Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM

18 posts, read 75,068 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Colorado Springs and we have heard that it has a large conservative base. We were just wondering if this is considered positive/ negative or other wise to the people who live there. Would love any thoughts on this, thank you!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui no ka oi View Post
My husband and I are moving to Colorado Springs and we have heard that it has a large conservative base. We were just wondering if this is considered positive/ negative or other wise to the people who live there. Would love any thoughts on this, thank you!
Short version: No one here is going to bother you about religion, either for or against. The area votes along more conservative lines, to be expected with a lot of military folks here; all the ones we know are superb people.

It's a positive for those seeking like-minded folks. We have all religions represented here; all the mainstream ones are here in spades. The city has a number of faith-based organizations that are HQ'd here, giving the city an image as being a hotbed of religious fervor, which really isn't the case. There is a lot more religious fervor in the southeast USA and some parts of KS, OK, TX then there is here. To a large extent, the outsider's view of our city as a sort of mecca for religious zealots is undeserved, i.e., some of the organizations here may be over the top, but the bulk of their following are all over the country. We had more religious types knocking on our doors back in the DC suburbs of Fairfax County than we do here. People of faith here seem to be good examples of living their faith, without being over the top about it. No one gets dragged out of their cars and forcibly baptized in some ice-cold roadside creek.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks Mike, great insight! and love your last sentence...very funny

Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui no ka oi View Post
Thanks Mike, great insight! and love your last sentence...very funny
You're most welcome. I've used several variations of that last line to put our city's wacky reputation into proper perspective. It's all good here.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Not sure what you are talking about Colorado Springs has focus on the family headquartered there and James Dobson does a national radio program from the city. That helps make the Springs known as the "Bible belt" of the west. That is not a bad thing if that is what you are looking for and like in a city but to say it is not very Christian is miss leading.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not sure what you are talking about Colorado Springs has focus on the family headquartered there and James Dobson does a national radio program from the city. That helps make the Springs known as the "Bible belt" of the west. That is not a bad thing if that is what you are looking for and like in a city but to say it is not very Christian is miss leading.
FOTF has its HQ here, but the vast majority of its fans are all over the country. Religion is alive and well here, as in all cities, but there are no tent revivals in the town square. The reputation of this city has been blown way out of proportion. People here, regardless of faith, or lack of it, behave properly. Nor did I say or imply that COLO SPGS is "not very Christian."

Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
... People here, regardless of faith, or lack of it, behave properly...
Except for possibly Ted Haggard (in denial) - but his congregation kicked him out!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Except for possibly Ted Haggard - but his congregation kicked him out!
Yet he keeps coming back....

Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
I couldn't have said it any better than Mike. I think in all actuality, there are more vocal anti-religion people here than the other way around. those who gripe about religion tend to make something bigger than it ought to be.

Bottom line, regardless of your religious beleifs, or lack of a specific faith, you'll fit in well here.

Just in my neighborhood we have people from so many various religious and political beliefs and it's never been a problem. We all know where we stand, we respect our neighbors, and don't let religion or politics take away from our neighborhood. The diversity actually adds to the neighborhood...something that we all enjoy.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your input, I really enjoyed reading and getting an idea about how people feel.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: