Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 AM

77 posts, read 305,417 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find Borax (A hydrated sodium borate) to make my own laundry detergent and I just can't find it. I've looked at Target, Whole foods, Walgreens and Walmart.

Does anyone know where I could maybe find it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I've been trying to find Borax (A hydrated sodium borate) to make my own laundry detergent and I just can't find it. I've looked at Target, Whole foods, Walgreens and Walmart.

I was in Walmart in Westminster at 72nd and Sheridan, yesterday, and It was there--It was on the bottom shelf next to the store brand non-chlorine bleach. I remember it because I was thinking who buys this stuff today ; it started me thinking of that old TV show Death Valley Days, which was sponsored by "20 Mule Team Borax". Yea, maybe that is before your time but the product was always in my house when I was a kid.

Let see, if I can find one of those old episodes of the great show on the internet. Come to think of it--let me look up the product, ah, here it is 20 Mule Team - Product Details (http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/index.cfm?page_id=56 - broken link) call them and see where it is sold, easy as that.

Livecontent

Old 02-08-2009, 07:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I've found it a King Soopers. Washing soda might be a little harder to find, but a query at the Arm & Hammer website should give you a local source.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Yep, on the website, it is listed as sold to King Soopers, Albertson's and Kmart
and I found an episode of the show, I am happy fellow

Internet Archive Search: mediatype:movies AND subject:"Death Valley Days"

Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

My wife has made laundry detergent for a while, from a YouTube recipe. The formula calls for certain amounts of Borax Natural Laundry Booster, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda) plus some grated Fels Naptha. We special ordered the Fels from King Sooper and it took 2-3 weeks to get in 4 bars. The other two ingredients are on the shelf of our local King Soopers, Albertsons or WalMart.

Making it herself costs 1/10 the amount of things like Tide HE.

Do not mistake the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda for the look-alike Arm & Hammer laundry detergent or baking soda; they look alike. If you cannot find Fels Naptha bar soap, you can use any bath soap, but it works better with Fels or plain laundry soap from a natural grocer.

Search YouTube for "Laundry Detergent Making" and here are some links to various vids:
-
YouTube - Making Homemade Laundry Detergent
-
YouTube - How to Make Homemade Laundry Detergent

It's not hard to do. We make 3 gallons at a time, so be sure to save up some gallon jugs before you start, and if there are kids in the home, mark over whatever labels are on the jugs so that kids don't think its a drink.

Yes, I recall watching Death Valley Days on TV many years ago; the host was some kid named Reagan.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-08-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I've used Dr. Bronner's (rather than Fels Naptha) with good success. I understand even regular Ivory soap bars will work.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM

77 posts, read 305,417 times
Thank you guys so much! I finally did find Borax yesterday at k-mart. Unfortunately i did make the mistake of getting the Arm and Hammer detergent rather than the washing soda, i think. When it comes to the soap we use a Mexican laundry soap called Zote, that is available here. paid only 0.69 cents for a big bar.

Anyways, my first 2 loads with home made detergent came out great yesterday. Now I will try to get the real washing soda

Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
You can find borax in the Mojave Desert, near Boron, CA. Also in other locations in the Southwestern US, the Atacama desert in Chile, and in Turkey and Tibet.

If you're looking for the commercially produced brand-name cleanser, Boraxo, I believe they have it at walmart in Monument, CO.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
There ya go, Tree! And it's very close to the eastern gate of the Edward's Airforce Base and a NASA Flight Research installation where we installed an ESD flooring system. While we were on the base, I took this little photo;

That little town of Boron wasn't quite the mecca of culture when we drove by it. But what would you expect smack dab in the middle of the Mojave Desert?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
LOL... I know, I know, I've been there too. The only 'culture' out there happens at least 30k feet overhead. Didn't see any borax either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs