Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 44,852 times

Advertisements

After months of planning we are finally about to make our move to COS. We (just the wife and I, and over 50) have been looking at houses online and taking careful notes from this forum.

Based on forum advice we are looking between Woodman and the northern part of the county. Budget is $200,000 to $300,000.

Now we are about to see houses in person. There will be a good Realtor involved but that only gives us one persons’ opinion.

So our question is:

What do you like or dislike about houses in COS. What aspect or feature is valuable or important and which features can we do without or may not be as valuable as sometimes presented?

Here are some items already on our list.

A south facing driveway will minimize the number of times and amount of snow we have to shovel. (really?)

Zoned heat and air (two units) so you don’t have to heat the basement if you seldom use it. (any other tips on heat and air systems?)

What about those “free standing” or multi-sided fireplaces? Useful or a gimmick?

Sprinkler systems?

Sump pumps?

How important is a three car garage vs. a two car?

Does the exterior material of the house, Hardi-Plank, Stucco (EFIS), stone or brick make much of a difference in maintenance or energy use.

Whole house humidifier. Since it is just the two of us can we get by with a “room” unit? If a house has a whole house humidifier, how much of the year do you have to run it?

Is a “rancher” with the master bedroom and another bedroom or study on the main floor worth the extra money when it is time to resell?

How important is it that the HOA provide any particular service like snow removal?

Vinyl windows vs. aluminum frame or other?

Is there a good or bad location for the water heater?

It would seem to be cheaper to buy a basement already finished than having to pay to have it finished?

Other must have’s?

Thanks,

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:26 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave101 View Post
After months of planning we are finally about to make our move to COS. We (just the wife and I, and over 50) have been looking at houses online and taking careful notes from this forum.

Based on forum advice we are looking between Woodman and the northern part of the county. Budget is $200,000 to $300,000.
A: You'll do fine with that amount.

Now we are about to see houses in person. There will be a good Realtor involved but that only gives us one persons’ opinion.
A: Good move. Consider running by us here in the forums whatever the realtor suggests in the way of sub-divs or areas.

So our question is:

What do you like or dislike about houses in COS. What aspect or feature is valuable or important and which features can we do without or may not be as valuable as sometimes presented?
A: If a property faces Pikes Peak, either front or rear of house, be sure to have a place to sit and enjoy the view.

A south facing driveway will minimize the number of times and amount of snow we have to shovel. (really?)
A: Always smart. It's true. Our house faces south, we let it melt out most days.

Zoned heat and air (two units) so you don’t have to heat the basement if you seldom use it. (any other tips on heat and air systems?)
A: We have two systems, the basement one rarely runs. We only have A/C for the main level unit. A/C is worth having.

What about those “free standing” or multi-sided fireplaces? Useful or a gimmick?
A: Okay with me, depends on what a person wants. I wouldn't want one that has a family room on one side and my BR on the other. I've seen them btw the master bath tub on one wall and the master BR on the other, useful only if you take long baths in cold weather. But they look nice in the model homes.

Sprinkler systems?
A: Everyone seems to have one if they have grass. The less grass you have the better. Water rates went up 40% this year.

Sump pumps?
A: You can get a portable pump for $100 or so and use it as needed. More important is to take a hard eye at the slope of your lot to be sure it goes away from the house. Also look to see if adjoining yards drain downhill to yours. Best is to be uphill of others or be on flat land all around. We have a french drain with an external sump, and we have french drains along the perimeter to move rain water away from the house. The issue with water is the expansive soils we have here. When they get wet they can expand greatly and wreck a slab and/or foundation. The culprit in the soil is Bentonite, search on the term for full threads on the stuff.

A: I like the 3, it means I don't need one of those uggo lawn sheds for all the gizmo's and stuff. If the 'hood has an HOA that requires cars be off the street, a 3 is a decent thing to have, not an absolute, since most 'hoods let you park in your driveway but not the street.

Does the exterior material of the house, Hardi-Plank, Stucco (EFIS), stone or brick make much of a difference in maintenance or energy use.
A: I doubt if it makes much of a difference in energy use. If it's a surface that needs painting it will cost you something eventually.

Whole house humidifier. Since it is just the two of us can we get by with a “room” unit? If a house has a whole house humidifier, how much of the year do you have to run it?
A: Get a whole house unit. They can be added to most any forced air heat system. Ours runs all during heating season.

Is a “rancher” with the master bedroom and another bedroom or study on the main floor worth the extra money when it is time to resell?
A: Some people think so, seems it would depend on the buyer. Older folks like not having to climb stairs and our population is aging.

How important is it that the HOA provide any particular service like snow removal?
A: Not a lot.

A: Vinyl seems better. Look for Low-E safety glass, twin pane.

A: Lowest level in the house. Never in a garage, maybe in Las Vegas and Phoenix, but not here. If that thing ever pops, you don't want it running all over the finished upper level(s) of the house. Best place is in furnace room, on the concrete slab, with a drain nearby. If I were building new, I'd get one of the in-line models that heats on-demand and has no tank at all. These can be added to older homes if desired.

It would seem to be cheaper to buy a basement already finished than having to pay to have it finished?
A: About half of the people who sub this out to handyman firms usually are not happy with the job in one or more respects. If someone is not a really good handyman, they are ill-advised to try this as a DITY project. We had our builder do the job, giving us what amounts to a second house on the downstairs level.

Other must have’s?
A: Not really "must" have's, but a lot of 'nice to have' features. Copper pipes, internet wiring, tile to the ceiling in master shower and over the range hood, built to 'green standards' of the home building trade, lots of can lights, built in book shelves, garage door openers, pull down stairs to attic, extra lights/outlets in garage, low-traffic street, away from highway noise, mountain view, covered porch, deck made of composite material like Trek, good appliances, large closets, dual sinks in master bath, high ceilings, ceiling fans, good counter tops (Silestone, Granite, Corian).

Thanks,

Dave
My replies are the "A" lines, above, in blue.

Myself, the smaller the lot size, the better. The more xeriscaping, the better. The less grass, the better, as there's less to water and mow.

My favorite brand new areas to refer people to are Cordera, Wolf Ranch and Cumbres Vista. All are right on Powers Blvd.

My favorite established area up here is the Briargate area near Research and Union as that spot puts you in walking distance or a 1-mile trip to the YMCA, shopping, banks, hospital, doctors, Lowe's, etc. It borders on Powers, is established with all construction over and done, and has fine schools very near by. See the Zip 80920 Photo Tour of Briargate.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
So our question is:

Yes, really. I pat myself on the back every day I see the folks on the back side dealing with their north-facing driveways, when I can just wait a few hours to have Mr Sun take care of the heavy lifting for me.

We have a finished subterranean basement (fully underground, not a walkout or garden level), and that's where we hang out in the summer, very rarely needing the AC. It stays in the mid 70s through a 95 deg day. I think dual AC is a waste of money...many homes in the area have no AC at all. As far as heat, I can open/close heat registers to control things without a second air handler.

Fireplaces in general are not an efficient means of heating the house. They're for show...and as useful as your design taste makes it.

Sprinkler systems?

Common in newer houses. On a related topic, a xeriscaped (low water usage) yard will save a lot in water bills. Colorado Springs water rates just got hiked 41% this month, so watering a big green yard in our alpine desert environment will prove to be a monthly and well-deserved spanking.

Sump pumps?

Required by code in houses with non-walkout basements. And on a related note, Radon gas is an issue in the area. Most houses with sump pumps can have systems put in that use the sump well for a Radon mitigation vent system.

That's for you to decide. It's good to be able to put your car(s) inside in winter, and still have room for storage, workbench, etc.

Sure it makes a difference, mostly in maintenance. Energy use is driven more by other factors. And I can't recommend an energy-star rated house enough.

The whole-house units are relatively cheap ($200-500) and do a good job at times when the heater is running regularly. Most whole-house units don't work with AC, and there'll be a good part of the year you won't use either. I use both a whole-house unit in winter, and a portable at other times..

Most snowfalls here tend to melt off in a few days. It's a city ordinance that your sidewalks have to be cleared 24 hours after the snow stops...so the importance depends on how much you hate to shovel the few times a year it's needed. Personally, I think it's money wasted to pay a big HOA fee for frills like that.

Low-E value windows are important for energy efficiency. They make good ones in vinyl and aluminum.

Anywhere a leak could cause flooding is a bad location.

I like a finished basement here because it stays cool in the warm months...cool enough that I rarely need AC. Having the work done while the house is occupied is a messy proposition. If you think you want one and can afford it, have it done prior to move-in.

Other must have’s?

Lots of electric outlets. My builder put outlets everywhere. It's a nice touch.

"Can" style light fixtures that can accomodate compact fluorescent bulbs.

Integrated wiring for internet/phone/TV distribution is a very nice feature. And if high speed internet access is important, you need to consider that, as some newer areas on the N side are only served by slow 1.5 Mbps DSL...and some not at all. High speed options include Comcast Cable (~8Mbps) and Qwest DSL (1.5/7/12/20 Mbps, depending on location) where available. There are also wireless options like Falcon Broadband and Mesa Networks, and also ATT 3G cell-based...all the wireless options are slow in comparison to cable or DSL. There's a lot of info already on this forum about the various options.

Utilities within the city limits of Colorado Springs are provided by Colorado Springs Utilities, and are considerably cheaper than the rural services in areas like Peyton, Falcon, etc. CSU provides electricity, gas, water, and sewer in the city.

Water is a huge issue outside the city limits. Some areas are served by private water associations, some houses are on private wells. There is much written on the forums about wells, aquifer issues etc. Must-read stuff. Many newer houses outside the city limits have well permits that only allow inside domestic use...no car washing, no lawn watering, not even water for your pet prairie dogs.

HOAs. There are some expensive ones, and some that want to tell you how to dress for dinner in your own house. Most are fairly benign, but it bears investigation.

School district. D-20 is generally considered the best, but it'll cost you. If you don't have kids, living in a different district can save you a thousand dollars or more a year in property taxes (but can also adversely affect resale value).

Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Main level laundry room!!! NO ONE likes going UP or Down with dirty or clean laundry a bazillion times!!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM

227 posts, read 1,043,999 times
ABSOLUTELY agree with south facing house. We are south facing - honestly I never shovel snow, well ok, the last blizzard of Dec 26, 2006 where we got 2 feet of snow, yeah I shoveled. A little. My poor neighbor across the street who faces north - her driveway, walkway, grass, all are ice-rinky a lot.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave101 View Post

Other must have’s?

Thanks,

Dave
$50 per square foot

Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,359 times
To add to and reaffirm some comments above:

Energy Star: saves you utilities money, helps with resale and home value

Stucco, Stone, Brick: helps with resale and home value, some thermal sink benefit

Xeriscape: saves you utilities money, helps with resale

Good Pikes Peak View: helps with resale

If the Driveway is not South facing, East or South-East also works well due to sunrise from the plains and snow/ice needing to melt in the morning. Side benefit is a backyard facing Pikes Peak for bedroom views and backyard barbeques.

Three car garage: helps with resale

Other things help with resale as well but those listed above more so. Remember some things can't easily be added changed on a home without greater cost. Something like a whole house humidifier (which I recommend) can easily be added to a central air system at low cost.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,504 times
Hey everyone has added some really good info here and I had just a few things to put in the list. I always check to see how steap the driveway is because it can be a pain to drive up it in the snow or ice. Also a slipping hazard too. IMO Granite counters aren't needed at all because it needs maintence yearly, if they aren't a filled surface (to make it smooth) then it needs to sealed every year to keep food out of the pores of it. I have had a really good experinece with a local Handyman company that kicks butt! I am a DIY'er on our houses but with me being overseas we had to get someone to finish a bunch of work on your Victorian. And he surpassed what we were looking for without breaking out piggy bank. Also a few times it took less amount of time we were quoted and he gave us money back. DO research the HOA's fully because we have found some tough ones out there. Vinyl windows are the best out there besides the new style wood frame ones (but these cost a small fortune). Master baths are a good reselling point and some people like the ones with a tub/ free standing shower.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,359 times
On the comment about granite needing to be sealed, many granites that are mostly black in color have very very low porosity. Black granites can have porosity as low as 0.2% (one fifth of one percent) where other granites can have as high as 4% porosity.

From: http://www.aquamix.com.au/files/Aqua_Chat_Apr_07.pdf (broken link) a sealer maker that actually admits darker granites do not always need sealers! Bravo for not just trying to sell product!

"Selecting a lighter coloured granite for example in most cases will mean having higher porosity hence the need for a sealer where as a darker younger granite being much denser may not need one."

Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
You may want to look at "patio homes" - these are single family homes. There are many developments of patio homes that are "main level living" with a full basement (usually finished). The HOAs will vary but usually the landscape, snow removal and trash removal is done by the HOA. I sell many homes (of all types - condos, townhomes, single family) in HOAs - you or your agent must do some homework!
In this market you will have a huge variety of choice and the bargains will be impressive.
all the best!
Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs