Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM

7 posts, read 28,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
wow some great posts here at the end, thanks all!! there is racism everywhere and not just from Conservative whites, but in leftist Boulder as well. been treated pretty nastily by so called liberals there when i was there visiting last week to scope out a possible move to CS or front rage area. the sneers adn stares there i saw quite a bit , and not many in CS.
If the entire nation results in the same attitudes seeping from Boulder, we will have to find a place where diversity is not forced on you, but naturally accepted.

I am white, my wife is Latina, our kids are gorgeous milagro. When we moved to CS 15 yrs ago, I did notice a few isolated instances of vague intolerance toward my wife, mainly because of her Portugese accent. Rare, but not of any consequence.

My children have never reported racism directed at them because of their mix. It all depends on the individuals and how they perceive themselves and others. Racists come in all colors and live everywhere. Though there aren't many racial hostiles in CS, we avoid those few and live a nice peaceful life.

The people of Colorado Springs are mostly open, honest and friendly, regardless of color. More so than most towns we have lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM

54 posts, read 145,695 times
Ok, I'm a real estate agent and I've never had biracial couples request certain areas that may be more accepting to biracial. If they were to ask me, I would tell them that they will be accepted where ever they move, that we do not discriminate. That there is not one area of town more accepting or more concentrated of biracial. We really do have a great town and being a military town, we have always had all walks of diversity. Just move to a part of town that is convenient for your lifestyle and your price range and you will be fine. By the way, my two immediate sets of neighbors in a smaller northeast neighborhood do not experience any troubles. Their kids are very athletic and popular and seem to not have any troubles in school. Good luck finding home in Springs.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 PM

38 posts, read 111,971 times
My kids are half white (their father is white) and I am South american (honey color) but my son is dark, like my father. Is this going to be a problem? I would like to hear your input, he is already discriminated here in Texas by Mexicans, that assume he is Mexican.

thanks,

Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,150,615 times
It sounds like all these folks of mixed racial descent are far more concerned about their own color than any of the white folks I know would be. Just pick a decent home in a decent neighborhood (whatever that means to YOU) and stop fretting about what you THINK the white folks (or any other ethnicity) might do to you for moving in... which will highly likely be = nothing as long as you treat the people with respect and dignity.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 AM

77 posts, read 350,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
It sounds like all these folks of mixed racial descent are far more concerned about their own color than any of the white folks I know would be. Just pick a decent home in a decent neighborhood (whatever that means to YOU) and stop fretting about what you THINK the white folks (or any other ethnicity) might do to you for moving in... which will highly likely be = nothing as long as you treat the people with respect and dignity.
I dont think the posters on here including myself are more concerned about their own color. I think many of them are speaking from personal experience. I know I am. My husband was born and raised in SE DC. When we go to visit its a risky situation. People act differently every where you go and most of us are just trying to prepare ourselves for what to expect in COS. In DC people black, white, mexican, etc.....can be very violent toward you. It dont matter if you're a child or an adult. In SE they dont like anyone to date outside their race and really hate to see you with bi racial children. I have experienced first hand how blunt people can be with their racism and this wasnt coming from just one race. My child has experienced racism with the children here in NY and that didnt come from just one race or another. So to say that we are more worried about this is wrong. We have every right to be worried and prepare ourselves. If the people in COS and the out lining areas are as friendly and as welcoming to bi racial families, thats wonderfull. But no matter where you go there will always be at least one person/family/group that is has racism toward someone or something and they dont care how they show it as long as they get their point across. Just because you may know hundreds of people that are not racist doesnt mean the ones you dont know arent. Nobody can speak for everybody that walks this earth. We are just trying to get a general perception on racism and what kind of racist acts take place if any do. Im over joyed that mostly everyone seems to not notice any racism happening around the Springs but then there are a few that do so yes it is out there just like any other city or military installation. I know I have installed proper ways to handle racism in my child so he can be prepared if it does happen to us again. It hurts more than just someones ego. It goes deep to your soul when some one calls you names and throws rocks at you and your family because the ones you love are a different color than you.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,150,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplmr View Post
But no matter where you go there will always be at least one person/family/group that is has racism toward someone or something and they dont care how they show it as long as they get their point across. Just because you may know hundreds of people that are not racist doesnt mean the ones you dont know arent.
You yourself say... there will always be a few blatantly racist people everywhere you go, but you won't know them until you meet them. So why worry so much about those few when you could focus more on the fact that there are many more who will treat you just fine.

I too was raised for part of my childhood in DC and I too was a victim of racism there. And I am a white male, so that shows me that racism is not limited from any one race to another, mixed or not.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Default People do care

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
. You are wrong when you say NO ONE CARES.

I would say move to a neighborhood that feels right for you. As a spouse in a biracial relationship, we actively look for diverse neighborhoods when we moved to Denver, and again when we moved back to Colorado Springs. For children, being the odd kid out on appearance is much different than being odd kid out based on personality.
I was raised here in the Springs. I think/believe the racism although it exists everywhere is relatively low here unless you are Hispanic. I hear more racial slurs for Hispanic people than anything else, as it is currently the topic of discussion when speaking of migrant workers.
I agree with some previous posters, the closer to the military, the more accepted you will be. The closer to old money or nouveau rich, the less tolerant views we have experienced. Again this is my perception and very cognizant view I have of it all.
With this being said, it’s all manageable here. I find more extreme view base on religion than color…
Being the pepper in the salt shaker her, is nowhere near as bad when I lived in Mississippi in the early 90s.
My 2¢

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 AM

565 posts, read 1,840,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHome View Post
... For children, being the odd kid out on appearance is much different than being odd kid out based on personality.
I think that is the most likely the primary concern of many of the posters asking the question about racism and having kids. It is probably the primary form of discrimination you will find in Colorado Springs. Kids will single out other kids that are different be it race, personality, etc... A good parent should teach their kids to be accepting of those different from themselves before the kids act on their own and have to ask afterwards.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:56 AM

26 posts, read 89,373 times
Default Where *would* you feel comfortable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
There is a Black American family in the White house now.
That is *truly* debatable, and to those of us in the know, blatantly untrue. Questionable citizenship and questionably black, according to those CONFIRMED Black Americans who care. Check out Pastor James David Manning of atlahworldwide on YouTube if you care to know more.

That being said to this quote, because Ayn Rand won't let me rest on you getting away w/ something so blatant, the real question is: Where *would* you (the original questioner) feel comfortable? Obviously you have an issue w/ this, and until you get over it, it's going to be an issue, no matter where you live.

Colorado Springs is a great place!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
I am a white female with a blck husband and biracial children. We moved here in 2003 with the military and we were surprised! We did not have people gaulking at us or giving us dirty looks to demonstrate their disapproval. We are originally from Detroit, MI (statisticly known as the highest segregation place in the U.S.), so living here has been comfortable. Another reason why we like it so much is because there is not only blacks and whites, there are all kinds of people (Mexicans, Germans, Koreans, etc.) There is a variety of people, so our kids will know that there is more to the world than just black and white. I do not know why people are saying to move to Denver. It is more diverse, but it is not a place for us to raise our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs