Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM

36 posts, read 124,996 times

Advertisements

Im moving to CO springs when i graduate
i was wondering the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM

55 posts, read 177,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmj9 View Post
I am a white female with a blck husband and biracial children. We moved here in 2003 with the military and we were surprised! We did not have people gaulking at us or giving us dirty looks to demonstrate their disapproval. We are originally from Detroit, MI (statisticly known as the highest segregation place in the U.S.), so living here has been comfortable. Another reason why we like it so much is because there is not only blacks and whites, there are all kinds of people (Mexicans, Germans, Koreans, etc.) There is a variety of people, so our kids will know that there is more to the world than just black and white. I do not know why people are saying to move to Denver. It is more diverse, but it is not a place for us to raise our children.
Seems like you have experienced something similar and I really value your input. Thanks!

I understand why some people don't understand why this is such a big issue for some families, mine included. From some of the posts on here, I can tell some have not had this particular experience. If you haven't experienced racism directed towards yourself, it is really hard to know what it feels like. I wouldn't change or take back any experiences I have gone through because I believe it has made me see things and people from a lot of different perspectives. But at this point in life, I feel I have gone through enough experiences dealing with this issue; at this point, we want to feel comfortable walking out the front door of our home. Be able to take a day out (whether it be hiking, out for ice cream, shopping, etc) and not grap a lot of people's attention. Have our daughter go to a school where her appearance isn't an issue.

My family, in particular, isn't moving a few hours away. We'd be moving from the East Coast all the way out West. Of course we want to get the insight of people who have experienced COS firsthand. Visiting won't answer enough questions. I have always wanted to end up in COS. I have so many good memories as a child there. There are so many things to do. I am somewhat familiar with the general areas. We do not want to end up in Denver. I have been there a few times, and do not believe it is the better of the two places to raise kids.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
Of course we want to get the insight of people who have experienced COS firsthand. Visiting won't answer enough questions.
I think the original questions about bigotry in COS have already been answered, even beaten to death, on this thread.

Let me summarize...

Yes, there is some ugly racism present in COS, since the area is made up of many different people.

No, racism here is not ubiquitous and it is very doubtful that you or your children would ever be SPECIFICALLY targeted by any known groups or individuals as a person of any particular race or mixed races.

If that information is not clear enough, perhaps it's time to start a new thread with more specific questions. This one is getting stale.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,881,310 times
Thanks Pamela and suz for that, it is more than helpful. for interracial and multiracial families moving from back east out west, we dont always know what to look for. My brother and sister in laws in California are interracial and their kids are biracial and they do get stares in liberal bay area, and it happens back here in Philadelphia Pa, where a cross was burned 2 years ago in an interracial families yard in the city. so, if we sound ignorant of the racism or non racism in Colorado, its because many of us have experienced it elsewhere.
having grown up in a military family on bases, i didnt experience the racism i did when we moved into civilian places and when i went away to college and grew up

COS sounds ideal then

Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
Default How about Manitou's mayor

The mayor of Manitou Springs - just to the west of Colo Spgs - is black, and his wife is white. I don't think you'll encounter any problems being a mixed race couple in Colo Spgs.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM

55 posts, read 177,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaSellsHomes View Post
Ok, I'm a real estate agent and I've never had biracial couples request certain areas that may be more accepting to biracial. If they were to ask me, I would tell them that they will be accepted where ever they move, that we do not discriminate. That there is not one area of town more accepting or more concentrated of biracial. We really do have a great town and being a military town, we have always had all walks of diversity. Just move to a part of town that is convenient for your lifestyle and your price range and you will be fine. By the way, my two immediate sets of neighbors in a smaller northeast neighborhood do not experience any troubles. Their kids are very athletic and popular and seem to not have any troubles in school. Good luck finding home in Springs.
That's because as a real estate agent you cannot make race an issue or you will have a lawsuit on your hands. Even if a person asked for a "white" or "black" neighborhood, you have to show them all neighborhoods and can't say "no, you won't like it here because it is all ________ people". I know because I was one step away from getting my license but opted out and moved instead. That's why I would never consult w/ a real estate agent to get the real answer on where to go (sorry) but more on this thread. People here are more likely to tell you how it is. After buying 5 different houses, a few in areas I didn't know, I find this to be very true.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Hi I am Indian(from India) and planning on relocating to CO with my white American husband. Anyone who would advise us not to make this move? Louiseville was rated as the best place to live in considering schools, economy, housing etc on Money magazine, so we are considering this... would value suggestions and opinions. Are are other Indians at all? Thank you...

Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM

26,121 posts, read 48,732,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinteacher View Post
Hi I am Indian(from India) and planning on relocating to CO with my white American husband. Anyone who would advise us not to make this move? Louiseville was rated as the best place to live in considering schools, economy, housing etc on Money magazine, so we are considering this... would value suggestions and opinions. Are are other Indians at all? Thank you...
You'll be fine. There are a few Indians here in COLO SPGS, more in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM

6,801 posts, read 10,432,510 times
The Indian community is smaller here but I've seen some cultural activities like Indian dancing schools, etc., here. Indian food is scarce here. Denver has a much larger and more diverse Indian community, and food shopping would be much easier there. But either place I think you'll potentially enjoy.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The Indian community is smaller here but I've seen some cultural activities like Indian dancing schools, etc., here. Indian food is scarce here. Denver has a much larger and more diverse Indian community, and food shopping would be much easier there. But either place I think you'll potentially enjoy.
There's a good Indian market somewhere in COS, but I can't recall the address off hand. We go there to get marsala ingredients and raw naan dough.... SO GOOD. When I find the address I'll post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs