U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM

71 posts, read 287,709 times
Okay, so I drove out from Arizona yesterday (800 miles in 12 hrs)...just s I could go scout Wodland Park today but by the looks of things, there is a blizzard...at least thats what it looks like to someone from Arizona.

Anyone know if the 24 is even drive-able for a 4 cyclinder??? I'll be here until wednesday but I'm anxious to get up there to see my new town!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,117,246 times
It is snowing pretty good up here, well over a foot on the ground and climbing. I haven't been out today (got the day off!) but the wife made it to work fine (AWD+snow tires). I haven't heard that the pass has closed, so if you want to venture up here, just take your time and drive slow! The good news is that Sunday and beyond will be 50+ and sunny, so most of the snow will be gone by Tuesday. I've seen the plows quite a few times, so they are trying to keep on top of it. Welcome to WP!

Or spend Fri/Sat exploring the Colorado Springs area, since that is kinda your new town as well. Venture out east on Powers to check out the newer part of town.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEricHarris View Post
It is snowing pretty good up here, well over a foot on the ground and climbing. I haven't been out today (got the day off!) but the wife made it to work fine (AWD+snow tires). I haven't heard that the pass has closed, so if you want to venture up here, just take your time and drive slow! The good news is that Sunday and beyond will be 50+ and sunny, so most of the snow will be gone by Tuesday. I've seen the plows quite a few times, so they are trying to keep on top of it. Welcome to WP!

Or spend Fri/Sat exploring the Colorado Springs area, since that is kinda your new town as well. Venture out east on Powers to check out the newer part of town.
Thanks for the welcome Eric. Yeah, 'll probably venture out around the Springs area today and we'll see about tomorrow. It's mazing how quiet snow actually is!!! This is a "trip"!!! Sometimes I think I might end up like Chevy Chaase in Funny Farm!!! lol

Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM

We moved from Vegas in March 2008, and came up here to scope out the area in February 2008. For the first 5 days we were in Colorado Springs/WP, it was 60-70. Then on our way back to Vegas we got stuck in a blizzard in Trinidad near the NM border. We had to get a hotel since they closed I25. Amazing how fast the weather can change here!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Walked around for a hour and I would highly suggest you stay away until Sunday. 9 out of 10 cars on the road are 4x4/awd and even they are spinning a bit when starting from a stand still on the inclines. The FWD cars were spinning a lot, having a rough time.

You can see some pics I posted here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/8391498-post15.html

We should have no problem getting over 2' by tonight, and who knows after tomorrow!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM

64 posts, read 248,112 times
It's hard to believe there is going to be a foot more tonight! I've been shoveling all day....every hour or two there's another 5-6" just waiting to kick my butt. My arms feel like Jello. On a more positive note....it's beautiful out there! Can't wait to hear what you think Funbunch!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM

I couldn't resist...the sun came out about 2:00 pm in COS and when I checked the WP Web Cams, it seemed do-able...so I drove up to check it out. Absolutely gorgeous!!!! Winter wonderland all the way!!! It was kind of scary driving up there...ice, slush, etc...but made it there and back unscathed.

I want a donut at the Donut Mill!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 PM

64 posts, read 248,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBunch7 View Post
I couldn't resist...the sun came out about 2:00 pm in COS and when I checked the WP Web Cams, it seemed do-able...so I drove up to check it out. Absolutely gorgeous!!!! Winter wonderland all the way!!! It was kind of scary driving up there...ice, slush, etc...but made it there and back unscathed.

I want a donut at the Donut Mill!

I knew you'd love it! It's an amazing little town....definitely a postcard kind of perfect! So have you found a few places to look at? When do you guys plan on moving?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little city max View Post
I knew you'd love it! It's an amazing little town....definitely a postcard kind of perfect! So have you found a few places to look at? When do you guys plan on moving?

I was going to meet with my Realtor today to look at about 5-6 houses...but we pushed it to tomorrow (tentatively).

I'll be driving back to AZ wednesday then bringing the family out May 30...at least thats the day we are leaving...it will probably be a 2 day trip with the U-haul truck.

There were actually alot more businesses than I expected...restaurants, stores, etc. I would have been fine with less, but it's nice to have some options too.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 AM

214 posts, read 1,174,404 times
FWIW, when you head home if you're going to the Phoenix area take a left at Holbrook and work your way down through Payson. Not all the way to Flag and down 17. You'll save a good hour. (done this trip more than a few times)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs