Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 PM

121 posts, read 450,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
oh my, some crime did happen downtown! lol, you are kidding me right? 3 weeks ago? do you know how many people are downtown at night at one time? this is the only thing that happened in 3 weeks? ohhhhhhhhhhh man I am going to have to move now because crime is getting crazy downtown!
it's it a NO, NO, to leave your car unattended and running? and at 2:20 am? he should have just left the keys in the door of the car. this is high crime too you?
remember I respect your opinion to raise kids in the suburbs now respect mine to think that you can't judge something if you don't experience it first hand. you can have your opinion about it but don't put it on people.
so where do you live at and I will try and find some dirt too? just joking, you have to understand how many people are downtown at once compared to how many people are where you live. and maybe the guy who stole the car lives in your area was trying to get a ride home. if he lived downtown then he wouldn't need a ride. lol
You said "crime isn't an issue" anymore . . . so I gave you a recent example of a drunk driver (who happened to steal the car) in a high speed pursuit (which is the reason it's in the Police Blotter) running red lights near your neighborhood. It doesn't matter where he's from . . . the fact is the crime occurred downtown and put lives in danger downtown.

The police blotter is loaded with downtown and near downtown incidents . . . and they don't incorporate drunk driving into there unless something additional besides DUI occurs.

And you proved exactly my point . . . there are more people downtown, and more bars downtown, which in turn is going to lead to more incidents. If you like your location and if higher crime isn't an issue TO YOU then downtown is a good place for you to be. The police blotter and crime map aren't opinions . . . I'm just giving the facts.

I live in Falcon (Meridian Ranch) . . . I'd love to hear the dirt. In my quiet town there has to be some, but I doubt you'll find much. Our high speed pursuits are on horseback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM

454 posts, read 1,218,461 times
oh yeah thanks for the maps it look like alot of areas are as bad off as downtown. so did I read them wrong to see that there is alot of crime in the Sand Creek district? because a crime happens somewhere doesn't mean it is a BAD area. you know what is a crime IMO, it is peoples HOA police wasting someones time with B.S. all I ask of you is that if you give a opinion then give one that you have experienced not one you have read about online(oh and I read about the HOA police online). and if you are providing facts make sure they are completely correct because those maps showed crime ever where across this city as being high, mainly in the south central area. thank you for your time and consideration to bicker with me on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by love colo summers View Post
You said "crime isn't an issue" anymore . . . so I gave you a recent example of a drunk driver (who happened to steal the car) in a high speed pursuit (which is the reason it's in the Police Blotter) running red lights near your neighborhood. It doesn't matter where he's from . . . the fact is the crime occurred downtown and put lives in danger downtown.

The police blotter is loaded with downtown and near downtown incidents . . . and they don't incorporate drunk driving into there unless something additional besides DUI occurs.

And you proved exactly my point . . . there are more people downtown, and more bars downtown, which in turn is going to lead to more incidents. If you like your location and if higher crime isn't an issue TO YOU then downtown is a good place for you to be. The police blotter and crime map aren't opinions . . . I'm just giving the facts.

I live in Falcon (Meridian Ranch) . . . I'd love to hear the dirt. In my quiet town there has to be some, but I doubt you'll find much. Our high speed pursuits are on horseback!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 PM

140 posts, read 438,846 times
I would rather live in an area that is percieved as having a lot of crime because the densities are greater than live in a suburban nightmare where when crime happens, no one is around to hear or see it... I have lived in suburbia and bought there for a lot of the same arguments that the suburbanites on this forum like to talk about. "Good schools" and "low crime". The good schools are because of a couple of reasons. 1. They teach to the tests that make them "good schools".
2. Homebuyers with a choice (that have money) are drawn to the "American Dream" in the 'burbs. Or if they are wealthy enough they choose the established wealthy neighborhoods in town (i.e. Broadmoor Area and North End).

IMO, the most desired area of town is the North End where you have great neighborhoods, conveniances, diversity (which is just as important as "good schools" for raising children) and good schools in D-11.

Spring Creek can't offer all of this, but my family wanted a new home and this was the best option for a new home in order to achieve our other goals. If I had the choice to buy a house for the same cost/ same size in Wolf Ranch or Spring Creek, I would choose Spring Creek everytime even if you offered me an extra $1000/ month the conveniances alone are worth it.

To the poster questioning me on the crime/ schools in Spring Creek. No, I cannot say that it is "safer" in Spring Creek than the outer reaches of the City, nor can I say that the schools are better, but the location more than makes up for it...

Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 AM

565 posts, read 1,840,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
hey buddy thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated. I will study up on the english language before I post again. sorry to disappoint you.
Hey, I use alternative words on porpoise sometimes! <- eek, eek

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,878,592 times
what happened to the OP and the post, doesnt seem to be about Interracial families finding safety in CS.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,150,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
what happened to the OP and the post, doesnt seem to be about Interracial families finding safety in CS.
I dunno - maybe he decided to move to DC instead...

Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM

55 posts, read 177,143 times
Thanks for everyone's input! Even though it got a little off track, all opinions have been appreciated. It's kinda ironic Philly was compared to Colorado (even though I didn't post this, it is where we currently reside! And yes, crime is horrible. The 6th cop in 16 months was just murdered this weekend...very sad).

I had visited Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek every year as a child. I lived in Durango for a few years. I've moved all around and lived in different parts of the U.S. (west, midwest, northeast, and south). However, I always come back to how nice it would be to live in Colorado Springs. Because I want to make live as easy as it can be for us, in our situation, I am a little hesitant. However, it seems like the people of Colorado Springs are fairly open minded to interracial couples and biracial children.

AS FAR AS WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN: An area that accepts diversity well, close to conveniences, not too high on crime (yes, we know crime happens living in/around a city), and a decent school district. Teaching shouldn't be put solely on the teachers at school, but it also should be done at home. What area, and what price range should we be looking at?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM

140 posts, read 438,846 times
Coming from Philadelphia, any school district in Colorado Springs is going to exceed your expectations. Especially if you are in the mindset like me that a lot of kids' education is vital to their home life...

Since I don't want to re-read all of these posts (laziness, i guess), were you looking for something new or older and established? I'll give you my feedback, but inevitably it will be contrary to all of the suburbanites on this site.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
We are planning to move to Colorado Springs in the near future. I just wanted to see how the views on mixed couples (black and white) with biracial children are. Also, what parts of Colorado Springs would we feel the most comfortable in (less racial issues as possible)? What is the housing prices in those areas? What elementary schools are good? How do you think the economy currently is in CO Springs? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm83 View Post
AS FAR AS WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN: An area that accepts diversity well, close to conveniences, not too high on crime (yes, we know crime happens living in/around a city), and a decent school district. Teaching shouldn't be put solely on the teachers at school, but it also should be done at home. What area, and what price range should we be looking at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Mixed couple/children are all over the city, wealthy and poor neighborhoods. Additonally, there are mixed couples of other races too. Housing prices vary all over. Lots of other threads about school districts. We have a good public education system and great schools all over. Districts use the same curricula and teachers move from one district to another freely so you will get the same type of teacher all over. The difference lies in the student body. What type of socio-economic population do your child surrounded by? The following districts are rated based off of socio-economics and most could easily tie with another (more wealth down to more poverty):
1. D12
2. D20
3. D38
4. D49
5. D11
6. D14
7. D8
8. D3
9. D2 (this districts borders D12 so there is some wealth in it too)

And obviously housing will vary depending on which district you live in. I would venture to say that generally speaking, middle class is D49-D3. There are always exceptions to that on either side.

Mixed couples are well accepted here. My favorite area is Briargate; look in the index for the Zip 80920 photo tour of Briargate, then look in index under Schools for key threads. Excellent homes are in this zip for $250K. Prices may yet fall further. Many rent for 6-12 months to sort out all the details of where they want to be. Froggin gives good advice on schools. You'll be fine here.

s/Mike

Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 PM

10 posts, read 28,110 times
Hey just wanted to put my two cents in born in Colorado an we don't see color the people are great in Colorado it is like a melting pot born FortCollins alot of military an I had friends that were byracial,germain,spanish,indian there is no color in colorado,stay away from the southern parts, I miss home,I am in Ky. an they make sure to divide there lights an darks,but if your a byracial couple you are heading in the right direction the people in Colorado are great to every race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs