Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Event Center?
Yes, It will be a benefit to Colorado Springs. 6 60.00%
No, The Phil Long Center is all we need. 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-Urbanist View Post
If a new CC, it MUST be downtown. I don't think I could tolerate another mindless decision made where moving a great civic piece anywhere outside of downtown. If it's on any ballot for anywhere other than downtown, I will personally persuade people all over town to get it shut down (which shouldn't be too hard in this town). However, if downtown, I will definately be for it completely!
You mean you don't want it out in Bannen Lewis Ranch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,651 times
Quote:
If a new CC, it MUST be downtown. I don't think I could tolerate another mindless decision made where moving a great civic piece anywhere outside of downtown. If it's on any ballot for anywhere other than downtown, I will personally persuade people all over town to get it shut down (which shouldn't be too hard in this town). However, if downtown, I will definately be for it completely!
I don't see any need for it to be downtown. It is something where people need easy access and parking and hotels nearby. Putting everything downtown might work well in some cities where there are a couple interstates that allow access but, our downtown will likely have limited growth until better E/W access in created.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Quote:
Convention Centers do take up a lot of land, and that land has to come from somewhere. (Just look at the number of blocks Denver's Convention Centers take up). If downtown, I would insist that there be NO destruction of historic property involved. (This was sadly NOT the case in Denver, even though the final product is nice). Ideally, it would be built on a brownfield industrial site.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
I don't see any need for it to be downtown. It is something where people need easy access and parking and hotels nearby. Putting everything downtown might work well in some cities where there are a couple interstates that allow access but, our downtown will likely have limited growth until better E/W access in created.
That would really be sad if you guys did not build it in downtown and then you could forget about your downtown ever being a world class downtown. In fact you guys would not even be able to compete with Pueblo's downtown as the states second largest.

One example is Orlando, they did not put their convention center downtown and while the area has seen tremendous growth over the past 20 years their downtown continues to struggle to find it's identity.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-11-2009 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That would really be sad if you guys did not build it in downtown and then you could forget about your downtown ever being a world class downtown. In fact you guys would not even be able to compete with Pueblo's downtown as the states second largest.

One example is Orlando, they did not put their convention center downtown and while the area has seen tremendous growth over the past 20 years their downtown continues to struggle to find it's identity.
How does having the convention center downtown help make it a world class downtown? I think our downtown is more historic than modern. To do a big city style modern downtown we would need to build more new hotels and business parks at the expense of the historic sites. I'm happy with downtown Colorado Springs as the government center with some surrounding businesses and historic/quaint night life. Our city is tending toward multiple business areas and the fastest growing one is on the North side just off of I-25.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
How does having the convention center downtown help make it a world class downtown? I think our downtown is more historic than modern. To do a big city style modern downtown we would need to build more new hotels and business parks at the expense of the historic sites. I'm happy with downtown Colorado Springs as the government center with some surrounding businesses and historic/quaint night life. Our city is tending toward multiple business areas and the fastest growing one is on the North side just off of I-25.
Yes, agree. Our downtown is very nice as it is, no need to load it up with so much stuff that we lose sight of it and don't even recognize it. I like the Interquest area best, or the far north end of Nevada second best. I still dislike turning our downtown into a high density 'coastal' style city with a dense core that leads to horrific hub-spoke commuting patterns.

To concentrate all the big draw items into a tight downtown center creates too much mass and congestion in one spot. Dense cores make "close-in" real estate unaffordable for the vast majority of locals who end up living ever further out from the core and setting up commuting patterns that create instant gridlock. BTDT in Baltimore and DC for 57 years. COLO SPGS is refreshingly different and I hope it stays that way.

Our city layout is unique, linear, along the Front Range and I-25. I see us as being unique among larger American cities in that we did not expand equally in all directions from an original city bullseye, like Denver. The mountains to the west kept COLO SPGS strung out in a north-south orientation. We cannot change geography, so it's best if we spread out the big draw venues along that same orientation.

Someday we'll get rail passenger service on the tracks that already parallel I-25 and the Front Range and serve our 'distributed' city. We can have smart, walkable urban villages strung out all along our corridor, like a string of pearls.

Back to the OP, yes, I'd like a bigger expo center and prefer a modest-size convention center. I'd like it in a spot that can accommodate growth for the next 40 years, be erected quickly for least cost, and not wreck our cool downtown.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 AM

There is no reason why you cant keep your historic part of downtown, well what's left of it anyway, and have a convention center, Pueblo has done that. We built our convention center by our new Riverwalk and left space so they both can expand. That has created a need for more hotels, condos, restaurants, and shops in downtown making a once rundown area of town the trendy place to be. Even during this down economy there is more development planed for downtown Pueblo then since the 1990's.

Why build the convention center away from downtown and let all the business, shops, restaurants and hotels go there? The Interquest business park is nice but do you really want that area of town to be the center, because it would if that's where you built the convention center. Why not keep the center where is should be, downtown.

Also, you are not unique in how you grew, north - south. Just look at Chicago, San Diego, LA, Cleveland or Milwaukee. What you are unique in is the lack of attention given to your downtown, and urban planning, just like LA, that is why you are more spread out then the city of Denver with less population.

Keeping the same growth polices you have had for your cities future will be the reason why Pueblo will always have a larger downtown then Colorado Springs. Like it or not cities are judged on their downtown's not their suburbs. So if you don't mind having a small downtown while other cities pass you up while haveing your city image be the tech park north of town, then build your convention center at Interquest Business Park.

Then again, I think this is all academic anyway as I would be surprised if voters in the Springs ever passed a bond issue to build a convention center.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-12-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
I voted no because I think city money should be spent elsewhere right now.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I voted no because I think city money should be spent elsewhere right now.
Interesting, where do you think money would be of the most benefit currently? I was thinking a larger convention center would be a stimulus boost to the city with an ability to attract more businesses to relocate here (or just stay here). Short term it would employ part of the construction population that has lost work as the new housing construction declined here.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
The Phil Long Expo Center is private property.
Have we forgotten the World Arena? It's held several state wide conventions as well as the more well know concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs