Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,289,201 times

Advertisements

Hi, I searched the threads and found some great info on different neighborhoods in the area. My husband will be working at Cheyenne Mtn AS and we'll be looking to rent a house for around $1300. We have young kids so schools are important. The D12 area seems too expensive for us. We're planning a trip out there in May to check things out. Briargate, the Powers area (Stetson Hills, Spring Ranch) and maybe the southern part of Fountain seem pretty decent and affordable. Any thoughts on these areas as far as commute time? Closeness to shopping? Can you rate these areas best to worst? Thanks!!

Last edited by cjmeck; 04-06-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 AM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
My usual suggestion for folks is to look at School District 20 (D20) which lies north of Woodmen Rd, just a few miles north of Springs Ranch and Stetson Hills. Don't rule it out until you see the area.

In the Powers corridor, north of Woodmen, the sub-divs heading north up Powers are: Cumbres Vista, Wolf Ranch, and Cordera, with the latter being the consensus pick as the better of the three due to the rec center and other amenities.

Briargate is essentially on the Powers corridor, across Powers from Cordera and Wolf Ranch, but larger and more established.

All of these are in D20. If you haven't already, look in the index for the zip 80920 / Briargate photo tour, Briargate topics, school topics, etc, and don't overlook the search tool with whatever key words are of interest to you.

Commuting from D20 to the work site is only a few minutes longer than from Stetson Hills or Springs Ranch, not a biggie.

Tremendous shopping, eats and movies on the Powers corridor, from S. Carefree to up past Barnes. If you move further up Powers (above Woodmen), the area and houses are newer and the less traffic noise you get. IMO, higher ratings go the newer stuff.

Be sure to see these areas when you get here. There are rentals in your price range. There's a thread here recently on websites to look at for rentals, there are several. Zip code for Cordera, Wolf Ranch and New Homes Colorado Springs, New Home Builders | Cumbre Vista New Homes is 80924; for Briargate it's 80920. Homes in these sub-divs are/were built by some of the better builders in the area, and there are rentals in most of these areas, as well as Briargate.

From Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Colorado-Springs_CO_80924_1108168655 - broken link) here is a home in Wolf Ranch with 4BR/4BA/2Car, etc.

There are 34 rentals now in 80920 on realtor.com which is just one of many sites you could search.

Best of luck to you.

s/Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Thank you so much! I found your picture parade of Briargate and that was so helpful! Are you running for mayor?? lol It seems the nicer areas are north of town and will be worth the commute for my husband from Cheyenne Mtn. I appreciate your help and advice; we'll check it all out next month.
Jennifer

Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Thank you so much! I found your picture parade of Briargate and that was so helpful! Are you running for mayor?? lol It seems the nicer areas are north of town and will be worth the commute for my husband from Cheyenne Mtn. I appreciate your help and advice; we'll check it all out next month.
Jennifer
Jennifer, thanks for the kind words. I'm not with the Chamber of Commerce or the city, and I'm not a realtor either (though I like them). I'm just a retired Army civilian from DC, having fun helping people as they come here.

Lots of people commute from 80920 and 80924 to Carson, Peterson, and Cheyenne Mtn. D20 has tons of USAF families who see to it that D20 is financially strong, with an emphasis on science that feeds into aerospace careers.

Check in with us often, and use that search tool, whether your interest is any or all of these keyword topics: pizza, Italian, crime, weather, climate, parks, hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, skiing, rentals, churches, driving, culture, arts, music, Irish, Greek, Mexican, hockey, baseball, sports, ......

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-06-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 AM

565 posts, read 1,841,253 times
MikefrombackEast mentioned D20 commuting being not much further than Stetson Hills or Springs Ranch. Actually, going to Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, Briargate can be a shorter commute being nearer to I-25. With Stetson Hills or Spring Ranch, you have a shorter commute to Peterson AFB or Shriever AFB but to Cheyenne Mtn. you have to take city streets much further.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times
I would think that D12 is not really too expensive for you. Yes, there are more expensive parts of that district, but I would think you could find something for $1300 without much trouble.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
MikefrombackEast mentioned D20 commuting being not much further than Stetson Hills or Springs Ranch. Actually, going to Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, Briargate can be a shorter commute being nearer to I-25. With Stetson Hills or Spring Ranch, you have a shorter commute to Peterson AFB or Shriever AFB but to Cheyenne Mtn. you have to take city streets much further.
Good info! I was looking at mapquest and thinking that might be true, so thanks for pointing that out.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I would think that D12 is not really too expensive for you. Yes, there are more expensive parts of that district, but I would think you could find something for $1300 without much trouble.
I was looking on realtor.com and the houses in our price range were pretty run down looking... But we aren't moving until this summer, so I imagine more rentals will be popping up soon. Thanks, I'll keep the look out for a bigger selection in that area. We're kind of thinking we want to live a little closer to Peterson since we'll be there frequently for the amenities, doctor, ect... Thank you for your help!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM

454 posts, read 1,219,085 times
I wanted to move to D12 for the last 3 years but there houses are pretty expensive for what they are. So we did buy a place in D20 but on the West Side of I25.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 AM

565 posts, read 1,841,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
I was looking on realtor.com and the houses in our price range were pretty run down looking... But we aren't moving until this summer, so I imagine more rentals will be popping up soon. Thanks, I'll keep the look out for a bigger selection in that area. We're kind of thinking we want to live a little closer to Peterson since we'll be there frequently for the amenities, doctor, ect... Thank you for your help!
My family goes to the AF Academy for their doctor visits - very convenient to Briargate. The Commissary and PX are small at the Academy - Peterson and Ft. Carson are good sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs