U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 AM

1,931 posts, read 4,291,000 times
I am an educator and have done several projects throughout the school districts in town.

I know that the private and charter schools pay their teachers less. Teachers who don't get hired by the public school system get hired into these private and charter schools and wait/hope to get hired into the public school system.

The charter schools that recieve high performing scores screen the students to ensure they have high scores.

These private and charter schools don't fork out large sums of money for a variety of teacher trainings and for other special/specific things that make schools work efficiently. For an example, for our growing autism population, some local school districts will hire out BACB (applied behavior consultants) to work with students/teachers/paras/parents. Some good money there.

Curriculum in your charter and private schools are no different than what is being used in public schools except the teachers are being trained on it - high turn over equals training one small group and they leave and the new teachers aren't trained it. Other school districts will offer continuous trainings for their teachers on curriculum.

Public school districts do host charters and there are opportunities for trainings, but at a cost. Keep in mind, charter and private schools are in the business of education = %. Public schools, having the state behind them, do more for the student and family...hence why you often see financial distress in public school systems.

The benefit of having your child in a private or charter school is that you are guaranteeing that the children your child goes to school with has parents who has a vested interest in their child's education.

However, in general, we have several public districts in town with the same population...D20, D38, D12 are top notch districts. The families who attend take education seriously and are active in their child's education and often school. These families have parents who have attended college and grad school which in turn is closely correlated to their child's success in school= high test scores.

Additionally, D38 has a variety of families- high and low socio-economic. This is a true represenation of our general society and gives children the skills they need to deal with real world. There is a larger population of educated higher end families up in D38 and generally this means your child will have a great opportunity to make better friends = better choices. Of course, we all know that anything can happen even to the best of families. I know teachers up in that school district and what goes on up there, its a great district. A lot of good things going on in those schools. The teachers demand excellence and teach with enthusiasm and experience. They are a great team and have great parents who volunteer and participate in school functions.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-31-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Fix a typo, add spacing. Thanks for a great posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,331,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBunch7 View Post
As a Christian myself, I have given some thought in the past to putting my kids in a Christian School...but the reason I don't and in fact I'm very passionate about it is this...

The world in which our kids must "compete" is is NOT a Christian World. If the kids go through K-12 then even go to a Christian College with "like minded", "safe" people always around, what will they do when they go to work for XYZ Company and there's corporate back stabbing and a dog-eat-dog mentality? What will they do when faced with the secular world in any number of situations? It's not to say that they won't come accross temptations such as drugs, promiscuity, etc even if they are in a "Controlled" environment like a Christian School. I jest feel that to make the largest impact, I want my kids to be an influence on those who have never heard of Christ. For some people, my kids are the ONLY Bible they'll ever read. If I put my kids in "ABC Christian Academy", it stands to reason most of the kids there if not all, already have positive influences in their life.

This is just my own personal opinion and I do not mean to offend anybody who may have their kids in a Christian school.
I respect many Christian beliefs and ideals, I respect many Buddhist beliefs and ideals. I think there should be a strict separation between church and state, but I also believe that freedom of religion in the U.S. is sacrosanct.

I say these things merely to give you a perspective on where I am before I say that I really respect your viewpoint and the way in which you have stated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs