also try there tres leches "three milks" cake absolutely amazing. It's downtown on Colorado and Wasatch.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 PM

928 posts, read 1,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper johnson View Post
Recently moved here from Tex-Mex land and have yet to find anything even close after searching far and wide. It is the one thing we miss. I am trying to duplicate at home but even cooking a pot of pinto beans is a challenge with the altitude. The food scene here could sure use some stirring up.
Buy your pinto beans in bulk at a health food store (they'll be "fresher"). I'm sure you know to soak them overnight, or use the quick-soak method. Do not add salt to the water until over half-way into the cooking, as salt toughens the protein, taking it longer to get the beans soft.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:54 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,677,913 times
Well, when Taco Bell and Taco Bueno show up in the top ten of online reviews of Tex Mex in a city, I'd say we have some improvements to make.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM

49 posts, read 32,478 times
Quote:
pinto beans
I learned that adding the tiniest pinch of baking soda to either the soak or the cooking part speeds things up a bit when cooking beans here. That along with some cumin, onion, garlic gets it done. Smoked bacon or ham hock when not vegetarian. Also started making our own salsa every week as the green chili takes some getting used to. If only I could find some tortillas here that weren't loaded with "stuff" to make them shelf steady - not willing to make my own tortillas just yet.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:07 AM

58 posts, read 45,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper johnson View Post
I learned that adding the tiniest pinch of baking soda to either the soak or the cooking part speeds things up a bit when cooking beans here. That along with some cumin, onion, garlic gets it done. Smoked bacon or ham hock when not vegetarian. Also started making our own salsa every week as the green chili takes some getting used to. If only I could find some tortillas here that weren't loaded with "stuff" to make them shelf steady - not willing to make my own tortillas just yet.

I know King Soopers has some uncooked corn tortillas, pretty sure they are free of preservatives and other junk, and pretty good, too. They are kept refrigerated where you would find some special diet items, like kosher and some gluten free. I know in the Centennial location they are just to the right of the eggs.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:28 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksutcliffe View Post
El Taco Rey, I get the pork and avocado burritos smothered in green chile. It's one of the best places for authentic Mexican food. In my opinion . Also try there tres leches "three milks" cake absolutely amazing. It's downtown on Colorado and Wasatch.
Second the El Taco Rey suggestion, though it may be more "Southern Colorado / Northern New Mexico" than anything resembling "Tex-Mex." Having never been to Texas other than driving through one time, I can't say I'm especially familiar with "Tex-Mex."

The pork-avocado at El Taco Rey is their famous award-winner dish but I personally prefer their chile-relleno burrito, also smothered in green chile. It's utterly amazing.

Also, given the lack of seating at El Taco Rey (part of it's charm), I'd also suggest Salsa Latina, a restaurant owned by different folks in the same family located 6-8 blocks away. More seating and the food is just as good, though not quite as locally "famous."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or