Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,789 times

Advertisements

I currently own a landscaping business here in Minnesota. I started out in Minot, ND and moved my business here when I got married. Although I was anxious about the transfer, it has been nothing but successful. The main pro is that in this area, I can work in multiple cities and have unlimited resources. We are planning on moving to Colorado this year to make permanent roots. How is the market for Colorado Springs and its surrounding areas for landscaping? On average, how many months out of the year is it possible to landscape?
We are planning a trip there in April and are eager to learn more information. Ultimately I want to start my business there but am thinking about starting out under a company to grasp the new area and get used to the area's differences. Can anyone suggest a good company? Do you have any more information that I could use? [Mod Cut] Thank you for your time!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-24-2007 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: No seeking of business allowed in the forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I've seen some of the insane green thumbs around here running their sprinklers on a sunny weekend day, or my neighbor- who's got his sprinklers going off every morning now. I ran my sprinklers a couple weekends ago just to find out I've got to replace a pipe before the manifold. I still got the lawn watered though.

So, I'd say that it's time to start thinking about landscaping in the Rockies. Trees are budding. Here's the scarry part; any snowstorms that we get from here on out are gonna be the heavy wet ones that bring tree limbs down.

I can't speak for Colorado Springs, but here in the Pueblo and Pueblo West area, xeriscaping is a good idea. That mixed in with rock and a small lawn is a good idea with our arid climate and frequent water bans. I hope we have a reprieve from that this year with a descent snowpack.

If you're gonna get into that business out here, you might consider getting into the tree cutting and snow removal business for the winter months.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 AM

188 posts, read 933,686 times
Xeriscaping is big in Colorado Springs. My daughter had that done when she bought her new house. So did her neighbors.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 32,173 times
Cool Hello Minnesota

I'm in Pueblo, 45 min. south of C.S. and I know the landscapers around here do very well. The season here is very long. You can usually work outside without a jacket from end of Feb. (not this year its been very wet year) to Oct. I see them laying sod in October and sometimes later. I am in the home design business [Mod Cut] and my contractors are busy nearly all year. They slow mid Dec. thru Jan. but I am already at half of the projects I had all last year. Springs (as we call Colorado Springs here) is a bigger city (5X). Its a nice place, I like it, but also has terrible traffic (none here) and housing and living is a lot more expensive. Pueblo West is residential area that reaches from the Pueblo Reservoir to half way to C.S. A lot of people live there and commute. Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnabailey View Post
I currently own a landscaping business here in Minnesota. I started out in Minot, ND and moved my business here when I got married. Although I was anxious about the transfer, it has been nothing but successful. The main pro is that in this area, I can work in multiple cities and have unlimited resources. We are planning on moving to Colorado this year to make permanent roots. How is the market for Colorado Springs and its surrounding areas for landscaping? On average, how many months out of the year is it possible to landscape?
We are planning a trip there in April and are eager to learn more information. Ultimately I want to start my business there but am thinking about starting out under a company to grasp the new area and get used to the area's differences. Can anyone suggest a good company? Do you have any more information that I could use? [Mod Cut] Thank you for your time!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-25-2007 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: No links to your biz. Put that in your Public Profile.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM

19 posts, read 61,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetjanetbobanet View Post
Xeriscaping is big in Colorado Springs. My daughter had that done when she bought her new house. So did her neighbors.
I will be moving to COS this summer from the NW. What is Xeriscaping?
Does anyone have recommendations for a good landscape design company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs