Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 PM

64 posts, read 288,558 times

Advertisements

I've read through a number of threads here and got good information but I haven't read them all so I appologize in advance if all of this has been covered.

After a few months of looking into different areas of Colorado to live my husband and I feel like Colorado Springs fits what we want. I suppose I'm just coming to the source to be sure I'm at least mostly right. We have always wanted to live near or in the mountains and it would seem that Colorado Springs is a more affordable area with great views and access to different parks. We considered Ft Collins for quite a while (I would prefer a smaller city) but I really like that Co. Springs is older and has a bit more character but I could be really wrong about that? I came originally from Erie, PA (snowbelt....feet of snow at a time) and it was a nice small city (maybe 150,000 people) that was over 200 years with a simple feel to it. I loved that part of living there and am really intimidated by a much bigger city. Is it a managable city? We are moving there next month but we have no ties....no friends or family to show us around. I also want to know what there is to do as far as sites (maybe not so much the parks as I can look into those on websites) or restaurants, bars, clubs, museums or lakes. Things that don't really have their own websites. What are the venues like there? My husband and I like to go see bands and live music...is there a good scene for that? We also have a young daughter (she'll be 2 in June) so what are some family friendly places to go? I've got a while before I need to worry about schools but are there clubs or groups that I can bring my daughter to so that she can make friends and interact with other children? I appreciate any info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 PM

565 posts, read 1,846,912 times
Do you have a job lined up already or are you monetarily self sufficient? When people talk about choosing a place to live then start asking about jobs it seems backwards - find the jobs first then pick among the places where you have job offers. Colorado Springs unemployment is lower than the national average but is high for Colorado right now. The population here is also highly competitive with military retirees getting retiree preference for government jobs and a general high percentage of college graduates. Don't know your situation, but worth mentioning.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 288,558 times
I appreciate the thought....I forgot to mention that my husband has his own business and we are self-sufficient in that aspect. He works on the road and his job brings him mostly into Colorado/Utah/Wyoming areas, particularly Rifle Colorado and Cheyenne Wy. The Rifle/mountain areas are too expensive for us to go right into and Cheyenne is beautiful but not close enough to the mountains.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 AM

454 posts, read 1,224,057 times
Well when you talk about live music there is a few places around. Downtown should have a few things going on and I know Blacksheep has alot bands playing too. We go to America The Beautiful Park in the summer on wedsdays for the Farmer market that has live music. My wife takes my daughter to Chapel Hills mall to play at the in door play ground. Also they do have some kid oriented parks like Bear Creek that are also fun. And she definitely loves the Zoo. So good luck.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 AM

140 posts, read 440,799 times
Live music is great in the Old Colorado City area...

Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM

565 posts, read 1,846,912 times
Yes, lots of parks in Colorado Springs...and not only the typical city parks but large areas of trails such as Garden of the Gods, Fox Run Park, etc...

There is a smaller city feel to Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City even though they are very near to downtown Colorado Springs.

Colorado Springs is a larger city but it is spread out with amenities available at each end making it very manageable.

For kids, I suggest the great outdoors here. My daughter loves to go hiking, biking, and rock scrambling. There are also plenty of other activities such as tumbling, the usual sports groups for kids, YMCAs, kid fun centers...

Old 03-01-2009, 12:32 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,989,467 times
I think you'd find Colorado Springs to be a great place for your family. It's not too big of a city, about 610,000 total. Pretty much all the big city amenities. World Arena gets most big concerts. Garden of the Gods is a great place for stroller friendly hiking. In Colorado (I've seen these as far east as Columbia, MO) is Old Chicago. The location in downtown Colorado Springs is a real fun spot to have dinner. Pizza/pasta type of place, and has more different styles of brews than you knew existed. Views of the mountains are great. And it sounds like you'll be closer to your husband's work too. Seems like a good move for you.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM

54 posts, read 146,462 times
I've lived in Colorado Springs for over 30 years. It definitely can feel like a small town attitude but we are spread out from the mountains to the prairies. With your young daughter you will find plenty of things to do and an endless list of parks to play at. We also have many kid play places like Mr. Biggs, Little Mr. Biggs, ITz, ArtSports, PumpItUp, and the list goes on. It's key to get into a neighborhood where there are parks, walking trails, and schools close by so that you get to know your neighbors to make you feel at home right away. You have a good list from other "Posts" about the music venues. Also, did you know that we have over 300 days of sunshine in Colorado Springs? We have great weather here. You will always need lotion, sunscreen, water, and a jacket for when the weather changes quickly when the clouds come over the mountains. Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs