Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times

Advertisements

Hello, i have been silently reading this forum for a few weeks now, just trying to get a feel for the people and the area.

This will be my first trip to the Rocky Mountains, and i'm really looking forward to it. I will have a rental car and i'm staying in Colorado Springs. Irealize i'm not going to be in Colorado long enough to do everything i want to do, but i plan to get some sightseeing in. The ony event i have to attend is a clinic on Monday April 13th, other than that, i am free to roam the coutnry side.

I've read a lot of good things about the Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak, so those two are definately on the top of my list of things to do. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I do see that the Rockies are playing the Phillies at Coors field on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th. So i may try to catch one of the ball games.

Thanks ahead for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
As for tourist attractions: If you're a fan of Zoo's, the Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo is top notch and better (though smaller) than the Denver Zoo, IMO. Otherwise, if you're into Art/History Museums and the like, then Denver will serve you better.

That said, as a one-time tourist, my #1 priority would be taking a hike in the local moutnains, weather permitting, or at least driving some of the high country routes (once again, weather permitting).

Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks treedonkey.

Would a drive up Pikes Peak be one of those high country routes you'd recommend, or is there a better drive close buy as well?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Thanks treedonkey.

Would a drive up Pikes Peak be one of those high country routes you'd recommend, or is there a better drive close buy as well?
Well, PP is definately a must-see, and if you're strapped for time it's by far the closest 14er and also the most famous Mtn. in the state if not the country (or at least the lower 48).

But by 'high-country' routes, I'm talking about something like taking Hwy. 24 out of CSO, via Buena Vista and leadvill, then meeting up with I70 to head in toward Denver. Two serious problems with that though:

1) It's easily a 6-8 hour drive, without stops., so it's a lot to cram into one day.
2) Weather may make it really tough going... hard to tell though.

There are some really nice, shorter routes if you want to save some time but it's not quite the same level pf scenery though.

In any case, have a gr8 visit.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 PM

I'll just have to see how much time i have and see if weather will permit me to take that Highway 24. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
If you're a train fan, try the Royal Gorge Train, in Canon City, an hour or so from COL SPGS.

If you're a big eater, set aside Sunday morning, the 12th, for the incredible Sunday Brunch at the Broadmoor. Make reservations, this is Easter Sunday and they'll be busy. All parking by valet. Casual attire, no sweatsuits, not at all snooty, been there many times. There are at least eleven eateries at the Boadmoor, so if you want to try a friendly French place, the Penrose Room is the place. For great steaks, try Dave's The Famous Steakhouse in the downtown, or for a much more casual thing downtown, try Jack Quinn's Irish Pub. Our downtown is safe, small and walkable. If you want exotic meats, go to Manitou Springs (where the cog railway is) and try the somewhat pricey Craftwood Inn (Elk, Wild Boar, Kobe Beef, etc). We pack a lot of variety into a relatively small city.

Royal Gorge is comparable to your New River Gorge, though a lot narrower. There's a theme park at Royal Gorge, with a suspension bridge you can walk over to get to the other side. Also a cable car over the gorge, etc. Over 700 feet straight down, too narrow for base jumpers, IMO, and nothing but rocks all the way down to the Arkansas River. They have a funicular that takes you down to river level, all the way from the top of the gorge, cool ride.

Baseball in Denver is fun, that area is called LoDo, full of bars, eateries and stuff, you could make a day of it. We also have a local AAA team here in COL SPGS, the Skysox. Skysos tix are cheap, park at the door, lots of fun, but baseball weather here is iffy, can be quite cold, even in June or July if a front comes through.

You'll need warm clothes for the mountains in April. The drive suggested by TreeDonkey is a good one, if the weather is clear and the roads are open, you can get a quick once over of the high country. There is a tourist train in Leadville too, and one in Georgetown as you come in I-70 towards Denver.

Too bad you don't have two weeks.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
In Denver, the natural history/science museum is nice. There are also Botanical Gardens in the same area. If you're a fan of South Park, you should go to Casa Bonita and get some sopapillas.

In Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak highway is good, as is the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, imho.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM

76 posts, read 293,035 times
I don't see other people recommending it a whole lot, so maybe I'm an oddball, but we recently went to the US Olympic Training Center and it was pretty fun, especially for free. It's a couple of hours at most, but it was fun to see where [some of] our Olympians train and look at the hall of fame.

Carrie

Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springshomeblog View Post
I don't see other people recommending it a whole lot, so maybe I'm an oddball, but we recently went to the US Olympic Training Center and it was pretty fun, especially for free. It's a couple of hours at most, but it was fun to see where [some of] our Olympians train and look at the hall of fame.

Carrie
Congratulations on being in the local news lately with your coupon tips for frugal shoppers.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM

76 posts, read 293,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Congratulations on being in the local news lately with your coupon tips for frugal shoppers.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs